Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers (UPD: Dell claimed by NJ, Spezza Clears)

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Dell's stats the past two years are pretty similar to Hutchinson's. So doesn't really matter either way.
Ya i agree, but there are undeniable demons Hutch has in TO. Say what you will about it shouldn't have an effect...it does. Would have much preferred a clean slate with AD, but c'est la vie. I think i read a tweet saying something to the affect of "if the leafs ever required the services of AD, they were always going to be in trouble anyway". which is likely true. That said, if freddy goes down, it would have been nice to have a solid B-Up to soupy

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't think the PA would have agreed to that. Dell, and others in his position, might get a chance to play some games now.

They might. Or they might spend multiple months this season in quarantine having to pass over the border multiple times.

Look at that dude Carolina claimed. They told him to stay in Edmonton. So he was literally doing nothing as the team that owned his rights is in another country

Last edited:
Reactions: Critical91

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
who cares about Dell. I would understand the panic if it was Campbell on waivers, but with Andersen and Campbell really Dell was just a contingency plan in case who worse case scenario happened.

Just saying, as a business person I can tell you the last thing you want to do is jerk people around because eventually, no one will want to work for you or help you. The guy got custom Leafs equipment made. He was clearly excited about being a Leaf. I understand why they had to make this move but it's not as simple as "who cares about this guy". I guarantee he's pissed and people that matter notice these things. Money isn't everything.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just saying, as a business person I can tell you the last thing you want to do is jerk people around because eventually, no one will want to work for you or help you. The guy got custom Leafs equipment made. He was clearly excited about being a Leaf. I understand why they had to make this move but it's not as simple as "who cares about this guy". I guarantee he's pissed and people that matter notice these things. Money isn't everything.

He signed knowing he was the #3 goalie, and that no team ever keeps 3 goalies on the roster indefinitely.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can't figure out why Dell signed with us in the first place. He knew he was going to be the 3rd string goalie here and should've easily had offers to be a teams 2nd string goalie.

Guaranteed money at the right time. Of nobody else is calling the same time as thr Leafs, a guy like him can't exactly risk missing out on being paid

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Spezza passing through was 100%predictable.

Its a pity about Dell, but that's why management was smart to sign Hutch. Odds are the 3rd string never even dresses let alone plays regardless

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Thought Dell would have been a solid insurance backup. Also I really wanted to see his gear in game action - those pads were something else.

I’m happy Spezza is sticking around. Guy is a machine in the dot.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad Money Mitch got that extra million per. Depth is nice, but it's more important to give 8 figures to an offense-first guy with a muffin shot and no physicality.

(Sorry, I should be over this by now).

Reactions: Anthrax442

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad Money Mitch got that extra million per. Depth is nice, but it's more important to give 8 figures to an offense-first guy with a muffin shot and no physicality.

(Sorry, I should be over this by now).

If mitch was only getting 1m, the leafs still wouldn't carry 3 goalies all year.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

What exactly are you proposing?

That the Leafs carry 3 goalies all season in a year when they are trying to contend?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting they decided not to invoke LTIR yet, even though the math is well setup for doing so at the moment. Wonder if they haven’t signed off yet on the duration of Robertson’s injury, or are just trying to milk a little more cap space without invoking LTIR.

If it’s the later the team is okay at least through tomorrow. The potential downside risk is if someone like Engvall, Lehtonen, Barabanov, or Sandin is recalled and injured. That could leave the team in a situation where the optimal LTIR cap solution is no longer available, or could require more waivers to achieve.

Reactions: Confucius

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I know Dell isn't some masterclass prospect or secret weapon sleeper backup, but now Hutch is our third and has to use up a taxi spot :facepalm:

Really couldn't have done pretty much anything else to keep 3 goalies on our roster???
Reality is that any goalies better than hutch is getting claimed.

It is what it is.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

Dell was told and was fully aware that he will be moved to the Taxi squad. Same goes for Spezza, he was also told by management that he would be on waivers at some point. Management has been very upfront and honest with these players. They still signed here.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad