Confirmed with Link: Jason Robertson SIGNED (4 years, $7.75m AAV)

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Shout out to that kid on twitter a couple weeks back that said he was an insiderrrr and Robo wanted nothing less than nine. Incredible work.
I apologize, I misremembered it. The quote was “Jason Robertson wants 8 years at $11M AAV. THAT is the ask and he isn’t budging”. So it’s even better than I thought.

Reactions: Satan

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Happy he is signed but I don’t like the term. When this contract is up he is going to want term and be 27. Isn’t that the same age as Benn or Seguin when they signed their contracts that are handicapping this team right now? Why the hell would you set yourself up for the situation again?
Is your policy just to never offer someone older than 26 a contract? I wouldn't let the fact that Benn and Seguin's bodies imploded guide the decision making on every player. The aforementioned largely relied on dynamic athleticism whereas Robertson relies on intelligence.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Is your policy just to never offer someone older than 26 a contract? I wouldn't let the fact that Benn and Seguin's bodies imploded guide the decision making on every player. The aforementioned largely relied on dynamic athleticism whereas Robertson relies on intelligence.
If it is an 8 year contract at 26+, I would be very cautious if it was my decision. I imagine any team that dealt with a situation similar to our Benn/Seguin situation will be as well.

I recognize that I may be overreacting based on what has happened with Benn and Seguin but it's tough not to with the affect their play and contracts are having on the team right now.

Regarding Robertson's longevity, I can see two sides to this. Like you said, he relies on IQ more than anything else which should help his play age well. However, you could argue that he is already a slower skater and if he ever loses half a step that could be extremely detrimental. The team will have to evaluate all of that when it comes time to decide whether Robertson deserves the risk of an 8-year contract at the ancient age of 27 ;)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Power to you if you think that signing a guy that can't skate into his mid 30s is a good idea but it's time for this organization to start respecting aging curves. You're going to have to pay JRob when he's 27 for another 8 years based on how he's performed in the absolute peak of his career, there's absolutely no need to do that if you can avoid it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Fans want to lock Hintz into a deal taking him to 34.... Now JRob too. I'm just saying that it's more likely than not that our guys aren't special enough to avoid the impact of Father Time.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Power to you if you think that signing a guy that can't skate into his mid 30s is a good idea but it's time for this organization to start respecting aging curves. You're going to have to pay JRob when he's 27 for another 8 years based on how he's performed in the absolute peak of his career, there's absolutely no need to do that if you can avoid it.
I suppose Colorado should've walked away from MacKinnon? Hey, maybe they should have. Maybe relentlessly churning the roster like a college football team is the smart play and will be looked at as a revolutionary advancement in a decade. I actually agree that players' primes are at a much younger age than is commonly thought. But that's not how hockey decision makers who take into account brand strength, team culture, continuity etc. presently operate.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I suppose Colorado should've walked away from MacKinnon? Hey, maybe they should have. Maybe relentlessly churning the roster like a college football team is the smart play and will be looked at as a revolutionary advancement in a decade. I actually agree that players' primes are at a much younger age than is commonly thought. But that's not how hockey decision makers who take into account brand strength, team culture, continuity etc. presently operate.
You don't churn through them. You sign great players like JRob to 8 year deals when they are young instead of 4 year deals. Bet on their potential if you believe in them. You get them through their prime and then when they are likely starting to trend downward by the age of 30 you decide whether to just walk away or negotiate a new contract.

MacKinnon is different. When the player is one of the absolute best in the game you make exceptions.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Comparing MacKinnon to JRob is laughable and you know it. It's way easier for COL to re-sign him after winning the cup. If our franchise is in a similar situation, I'll have no issue with it, especially if Jason puts up several 90 point seasons (good luck Jason!!).

There's nothing wrong with moving on from players after theyre out of their primes. Especially if teams do a good job of selling exciting players in their farm system to fans (The Stars have not done this well). More and more NHL teams are doing it and it will be common place as analytics continue to be pushed. Teams are signing guys from 21/22 to 27-30 and they will move on from them.

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Comparing MacKinnon to JRob is laughable and you know it. It's way easier for COL to re-sign him after winning the cup. If our franchise is in a similar situation, I'll have no issue with it, especially if Jason puts up several 90 point seasons (good luck Jason!!).

There's nothing wrong with moving on from players after theyre out of their primes. Especially if teams do a good job of selling exciting players in their farm system to fans (The Stars have not done this well). More and more NHL teams are doing it and it will be common place as analytics continue to be pushed. Teams are signing guys from 21/22 to 27-30 and they will move on from them.

You have to have exciting players in your farm system first. There are no guarantees that we continue to have those players, or that our current ones pan out.

Unless you're planning to pull off a Huberdeau-for-Tkachuk style trade every time a young franchise-level talent reaches their mid to late 20s and wants term, this is a recipe for massive failure at an organizational level. Letting elite talent walk just to potentially avoid cap pain down the road obviously is not going to lead to success very often.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
PDB is the happiest man in Dallas right now. Wonder if he’ll try out the jrob/hintz/pavelski combo

Reactions: Elysian

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Hey guys, I was just looking stats up for fun and looked at Robertson's draft year in Kingston. He's a big body, had a great year with over 40 goals, outscoring the next best scorer on his team by 30 points; why wasn't he drafted earlier? Was there any concern with him translating to the NHL?

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Assuming some of these perspectives have changed? Looks like the perfect deal to me. He's starting to produce at Hart levels, and if he does so for the next 4 years we will have gotten that production at bargain basement prices, while shedding Benn and Seguins contracts. If he keeps it up, there's no issue offering him a huge deal.

I also think part of it is we should know what we have with the likes of Johnston and Stankoven who look like tracking a similar trajectory (amazing if either somehow turn out this good lol). If they turn into genuine NHL superstars, then we should have some flexibility with what we might want to do (not saying we'd let Robertson go, but lots of things can change in 4 years).

Reactions: Tofveve

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This was about the most the team could give Robo. He's playing at a level i don't think we quite expected but in a more offensive system 90-100 points wasn't an unreasonable guess of what he could produce after last season. You score 41 goals in the ultimate turtle when leading system you've shown you have the talent for more.

Reactions: Tofveve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad