Confirmed with Link: Jason Robertson SIGNED (4 years, $7.75m AAV)

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Kind of a weak deal. Can't wait until they end up paying him so much more on the next deal that he's the new Jamie Benn we're bitching about when he gets into his 30s. :laugh:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Glad it’s done.

Robertson is gonna get paid in 2026. Might be a 100M contract by then.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Just hang tight Jason, Sandman Hotels is busy paying Seguin's salary this year.

Reactions: Elysian

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Shout out to that kid on twitter a couple weeks back that said he was an insiderrrr and Robo wanted nothing less than nine. Incredible work.

Think he said he wanted $11m AAV or something no? And people on Twitter believed every word of it of course

Reactions: Elysian and LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Oof, for the next 4 years this is great, but it gives Robertson 100% control to walk if he wants to. All he has to do is go to arbitration, get 1 year, and go straight to UFA. The Stars kicked the can down the road while they aren't competitive so they have to pay up when they actually need the money.

Think he said he wanted $11m AAV or something no? And people on Twitter believed every word of it of course

Hah, anyone who believed that was out of their minds. He might as well have asked for the moon, how are the Stars going to clear cap to get to $11M? I'm assuming Robertson has a competent agent who knows how shit the contracts on the team are.

Reactions: Elysian

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Happy he is signed but I don’t like the term. When this contract is up he is going to want term and be 27. Isn’t that the same age as Benn or Seguin when they signed their contracts that are handicapping this team right now? Why the hell would you set yourself up for the situation again?

Reactions: Hull Fan

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yeah I get that they wanted to split up Robertson and Oettinger's contracts but the four year puts Dallas in a bad situation come time to renegotiate. One year RFA, bigger cap, he's going to get paid and take that extra term into his mid thirties. Not sure Nill handled this right at all. A two year bridge would have been better imo.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Yeah I get that they wanted to split up Robertson and Oettinger's contracts but the four year puts Dallas in a bad situation come time to renegotiate. One year RFA, bigger cap, he's going to get paid and take that extra term into his mid thirties. Not sure Nill handled this right at all. A two year bridge would have been better imo.

I could see a potential argument for a 3 year bridge, but why a two year bridge after which none of the major contracts would be ending so cap space would just appear?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Meh, I'm fine with it. Would have liked long term. I will say Nill f***ed up by not getting this done a few months ago before his price went up thanks to other signings. Then again, maybe JRob's camp purposely waited to see how the market played out. If a few months ago he wanted 8X8 or 8.5 and Nill declined, well that is a royal f*** up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad