Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm hoping that it falls in somewhere between $5-$5.5 million AAV

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 17 s
Five-year, $28 million extension for Jason Pominville with #mnwild...($5.6 AAV)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think it's a good deal. Good job by Fletcher & co.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well we need him so got it done. hope he's nice and focused tonight!

P10p

May 15, 2012
Good deal. Term is and money are a tad bit high. But that all depends on how Pommer produces. Also, we didn't want to take the chance and have this carried into the season. We gave up too much to risk letting him walk. Great job Fletch!

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
$5.6 million/year is a bit higher than the perfect contract, but its in the range of a reasonable number.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Btw, can anyone think of a team with deeper character depth then the Wild? I mean even most of our prospects just ooze of leadership and accountability. Add to that the skill level of some of our players and I'm feeling great about this team.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Ouch. Don't like the timing or the terms. Fletcher seems to be too much of a nice guy. Players get all their wishes.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ouch. Don't like the timing or the terms. Fletcher seems to be too much of a nice guy. Players get all their wishes.

He would've gotten more on the UFA market.

I don't mind the AAV, just would've preferred one less year on the deal.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
He would've gotten more on the UFA market.

I don't mind the AAV, just would've preferred one less year on the deal.
Almost certainly. It's also an irrelevant point.

I'd be okay with the AAV if there was at least a year less on the deal, and he'd played a while first and showed that he fits on this team and his head injury didn't affect his game. This extension takes him to nearly age 37. Too long. This deal is very risky for us. And there was no need to make it risky.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Genies only grant 3.

The timing is perfect, because any distraction is avoided. The term is fine and Fletch only had to give him a $300k raise.

This. It's a big deal to get this out of the way right now. Now JP can put this all behind him and should add even more of a jump to his step in tonight's game.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN

I'd be okay with the AAV if there was at least a year less on the deal, and he'd played a while first and showed that he fits on this team and his head injury didn't affect his game. This extension takes him to age 37. Too long.

It is certainly not irrelevant. If we had offered him much less than his agent valued him, then he would not have signed with us because of the allure of unrestricted free agency.

As far as the AAV, he only received a $300 k raise. If you don't like the term, that's fine. You don't like anything... ever.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I'd be okay with the AAV if there was at least a year less on the deal, and he'd played a while first and showed that he fits on this team and his head injury didn't affect his game. This extension takes him to age 37. Too long. This deal is very risky for us. And there was no need to make it risky.

And if we play hardball on the years, and he leaves, you'd be screaming about giving up 4 assets for a rental. The money and the term is fine. The extra year isn't going to keep us from doing anything we want to do.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
And if we play hardball on the years, and he leaves, you'd be screaming about giving up 4 assets for a rental. The money and the term is fine. The extra year isn't going to keep us from doing anything we want to do.

Exactly. From the outside looking in, it appears as though Fletcher is working the cap brilliantly. With Heatley's deal coming off the books after the season and the cap rising quite a bit (as is expected), the Wild will have plenty of options available to them. And I'm sure he's mindful of staying flexible enough to pay the youngsters when they are up for extensions, as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad