Player Discussion Jason Pominville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
That was Yoe's system, same could be said for Granny and Koivu. I don't know how much of that was Coyle playing like he was told, and how much that was actually Coyle's game.

Fair enough; perhaps he could thrive as a center in BB's system, we just don't know yet. Unfortunately though he just seems too streaky to be able to take over and be the dominant center we need.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I actually felt the opposite during the season. Seemed like when he played center he just kind of dropped back to defense too early and was never really assertive.
From an offensive standpoint, he drove play much better as center and carried the puck more.

As a winger, it seems like he just wants to be a gopher in the corner and then goes to the front of the net. Good to have bur he can do more.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From an offensive standpoint, he drove play much better as center and carried the puck more.

As a winger, it seems like he just wants to be a gopher in the corner and then goes to the front of the net. Good to have bur he can do more.

I think that was more about who he was playing with. In the lower lines he was more assertive on the lines regardless of position. His game went into passive mode In the top lines, working for players who are better than him in his own mind instead of just being aggressive like he should.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think that was more about who he was playing with. In the lower lines he was more assertive on the lines regardless of position. His game went into passive mode In the top lines, working for players who are better than him in his own mind instead of just being aggressive like he should.

He got out of that when Torch came in to coach. His confidence on the ice sure did, it looked like he was having fun for the first time in awhile.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That was Yoe's system, same could be said for Granny and Koivu. I don't know how much of that was Coyle playing like he was told, and how much that was actually Coyle's game.

That's not just Yeo's system. That's just how the Wild play.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
This thread was well hidden.
No wonder, most liked the deal a lot. The happiness starts on page 2.

I just checked, if I posted anything like that. Nope, luckily not.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Just think what the contract would have been if he waited until after the 13-14 season to sign. 30/30 year and he carried the team for portions of the season. And if he hadn't gotten injured right before the Playoffs and chipped in 4+ points in 12-13.

Parise missed 15 games
Koivu missed 17 games
Granny missed 19 games
Coyle missed 12 games
Heatley was useless
Harding was lost after X-mas to MS. Drop off from .933 SV%/1.65GAA to a .909SV%/2.57GAA

The Wild had 98p and still finished 7th in the Conference.

In the things that could have been worse catagory (all within the realm of possibility):
-the Wild could have thrown stupid money at Moulson
-resigned Heatley
-resigned Stoner to a contract similar to what the Ducks did

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

Luckily? Imagine how your life would be if you had posted, for example, "I like this." or "I'm happy". Your life would be destroyed now.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Luckily? Imagine how your life would be if you had posted, for example, "I like this." or "I'm happy". Your life would be destroyed now.

Oh god the embarrassment! Better not post any good/bad judgements on any players anymore, that way I can always be right in hindsight!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Pominville was a 30/30 player in the season he signed the extension. There were plenty of reasons to be optimistic about him being signed long term.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

When he re-signed, it was good to retain him, because we needed a RHS-RW who could score goals, and the term and money wasn't good, but the cap projections were that we would be looking at a $90 million cap right now.

But that has nothing to do with our ability to change our opinions and go-forward strategies in light of changes to the day.

Pominville is a middling at best payer, who is not going to "bounceback", and he is horrible overpaid by $3.5 million/year. Wild also have cap concerns now that Granlund, Zucker, and Nino are finally breaking out.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Still, the part that really hurts is needing his permission for a trade. It's what makes any suggestions of dumping him for spare parts kind of a silly exercise.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Still, the part that really hurts is needing his permission for a trade. It's what makes any suggestions of dumping him for spare parts kind of a silly exercise.
This has been gone over a thousand times. Its a limited NTC. He can be traded to certain teams. And even if it were, players waive to go to a better situation.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm really hoping they sit him down and ask him to waive his NTC for the good of the team. We could leave him unprotected, LV wouldn't take him so he still gets to stay here.

I believe Russo floated that idea a while ago.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm really hoping they sit him down and ask him to waive his NTC for the good of the team. We could leave him unprotected, LV wouldn't take him so he still gets to stay here.

I believe Russo floated that idea a while ago.

They should time the meeting for the coldest day of the winter. LV might actually sound pretty good to him. :sarcasm:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This has been gone over a thousand times. Its a limited NTC. He can be traded to certain teams. And even if it were, players waive to go to a better situation.

Except we don't know who those teams are. And it's hard to imagine him going to a "better situation" unless he's been benched by the Wild for a month or something. Otherwise, he's currently getting playing time, and not producing in it; it's not like he's been consistently buried on the 4th line or something.

Anyway, I just don't think we have much evidence so far that CF is enough of a hardass to make it happen; the Backstrom situation is the only thing that comes close.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Except we don't know who those teams are. And it's hard to imagine him going to a "better situation" unless he's been benched by the Wild for a month or something. Otherwise, he's currently getting playing time, and not producing in it; it's not like he's been consistently buried on the 4th line or something.

Anyway, I just don't think we have much evidence so far that CF is enough of a hardass to make it happen; the Backstrom situation is the only thing that comes close.

Does it really matter? Just pick 10 teams that don't have the cap space, look to be contenders, or don't need a RW at the deadline for submitting his list.

Hawks, Pens, NYR, TB, LA, MTL, Caps, Bos, Det, Ducks. Off the top of my head that couldn't/wouldn't take him without a cap dump coming back.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

Those 10 teams should be easy to guess.
3 Cali, 2 Florida, Hawks, Pens, maybe Rangers or Boston, if he likes the east coast and Vancouver or Toronto for a canadian team.
I think Florida is tax wise a home run, too.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Wait for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad