Jared Cowen is an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Says the guy who thought he was in camp

He hasn't proven anything. Not a damn thing.

If not wanting to break the bank for an unproven player makes me an idiot than so be it

Not wanting to break the bank for an unproven player doesn't make you an idiot.

Claiming that his refusal to back down in negotiations is an indication of poor intelligence however, does make you look like an idiot.

WhiteLight*

Not wanting to break the bank for an unproven player doesn't make you an idiot.

Claiming that his refusal to back down in negotiations is an indication of poor intelligence however, does make you look like an idiot.

It's called precedent. There is none. Name me a player like Cowen with one season as a 4/5 D that got over $3 million or whatever he's asking.

He didn't get paid last year and it's looking like he won't this year. He's RFA and has no leverage. Other teams are up against the cap and can't make offer sheets. He's fighting a battle he can't win over money he doesn't deserve.

Questioning his intelligence is valid at this point.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
It's called precedent. There is none. Name me a player like Cowen with one season as a 4/5 D that got over $3 million or whatever he's asking.

He didn't get paid last year and it's looking like he won't this year. He's RFA and has no leverage. Other teams are up against the cap and can't make offer sheets. He's fighting a battle he can't win over money he doesn't deserve.

And I think there are a variety of factors that could make a player like Cowen, who many here seem to agree is close to breaking out and becoming a player that is worth the money he is seeking, believe that he should stand his ground and be paid as he sees fit.

I was more offended that you chose to express that point by posting a picture of Cowen's face to make the claim that he looks stupid, so he must be stupid.

I mean, what next, should we pull out the phrenology textbooks and take some readings?

To say that he hasn't proved himself enough to be paid what he seeks is certainly valid, but I don't agree that a player who seeks more than he may arguably be worth (on a team that certainly has room on the cap) is somehow stupid for doing so. If I'm wrong, then there must be a lot of stupid people playing in the NHL right now.

WhiteLight*

And I think there are a variety of factors that could make a player like Cowen, who many here seem to agree is close to breaking out and becoming a player that is worth the money he is seeking, believe that he should stand his ground and be paid as he sees fit.

The reality is that the Sens are dishing out the dough and he will get paid as they see fit. They've made fair offers based on his limited time in the league.

I was more offended that you chose to express that point by posting a picture of Cowen's face to make the claim that he looks stupid, so he must be stupid.

I mean, what next, should we pull out the phrenology textbooks and take some readings?

I said in that case, it looks like you can judge a book by its cover. not that you always should

To say that he hasn't proved himself enough to be paid what he seeks is certainly valid, but I don't agree that a player who seeks more than he may arguably be worth (on a team that certainly has room on the cap) is somehow stupid for doing so. If I'm wrong, then there must be a lot of stupid people playing in the NHL right now.

Not initially no, but it's been 3 months and training camp has already started. At some point, you gotta realize you're not gonna win and get what you want. Sitting out means he loses more money.

If he thinks he's worth more, sign short term, and prove it. Or keep signing short term and work your way to UFA.

He's not going to win. Sens have no reason to overpay him. they were successful without him and have a budget.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Justin Schultz and Jeff Finger. And all their names start with a J so I can see why Jared feels he's in the right here.

WhiteLight*

Justin Schultz and Jeff Finger. And all their names start with a J so I can see why Jared feels he's in the right here.

They were both UFA. Close but not quite

Not only is Cowen RFA, but this is a summer where everyone signing after July 5 is underpaid. There's no money and no offer sheet pressure

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The Sens sent him to AHL to enhance his development, and thus enhance his future earning ability. The Sens aren't the ones to blame for Cowen getting $65,000 instead of 900K for sitting on his ass. Cowen was the one that got injured.

The Sens should not have to compensate Cowen for his injury nor should he get paid more than he deserves because he sat on his ass last year.

BOLD -Not sure what you mean by this?

You have reached new lows when you blame a player for an injury that happened during a game.

You have been exaggerating Cowen's injuries in an attempt to make your opinion seem to have more substance. The reality is Cowen has been injured once as a pro. His knee injury was suffer as a junior player 4-5 years ago.

It appears by your many posts on this subject you don't like Cowen for some reason. Its almost like you are taking his contract negotiations as a personal insult by posting pictures suggesting he is not very intelligent.

So while you may disagree with what his agent believes he is worth, I believe there is no reason for the personal attacks you are making.

FYI Cowen received the WHL Western Conference scholastic player of the year and is about to become a multi-millionaire at the age of 22.

So he has been doing something right with his life.

WhiteLight*

BOLD -Not sure what you mean by this?

You have reached new lows when you blame a player for an injury that happened during a game.

You have been exaggerating Cowen's injuries in an attempt to make your opinion seem to have more substance. The reality is Cowen has been injured once as a pro. His knee injury was suffer as a junior player 4-5 years ago.

It appears by your many posts on this subject you don't like Cowen for some reason. Its almost like you are taking his contract negotiations as a personal insult by posting pictures suggesting he is not very intelligent.

So while you may disagree with what his agent believes he is worth, I believe there is no reason for the personal attacks you are making.

FYI Cowen received the WHL Western Conference scholastic player of the year and is about to become a multi-millionaire at the age of 22.

So he has been doing something right with his life.

I'm not exaggerating his injuries. What are you talking about? Yes Cowen has been injured once. And I didn't say it was his fault. It was an accident, and not the Sens' fault. The Sens shouldn't have to pay because he got injured.

I absolutely love Cowen by the way.

He may not be dumb, I have absolutely no idea if he is or not. But fighting this battle is stupid. There is absolutely no history of a player like him being paid what he's asking

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
I think what Cowen is thinking is that Subban got the appropriate amount for himself last year for 2 years. After one insanely stat-padded year and a mind-boggling win of the Norris, Subban is suddenly supposed to be worth quadruple what he initially signed (I don't think so, but it sure sounds like it's what some reporters seem to think).

Cowen's agent is probably using Subban's case to try and make him more money.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
So in the event that we don't sign him for a while.. who replaces him? Our D is not too pretty minus our 1st pairing without Cowen.

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Phillips
Corvo - Gryba?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm not exaggerating his injuries. What are you talking about?

"he's proven he's a depth defenseman who gets hurt."

What were you implying by this statement then???

He may not be dumb, I have absolutely no idea if he is or not. But fighting this battle is stupid. There is absolutely no history of a player like him being paid what he's asking

History means nothing when negotiating contracts, it is simply establishing a common ground where once a deal is struck neither side feels like a loser.

According to reports the Sens have made four proposals of 2, 4, 6 & 8 years.

The only numbers I have seen are the $28M for 8 years and today the $11.4M for 4 years.

Personally I believe Cowen is best with a 2 year bridge deal, in the $2.2M - $2.5M range. It offers him the best opportunity to maximize his future earnings through performance and of course offers the potential to negotiate his next contract in a higher cap world.

Makes me wonder what the Sens offered on a two year deal and is it fair?

Since I believe the Sens don't want Cowen on a two year deal, I would guess their proposal for two years probably isn't very appealing.

So before I jump onto the Cowen is trying to set history bandwagon, this information is key for me.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think what Cowen is thinking is that Subban got the appropriate amount for himself last year for 2 years. After one insanely stat-padded year and a mind-boggling win of the Norris, Subban is suddenly supposed to be worth quadruple what he initially signed (I don't think so, but it sure sounds like it's what some reporters seem to think).

Cowen's agent is probably using Subban's case to try and make him more money.

I doubt it, its more likely to be the projections about the cap rising to the extent it has been forecast.

The NHL has already acknowledged the cap next year would be in the $70M range and this season hasn't even started yet.

So while GMs are taking a tough stand this year due to an artificially low cap, next year the spending will start again.

Therefore it seems plausible agents of these young RFA are more likely looking for teams to pay based on where the cap will be, not today's.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He'll sign on Monday after the face to face meeting. Unless I missed it where the meeting is now cancelled.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
9th overall, Mem Cup, and the Calder Cup are all accomplishments for Cowen. As for "absolutely no player has asked for blah" Luke Schenn got a 5 year deal with an average of 3.5 million after his entry level contract expired.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The idea that the cap is going up to 70 M next season has come up a couple of times now, and I find that hard to believe with the 50/50 split of HRR in the new CBA. It should take 2 or more likely 3 years to get there based on past rates of growth. Can someone please post a link to the NHL using the figure in relation to next season?

I was of the opinion that Cowen would sign the night before training camp, like Kadri did. This situation does not bode well for the Sens at all. They may have to play hardball and let him sit, which is bad all the way around because he is one of the ones who needs this training camp the most.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
9th overall, Mem Cup, and the Calder Cup are all accomplishments for Cowen. As for "absolutely no player has asked for blah" Luke Schenn got a 5 year deal with an average of 3.5 million after his entry level contract expired.

Which he underperformed and ended up getting dumped. Lets not forget who gave him this contract, the kings of terrible contracts. Thinking they may have bought out more players than anyone else since that phenomena has started.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Which he underperformed and ended up getting dumped. Lets not forget who gave him this contract, the kings of terrible contracts. Thinking they may have bought out more players than anyone else since that phenomena has started.

I'm not sure being traded for JVR is being "dumped".

melnyk budget*

he'll sign in a few days.

i don't think murray is focusing on hockey these last few days...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The idea that the cap is going up to 70 M next season has come up a couple of times now, and I find that hard to believe with the 50/50 split of HRR in the new CBA. It should take 2 or more likely 3 years to get there based on past rates of growth. Can someone please post a link to the NHL using the figure in relation to next season?

I was of the opinion that Cowen would sign the night before training camp, like Kadri did. This situation does not bode well for the Sens at all. They may have to play hardball and let him sit, which is bad all the way around because he is one of the ones who needs this training camp the most.

How does the 50/50 split affect how the cap is calculated?

So they are arguing over 400K (2.8 vs 3.2)?

That's not that bad

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He'll sign on Monday after the face to face meeting. Unless I missed it where the meeting is now cancelled.

I think Tim wants to have a face to face on Monday, didn't see where Cowen had agreed to doing so.

It is starting to bother me every contract the Sens have problems with they point the finger at the agent, suggesting a lack of or potential lack of communication between the agent & player.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
sounds to me like Cowen (or his agent) has no brains.
only er excited by money.
bad character which will follow him the rest of his life.
fine.
i will be happy with the sens dumping him.
his attitude sucks

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How dare a player try to get money they feel they are worth. What a *******.

Drew Doughty clearly has a terrible attitude. LA will never win with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad