GDT: January 4th - 2024 | Game 38 | Chicago Blackhawks @ MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I don't think anyone here wants 3 more years of this. As the kids start to come up, you start to fill in with FAs around them. Right now you have like 3 pieces of what is likely your eventual core. Vlasic, Bedard, and KK. Why would you fill in with FAs right now with so much talent in the pipeline. Then you have to pay your own talent, and you can't, because you overspent on
He brought in some players. Injury bug has bit them in the ass. Beauvillier, Hall, etc. You can't help that those guys have gone down with injuries. But this is only year 2 of the rebuild. It's not a time when you want to add a bunch of FAs, or make the team too good. You want another top 3 pick to work with.

You also have to have guys that want to come here that don't want to get overpaid out the ass. Killing your cap space before any of your young players even need contracts is a sure-fire way to destroy a rebuild. I don't disagree. This offseason, he has to give Bedard more help. The kid can't be left on his own like he is, but injuries this year have also impacted that.

I think he likely adds a solid couple pieces via trade or FA this offseason, adds another top 3 pick that likely slots right into the lineup, then see what kids make the jump. Then go from there.
hall was a solid pick up. Beauvillier is another ‘just a guy’

Bedard having no insulation and protection is the biggest issue right now. He should be playing with two bigger veteran wingers who can help him and create space. I've hated his linemates all season. I don't understand the love affair with Kurashev and Bedard on a line. Bedard needs puck retrieval and a strong fore/backchecker more than anything else.
I’d like to see Bedard on wing with Dickinson as C.

Reactions: Pez68

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Richardson coaching is detrimental to youth.

He hates Reichel for some reason and goes out of his way to punish him (Look at the bullshit with benching entire 4th line despite great play a few weeks ago)

Playing with so little talent and then having a coach who actively sabotages development or shows no desire to let kids develop is not a good thing to see

Richardson has shown this year he is not cut out for NHL employment and the sooner Hawks pull plug the better at this point

And his assistants are ass
100% agreed. Reichel is frustrating but with this shit roster and all the injuries, he should be seeing every PP1 unit. I want Richardson gone sooner rather than later.

I don’t think expect him to make chicken salad out of chicken shit but he’s making chicken diahhrea out of chicken shit

Jimmy2Times

Oct 24, 2019
Didn’t watch after the first. Aside from just bad this team is super boring.
So the message people like us are getting is the rebuild will take time. So if that's the case and Bedard is for sure a franchise guy... why should we care until the team is competitive again? Just sit through the next 2 years of Vosters and Panger willingly and watch Bedard learn how to be a pro?

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't think anyone here wants 3 more years of this. As the kids start to come up, you start to fill in with FAs around them. Right now you have like 3 pieces of what is likely your eventual core, and end of the rebuild roster. Vlasic, Bedard, and KK. Why would you fill in with FAs right now with so much talent in the pipeline? Then you have to pay your own talent, and you can't, because you overspent on FAs before you even knew what you had...
I like what Detroit did this past offseason in theory. Inconsequential FA signings for mid/low cap hits and term. Are any of our young players really growing beyond generational-talent Bedard or maybe Vlasic? Our goal differential is trash and this roster sucks even when healthy. I don’t want another season of this. We’ll have one more great draft ahead of us and then KD should start moving forward.

No major UFA signings but we can’t be trotting out this 13th forward level of talent each night with a dcorps from the island of misfit toys. The prospects aren’t guaranteed to grow just because they’re getting pummeled for 82 games.

Keep our 1st rounders, maybe trade our 2nds for NHL talent and sign a Stamkos or Guentzel to a 3-4 year deal. Cap space doesn’t matter for at least 3 more seasons after this one and we can’t be sending Bedard or our other forward prospects to the wolves.

Otherwise I’m worried we’re going to be the next Sabers, perpetually bad while having a loser culture resulting from consecutive failed rebuilds stacking on each other.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

As Pez alluded to, Luke has phoned it in.

As a leader, the last thing you ever want to do is say "I don't know". It's something my buddy told me he was taught in basic, before going to the Middle East and off to war. You have to have an answer in a position of leadership, even if it's not the right answer. Richardson is f***ing lost, and not a leader. Just another "happy to be here" coach, in a long list of them. And as someone else said, his assistants absolutely suck. I would have zero respect for King or Plante. They are f***ing milquetoast. I roll my eyes every time they interview these clowns during the game. They have no answers.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Didn’t watch after the first. Aside from just bad this team is super boring.
The only reason to watch is Bedard and I can get most of that in the 8-12 minutes highlights on youtube.

I can overlook untalented players but unstructured and uninspiring play has me leaving quickly.

Give me SOMETHING!!

Reactions: Pez68 and hawksrule

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
If you want to be competitive, there are certainly alternatives. Sign a small crop of NHL caliber guys that are solid 5v5 and at special teams. Then you'll need great chemistry and coaching to get you higher in the standings then into that 1st/2nd round playoff loss.

The Hawks in the recent golden era weren't competitive though, they were elite.

If you want elite, you can't do it these days by picking up mercenaries in their prime. This is a bottom team, for a serious impact you have to start beyond signing some vets. In a world where you can swing a trade for Dahlin then sign Nylander? Okay, that's a start which would instantly change your entire depth outlook because they're more than points..they tilt the ice every shift.. But that's not going to happen and the vast majority of game changers get locked up in their prime.

They are going to have success or failure on the draft first and foremost. We got a big pool now with lots of picks to come. Trading all that to get into the bubble is a bad idea, we were a crap team with more talent on the roster than we have now, hope they get lucky with their drafts choices.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't get what people expect from this group. Our roster is made up of players making a grand total of 37mil as it stands right now, going up against 80mil teams. It's amazing we have won the amount of games we have won. Say what you want about some of the line up decisions and deployment of players, but no matter what is done, this team isn't even going to come close to competing most nights.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
If you want to be competitive, there are certainly alternatives. Sign a small crop of NHL caliber guys that are solid 5v5 and at special teams. Then you'll need great chemistry and coaching to get you higher in the standings then into that 1st/2nd round playoff loss.

The Hawks in the recent golden era weren't competitive though, they were elite.

If you want elite, you can't do it these days by picking up mercenaries in their prime. This is a bottom team, for a serious impact you have to start beyond signing some vets. In a world where you can swing a trade for Dahlin then sign Nylander? Okay, that's a start which would instantly change your entire depth outlook because they're more than points..they tilt the ice every shift.. But that's not going to happen and the vast majority of game changers get locked up in their prime.

They are going to have success or failure on the draft first and foremost. We got a big pool now with lots of picks to come. Trading all that to get into the bubble is a bad idea, we were a crap team with more talent on the roster than we have now, hope they get lucky with their drafts choic
you first build thru the draft, then you trade for RFA's then you sign a UFA or 2 to fill in. we are going to get 2 really good players in the draft and then we have 5 more picks in the top 70. even if we were fully healthy we are probably around OTT which looks to be the 4th worst team. this year we added 3 players that look like they can be part a championship team. Bedard, KK, vlasic. at this point we bombed on reichel and Soda. Maybe they bounce back, I think at least 1 more D moves up next year. A top 4 pick hopefully makes the team and Nazar. so next season 8 players not including seth would be part of our window. Im happy with slow and steady. what we had before was brutal.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't get what people expect from this group. Our roster is made up of players making a grand total of 37mil as it stands right now, going up against 80mil teams. It's amazing we have won the amount of games we have won. Say what you want about some of the line up decisions and deployment of players, but no matter what is done, this team isn't even going to come close to competing most nights.

Some kind of identity. Consistent effort. Young players being put in a position to succeed. Some sort of progress in development, or structure? Not really asking much.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Some kind of identity. Consistent effort. Young players being put in a position to succeed. Some sort of progress in development, or structure? Not really asking much.
Hard to do when half or more than half the team is literal AHL players, far less talented than their opposing players, and a consistent change in who is available to play for the team on a nightly basis. I'm not saying the coaching hasn't been questionable at best, just that this team is doomed no matter what happens.

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That is asking for a lot.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think that was a valid point earlier in the year. These last 5-10 the roster is so bad I almost expect all losses.

I am not an all in Richardson guy but he's in an impossible situation these past 5 or 10.
Agreed, and he is still trying to win games, not just develop players that probably shouldn't even be in the NHL at this point.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hard to do when half or more than half the team is literal AHL players, far less talented than their opposing players, and a consistent change in who is available to play for the team on a nightly basis. I'm not saying the coaching hasn't been questionable at best, just that this team is doomed no matter what happens.
The roster is out of their hands. Work ethic is not. Having the team prepared to play is not. Conditioning is not. Icing the best roster from the players available, is not. The shit roster is compounded by playing garbage like Tinordi and Reese Johnson almost every night. The shit roster is compounded by not surrounding your best player with the most logical linemates.

The power play continues to be a joke because they have no idea how to coach it. Zone entries aren't difficult. Setup is not difficult. Watch some f***ing video of teams that know how to coach a power play, and mimic it. These are professional hockey players. They can make basic passes. Especially when they have an extra guy on the ice. They are capable of executing the basics of a functional power play.

The team is devoid of talent, but there are much bigger concerns when you pay attention to the details.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The roster is out of their hands. Work ethic is not. Having the team prepared to play is not. Conditioning is not. Icing the best roster from the players available, is not. The shit roster is compounded by playing garbage like Tinordi and Reese Johnson almost every night. The shit roster is compounded by not surrounding your best player with the most logical linemates.

The power play continues to be a joke because they have no idea how to coach it. Zone entries aren't difficult. Setup is not difficult. Watch some f***ing video of teams that know how to coach a power play, and mimic it. These are professional hockey players. They can make basic passes. Especially when they have an extra guy on the ice. They are capable of executing the basics of a functional power play.

The team is devoid of talent, but there are much bigger concerns when you pay attention to the details.
All of that stuff is really difficult when you have the worst roster in the entire NHL, mostly made up of guys who shouldn't even be in the NHL to begin with..

Reactions: ClydeLee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad