Pre-Game Talk: January 13th ~ 56 games for 2021 (NHL Season)

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Expanded rosters and taxi squads will probably help a lot of currently unsigned vets/tweeners land jobs. Most teams are not going to want their prospects in those sort of roles, assuming the AHL actually manages to get off the ground of course.

I'll bet that teams will be allowed to artificially exceed the cap by a certain amount. Teams build their rosters based on a 23 man roster cap - not fair to hold clubs to the same standards with a 26 man limit. Players on the taxi squads should not count against the cap until they are added to the active roster.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Expanded rosters and taxi squads will probably help a lot of currently unsigned vets/tweeners land jobs. Most teams are not going to want their prospects in those sort of roles, assuming the AHL actually manages to get off the ground of course.

I'll bet that teams will be allowed to artificially exceed the cap by a certain amount. Teams build their rosters based on a 23 man roster cap - not fair to hold clubs to the same standards with a 26 man limit. Players on the taxi squads should not count against the cap until they are added to the active roster.
What about teams that won’t be carrying 23 man active roster due to cap reasons. Some teams ran with 21 last year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Our prospects can get back to work then eh.
The Canadian division is garbage, wouldn’t be totally shocked if we make the playoffs but I’m expecting and a little hoping for another super high pick

On the other hand, I would be totally shocked if we finish any higher than last in a Canadian Division.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No quarantine for Ottawa players,
Rumours of a 4 team AHL division in Canada, Winnipeg, Toronto,Ottawa and Montreal.

Puzzled. Why only 4?

I could see the 7 Canadian NHL teams having 7 AHL teams playing games to ensure that their prospects get more experience. Might even add another 8th team (a USA NHL team's prospects) to make scheduling easier.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
What about teams that won’t be carrying 23 man active roster due to cap reasons. Some teams ran with 21 last year.

Hard to say.

The simplest way to do it may be to have a set-up with two separate caps, so to speak. A club's active roster is capped at 81.5M and under that a team can carry 20-23 players as normal. Then you could have an expanded roster cap where a team could carry 3 players with a combined cap hit of 4.5M for example. Taxi squad players don't count until they are moved to either the active or expanded roster.

Of course, you couldn't allow teams to move players onto the taxi squad with impunity, otherwise the Leafs would be shifting Matthews and Marner over on their off days to accrue cap space.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lots to figure out i suppose

At the end of the day, you just can't apply 2019 rules to the current situation so this only happens if compromise and flexibility becomes the words of the day

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Puzzled. Why only 4?

I could see the 7 Canadian NHL teams having 7 AHL teams playing games to ensure that their prospects get more experience. Might even add another 8th team (a USA NHL team's prospects) to make scheduling easier.

because those are the only 4 Canadian AHL franchises

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
OK. Might have to augment that though to treat all Canadian teams equally.

I guess only way is to have 3 western teams move their AHL teams north for 1 year
But cas no it see AHL teams flying east and west, just too expensive for AHL

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
AHL teams help arrange or pay to find lodging for their players - must be close to just buying out a hotel in a city like Belleville or Ottawa ?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No quarantine? Has the league released the return to play format ?

Ya no quarantine between Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba , it’s nothing new, and no they haven’t, it’s what being surmised like every other thread the last 6 months.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya no quarantine between Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba , it’s nothing new, and no they haven’t, it’s what being surmised like every other thread the last 6 months.
Obviously I wasn’t talking about government enforced quarantines.

All sports leagues have implemented a quarantine period before joining teams. It will likely be a certain number of days of negative tests before participating in practices or meetings.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Obviously I wasn’t talking about government enforced quarantines.

All sports leagues have implemented a quarantine period before joining teams. It will likely be a certain number of days of negative tests before participating in practices or meetings.

US based players or international arriving in Canada, quarantine for 14 days unless, they get government exception. So basically need to leave in a few days for Canadian based teams, can't wait around to see if exemptions are granted.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

giphy.gif

Reactions: Back in Black

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00