Post-Game Talk: Jan 16 - Flames were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked, lose 2-1

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau's in a slump. These things happen.

But he's also not the same player on the road that he is at home.

So far this season:
10 points (2G, 8A) in 20 games on the road.
33 points (17G, 16A) in 23 games at home.

Gaudreau's an incredibly competitive guy. He'll figure things out.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
In the big picture this was the best case scenario.

-Dominated the Oilers, just ran out of time to a goalie standing on his head.
-Learned a quick lesson about keeping foot on throat for this road trip
-PP could see some practice / tweaks.
-Hiller pads stats seeing 30+ easy muffin saves.
-Get a point.
-Oilers get 2 Charity Points, which we prefer they get to keep them from drafting too high.
-we didn't actually lose, shootouts are a joke and only joke teams like Edmonton rely on them.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

-Get a point.
-Oilers get 2 Charity Points, which we prefer they get to keep them from drafting too high.
-we didn't actually lose, shootouts are a joke and only joke teams like Edmonton rely on them.

Some honest questions.

You really thought the Flames dominated that game? Had the better scoring chances for sure but even the coach said they played in the defensive zone far too much and Hiller made some very nice saves of his own.

Do you really think it matters where the Oilers draft?

Do you really think a team with 8 of its 20 wins on 3v3 should be calling other teams a joke?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

-Get a point.

In no way, shape or form did the Flames dominate the Oilers over the course of the game. They dominated the first twenty and last ten minutes of the game, but that's it. The Oilers had all of the play outside of that and the Flames were playing prevent defence.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Whoever coaches the special team should be fired and hire someone to help. It's very simple business logic.

If I am that incompetent on my job, I would have been fired long ago.

If the Flames dont do anything about it, they deserve to be where they are.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY

-Get a point.
Come on now, that's Calgarypuck talk right there. Both teams had periods of domination. Calgary had us pinned in our own zone at the end of the game which scared the **** out of me. Close game again though. Hopefully one day these two teams will have a true battle of Alberta. Right now, we both aren't that great.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
In no way, shape or form did the Flames dominate the Oilers over the course of the game. They dominated the first twenty and last ten minutes of the game, but that's it. The Oilers had all of the play outside of that and the Flames were playing prevent defence.

I think that's being generous. I thought the Flames played a good 10 in the first and about 5-8 in the last, otherwise the Oilers were the much better team.

Aug 21, 2014
tumblr_n4gqgiQJ3v1sykvbko1_400.gif

Flames had a great first period. Problem was so did Cam Talbot. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nah they were outshooting us 30-10 after the 1st period, they wanted goals, we tried to protect the lead.

It didn't seem like that many shots though. My brother and I were talking about how boring the game had been through most of the third. We were both surprised to see how much Edmonton outshot us. They didn't have many scoring chances at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually thought the Yakupov and Kassian line, was one of the better ones for Edmonton.

For us, I thought Bennett and Backlund looked dangerous all night. Gaudreau was consistently pushing the play, but he's having lots of trouble both with execution in getting the puck through to the net and with completing passes. He's been being hacked quite a bit lately and I feel like he might have a wrist injury.

Monahan had some good chances, I thought he played solid. I think Ferland also quietly had another good game and didn't look out of place at all. I was really hoping he and Kassian were gonna go.

Brodie had some of the worst luck I've seen. But Talbot was incredible last night and was easily the games best player.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Gaudreau's in a slump. These things happen.

But he's also not the same player on the road that he is at home.

So far this season:
10 points (2G, 8A) in 20 games on the road.
33 points (17G, 16A) in 23 games at home.

Gaudreau's an incredibly competitive guy. He'll figure things out.
We also need to remember that he's still a sophomore in this league. In the long run, I have no doubt he'll become more consistent.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
PP killed again. One goal on the power play and we leave with two points. Special teams are going to be the reason we don't make the playoffs this year; and it's annoying...

Also didn't like that the Flames took their foot off Edmontons throat during that game. Had'em on the ropes in the first, sustained pressure and you can forget about it during the second.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Johnny looked really depleted of confidence until the 3rd period. After the Oils defense knocked the puck off him a couple times, he looked less advantageous when he posessed the puck. He also seems too reliant on others to chase the puck for him when it's loose. I thought Monahan had an excellent game, Hamilton was great, and Hiller was solid.

Great things to build off of, but it was just the passive play and Talbot playing in beast mode that caused the loss. I thought the PP overall was not that bad, especially the latter half of them were really good where we moved it around pretty effectively and had great scoring chances, but Talbot was just solid on those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad