Injury Report: Jamie McGinn out “Indefinitely” After Back Surgery

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Sucks for him.

Does anyone know how long they mean by indefinitely? Year long injury? 4-6 months?
Maybe why they brought in Brouwer?

Reactions: CHGoalie27

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
McGinn actually has permanent back issues: "McGinn suffers from a genetic back problem[15] that plagued him extensively during his pre-pro career. Cortisone, rehab, and major surgery in the summer of 2008 helped alleviate the pain, though the lingering effects still plague McGinn, especially due to his high-pace playing style."

Sucks for him, he's not the 4th liner I want out of the lineup. At least this opens some room.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
upload_2018-9-14_11-13-57.png

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
That sucks, likes having him in the lineup. He was a good spark plug on the ice for us. Hope he's not done for the year and can comeback down the stretch to provide us some boost towards end of season n playoffs.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Depends what kind of surgery it is. If they can go in with a less invasive 1 inch incision to tweak a disk, he could be back in January. If he needs major open surgery to fuse a few vertebrae, then he may be done for the season. Since his contract is up, he will try to return before the playoffs to showcase himself and see if the back surgery was successful. If not, he will likely have to rely on a PTO. No offers..........he retires. :(

If I did the surgery..........he'd be back in 10 days. :laugh:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Depends what kind of surgery it is. If they can go in with a less invasive 1 inch incision to tweak a disk, he could be back in January. If he needs major open surgery to fuse a few disks, then he may be done for the season. Since his contract is up, he will try to return before the playoffs to showcase himself and see if the back surgery was successful. If not, he will likely have to rely on a PTO. No offers..........he retires. :(

You’re late, people diagnosed him already with pictures.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Depends what kind of surgery it is. If they can go in with a less invasive 1 inch incision to tweak a disk, he could be back in January. If he needs major open surgery to fuse a few vertebrae, then he may be done for the season. Since his contract is up, he will try to return before the playoffs to showcase himself and see if the back surgery was successful. If not, he will likely have to rely on a PTO. No offers..........he retires. :(

I was wondering where the good ol' Brokin-doctor was with his medical expertise. :)

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He’s not a good player for us. Super slow, can’t fighr, barely used his size. Wish him the best, but I hope he’s dressed in a Cats sweater for the last time.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He’s not a good player for us. Super slow, can’t fighr, barely used his size. Wish him the best, but I hope he’s dressed in a Cats sweater for the last time.

Hmm...I thought he had a fine season. The worst thing about him is his contract. Otherwise, 29 points for a 3rd-4th liner isnt terrible.

McGinn-McCann-Mamin was a very good line in my opinion.

He did outproduce Sceviour (but not outplay, not saying that at all), and Brouwer as well.

Having said that, if Brouwer can come close to that production....he IS on a much cheaper contract so it could be a wash. We'll see.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Fighting does nothing for me. He's slow but was 4th in hits in limited minutes and relatively productive considering his minutes. He also set screens and did drive to the net. He's just really overpaid.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Hmm...I thought he had a fine season. The worst thing about him is his contract. Otherwise, 29 points for a 3rd-4th liner isnt terrible.

He did outproduce Sceviour (but not outplay, not saying that at all), and Brouwer as well.

Having said that, if Brouwer can come close to that production....he IS on a much cheaper contract so it could be a wash. We'll see.

The problem with McGinn was that he got plugged into a top six role last year way too often. I'm sure a lot of his points came from that.

I wouldn't mind him on the third line but he is pretty slow and can't see him producing much.

He's gone after this year anyway and with this injury, we probably won't see him again.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Brouwer signing makes sense now.

Top-6 is pretty much set.

I’d prefer Sceviour-MacKenzie-Brouwer just all together on the 4th with Haley as the 13th to replace Brouwer every now and then. With:

McCann-Borgstrom-Vatrano

As my preferred 3rd line.

Malgin and Mamin being the first winger call ups. If a center is injured McCann slides in.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

He can get 29 points all he wants, but he's bleeding more goals than that. So he's a net negative.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The problem with McGinn was that he got plugged into a top six role last year way too often. I'm sure a lot of his points came from that.

I wouldn't mind him on the third line but he is pretty slow and can't see him producing much.

He's gone after this year anyway and with this injury, we probably won't see him again.

This is not necessarily true actually. 13 of his even strength points involced Vrbata, only Bjugstad (before Bjugstad had a top 6 role), Sceviour, and mostly McCann.

He then had 5 Power play points where he was part of the second unit. So it's not as bad one would think.

He isnt a big loss, but he did have a better season than Brouwer (who had a bigger role in Calgary).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He can get 29 points all he wants, but he's bleeding more goals than that. So he's a net negative.

But better than his "replacement" right? He might have been a net negative (-.44 in XGA), but its compounded if his *expected* replacement is Brouwer and or Haley.

He isnt a big loss. I am not losing sleep over it.

If the bottom six was something like this

Vatrano - Borgstrom - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Sceviour

Then I am sure it's fine. His production wont be missed.

But if it's

Vatrano - Borgstrom/McCann - Malgin
Brouwer/Haley - MacKenzie - Sceviour

Then we we will feel it more. and I do expect that to be the bottom 6.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Sucks to lose
One of the only guys willing
To stand in front and throw a hit. And wouldn’t u know all the people whining over brower now have a reason. Goes to show for the millionth time fans don’t know shit about shit and there is always a reason management does what it does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad