Jamie McBain, Defensive Stalwart?

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Plus/minus isn't a perfect stat but McBain has quietly (to me) been +5 over the last 3 games and is behind only Staal/Semin/Tlusty at +13 on the season. There's no doubt he makes some dumb moves on occasion but he must be doing something right.

Going off of the last few games:

#|Game|EVTOI|EVCF|EVCA|EVDIFF|+/-|Pts
1|Penguins|14:15 |1|5| -4 |E|0
2|Panthers|17:31|7|6| +1 |+1|1A
3|@Panthers|15:58|2|7| -5 |-1|1A
4|Sabres|13:47|4|0| +4 |+2|0
5|Canadians|13:46|5|3| +2 |+1|0
6|Devils|14:49|4|2| +2 |+2|0
EVTOI: Even Strength Time On Ice, EVCF: Even Strength Chances For, EVCA: Even Strength Chances Against, EVDIFF: EVCF/EVCA Differential
Stats provided by shutdownline.com

Since returning from injury against Pittsburgh his play has been on the upwards swing. He's by no means perfect but there's no doubt that in a more sheltered role that McBain can play well and even thrive on occasion. Obviously limiting the number of chances against is the primary job of a defenseman but I think most of us can agree that if McBain is creating more chances than he's giving up then he is a positive factor.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
McBain reminds me of a lesser-developed version of Steve Chiasson. His offense will never wow you, his defense will never wow you, but put it all together and there's a pretty decent player there. I think it's well-worth being patient with him.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I think Sangs has been excellent. Much more confident and decisive and actually somewhat of a threat offensively with his very well timed jump-ins.

I would not be surprised if Jamie is the one scratched when Pitkanen returns. Nothing against his recent play, but I think Sangs has been better.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He is a blight on the franchise. :sarcasm:

Sexy Booboo is a lot better than most people give him credit for. I think the problem with the perception of him is that he's not a great skater or passer, doesn't hit, doesn't fight, etc...in other words, the things that stand out to people are basically entirely missing with McBain. His positioning and stickwork are both top notch and he consistently makes good reads.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think Sangs has been excellent. Much more confident and decisive and actually somewhat of a threat offensively with his very well timed jump-ins.

I would not be surprised if Jamie is the one scratched when Pitkanen returns. Nothing against his recent play, but I think Sangs has been better.

I said the same thing a few days ago.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I always feel like I'm wanting more when watching Mcbain, the guy's pretty big and can move out there but plays so soft

Wish he played as well as he did offensively in his small stint in 09/10. Still remember that bullet pass he threw Staal against Montreal, was godly.

SurmaDeFauwFast

Mar 10, 2013
Plus/minus isn't a perfect stat but McBain has quietly (to me) been +5 over the last 3 games and is behind only Staal/Semin/Tlusty at +13 on the season. There's no doubt he makes some dumb moves on occasion but he must be doing something right.

Going off of the last few games:

#|Game|EVTOI|EVCF|EVCA|EVDIFF|+/-|Pts
1|Penguins|14:15 |1|5| -4 |E|0
2|Panthers|17:31|7|6| +1 |+1|1A
3|@Panthers|15:58|2|7| -5 |-1|1A
4|Sabres|13:47|4|0| +4 |+2|0
5|Canadians|13:46|5|3| +2 |+1|0
6|Devils|14:49|4|2| +2 |+2|0
EVTOI: Even Strength Time On Ice, EVCF: Even Strength Chances For, EVCA: Even Strength Chances Against, EVDIFF: EVCF/EVCA Differential
Stats provided by shutdownline.com

Since returning from injury against Pittsburgh his play has been on the upwards swing. He's by no means perfect but there's no doubt that in a more sheltered role that McBain can play well and even thrive on occasion. Obviously limiting the number of chances against is the primary job of a defenseman but I think most of us can agree that if McBain is creating more chances than he's giving up then he is a positive factor.

This season it finally seems like I'm not totally on edge anytime the puck is in our zone. Definitely liking McBain's play and Sangs over the last couple of weeks. Also, I always do a double take when looking at our +/- numbers this year. Just doesn't seem right haha. Anyways, I'm new here after lurking for years, I hope I can provide analysis worthy of a McCabe intermission interview

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
I always feel like I'm wanting more when watching Mcbain, the guy's pretty big and can move out there but plays so soft

Wish he played as well as he did offensively in his small stint in 09/10. Still remember that bullet pass he threw Staal against Montreal, was godly.

I probably pull that clip up every 2 months. The look on Staals face afterwards...

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Playing on the bottom pairing at home is the key to these guy's success at the moment. Sangs in particular. Muller can cherry pick Bobby's 13 minutes a night.

OntarioFisherman*

Really as someone who met McBain today, I can say that he seemed like someone who owned a very nice watch and was very bored.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If McBain worked on his conditioning/skating, he would be a great top 4 defender.

He won't be top 2 like everyone was hoping, but he's still the second best defender out of the 2006 draft. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad