Confirmed with Link: Jamie McBain and #35 for D Andrej Sekera

smi

Jun 14, 2011
I like Sekera, but I'm not ecstatic about the price we paid for him.. Sekera is a vast improvement over McBain though, so I'm fine with this.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
See I would have been elated if this was #66 and McBain + someone like Bowman, but this hurts. Could have had our goalie for the future right there. Or Santini, or Heatherington, etc.

On the plus side, this contract is nice for a top 4 guy, very affordable. Should make an OK #3/4 guy for us next year.

Cam still has more than a few years left. We're not looking for a goalie of the future, we're looking for a backup of the now.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Well, actually for his price, Sekera is pretty good. He's legit top 4 dman. But we need much more than him.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I don't hate this move.

McBain has been available for quite some time, he was almost valueless. A second round pick for Sekera isn't bad. He is on a pretty good contract and Buffalo fans seem to think he has been one of their better defenseman.

This is putting immediate needs over a long term plan, like stated above, but we NEEDED an upgrade in our top 4 right away.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Can Sekera play the right side? Maybe the Buffalo fans lurking can chime in here.

That's probably a good thing to figure out before I go posting theoretical lineups. :laugh:

I just liked the way Gleason and Faulk played together, and IIRC Pitkanen isn't worth a damn on the right side.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Now that I've had 5 minutes to think about it, I don't mind the trade. We add a top 4 guy to help right away and e give Tlusty a Czech BFF to entice him to take a hometown discount. Sekera is still pretty young at 27 also.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Enter totalkev.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been said 20 times already in this thread, except maybe that I told you so. I take no pride in piling on.

No plan. No patience. No concept on how to manage a draft. It really doesn't make me happy that they continue to mess up. I'd really like it to stop, but I see no reason to think that JR will spontaneously change the way he does things.

It's got to stop if we're going to get better, but it won't as long as JR is in charge.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I'm not in love with the trade but adding Sekera just doubled our backend hockey IQ. We didn't get any more physical but we did add a guy who will be able to get it out of his own zone. I hope Sekera is only D piece move number 1 but I fear it isn't

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I hope we win the Cup in 2-3 seasons, if not we are in for one monster of a re-build. Our prospect cupboard is getting more and more bare by the minute.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Guess Buffalo knew McBain was on the outs and wouldn't budge off our second round pick if they knew JR was targeting Sekera.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'm fine with this.

Some of you need to stop crying like a two year old who just dropped his cone of ice cream

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Now that I've had 5 minutes to think about it, I don't mind the trade. We add a top 4 guy to help right away and e give Tlusty a Czech BFF to entice him to take a hometown discount. Sekera is still pretty young at 27 also.

Yeah. I should refrain from posting right when it happens. I'm really warming up to this trade.

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
Idk how to feel about it with Fucale on the board. If he was off the board I would definitely like it but a potential future star goaltender and you trade the pick away. There's no guarantee we even take Fucale but would of liked to

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 21s

Rutherford said he believes McBain will turn his game around but said he came to camp not ready to play, got in coach's doghouse.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
#Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Sekera was who CAR wanted to swap picks with BUF in the first round.

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Turned out that the team kept the pick, drafted the player they wanted and eventually got Sekera anyway.

Looks like things worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad