Player Discussion Jamie Benn - 2014-2015 Art Ross Trophy Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Just a quick question here from a Wings fan, if you guys resign Brad Richards, do you guys have space to extend both Benn and Neal the following season?

I'm not to familiar with your guys' cap situation, but I love Jamie Benn lol. I look at him and I feel like he is going to be the next generation Brendan Shanahan in 3 years. Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?

If so, what would Dallas want in return? That fight against Iggy was just crazy too, even though I think Iggy kind of got the win at the end as Benn seemed to tire, the fact that he bloodied up his face was just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Not a Stars fan per se, but Jamie Benn is not going anywhere. The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"

Management really likes Benn and Neal and I don't see them moving either of them for quite some time...unless they get a big-time, elite, #1 PMD...easier said than done...

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
I'd say Mike Farkas summed it up pretty well. Benn will be a Star for a long time to come. If you want him on your favorite team you could always become a Stars fan :sarcasm:

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
He's the steal of the '07 draft. 5th round (129th overall). Still baffles me that we were able snag this guy.

To answer the OP's question. If we lose Richards in the offseason I think management will more likely extend both Neal and Benn (the offense has to come from somewhere, right?). They're both very popular with Dallas management, but if they had to let one go Neal would probably be moved before Benn.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
He's the steal of the '07 draft. 5th round (129th overall). Still baffles me that we were able snag this guy.

To answer the OP's question. If we lose Richards in the offseason I think management will more likely extend both Neal and Benn (the offense has to come from somewhere, right?). They're both very popular with Dallas management, but if they had to let one go Neal would probably be moved before Benn.

I completely agree. I had no idea who this kid was until I watched him play, and then I looked him up and saw Dallas snatched him in the 5th round and was just like "wow".

Every time I watch this kid play I get the feeling in his prime he will be the post lock-out version of Brendan Shanahan back in his day, and to get that in the 5th round is just amazing.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm not to familiar with your guys' cap situation, but I love Jamie Benn lol. I look at him and I feel like he is going to be the next generation Brendan Shanahan in 3 years. Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?

Neal would be the odd man out.

The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"

This is good to hear.

txdude5101

Dec 23, 2008
C-ville
What round and pick do you think Jamie Benn could of been picked if people knew he would of been this good!

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I wanted to contest Piqued's comment, but looking at that draft, I think he's totally right. I'm not even sure I want Patrick Kane over Benn when all is said and done, but I think we'll need another couple of years to decide that one.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Not so sure he'd be a lock for number two, but he'd definitely be in the top ten at the very least, and probably in the top five though.

Ampersand

Agreed, I really think that once Benn hits the stride of his career, Dallas' scouting will be getting a lot of praise much like Detroit has for some of their late round picks

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
He skated after practice with a stick today, apparently. That's good. He's not as close as Wandell (who might play Wednesday) or Petersen (who might pre-game skate Wednesday to see if he's ready) but he's also not completely sidelined.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Just a quick question here from a Wings fan, if you guys resign Brad Richards, do you guys have space to extend both Benn and Neal the following season?
Yes. Cap space is not a problem in Dallas. We're operating on an internal cap that's way, way below the league cap. From the looks of it, the group in control of the team is ok with freeing up the purse strings a little bit because of the team's success and the promise of a possible playoff run.

Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?
Dallas fans are thrilled with Benn. We don't want to trade either one of them, but if we absolutely had to, Neal would be the one to go.

Not a Stars fan per se, but Jamie Benn is not going anywhere. The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"
I completely agree with that source.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
id say a lot of stars fan get excited when projecting his abilities from age 21 to 25. its going to be fun to watch him develop and improve in that timeframe.

ScubaSteve*

From the Wings, you'd probably be talking the best prospect in your system plus Filppula if you wanted Benn. Which of course the Wings would never do.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
From the Wings, you'd probably be talking the best prospect in your system plus Filppula if you wanted Benn. Which of course the Wings would never do.

I hope this is sarcasm.

Jakub Kindl +
Valtteri Filppula

for

Jamie Benn

Holland takes this and runs far away! Benn is going to be more of an impact player than Filppula and Kindl is a huge question mark.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Gulutzan: "I don't expect Ribeiro back until after the All-Star game, Benn hasn't been ruled out for next week, and Larsen could go Friday."

Are we seriously thinking about sending Jamie to Ottawa just week after the surgery?? This won't be his last time in the All-Star Game so he should just rest the weekend and sent Loui in his place..

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The ASG is on the 29th. Benn had surgery (which I'm sure was laparoscopic) on the 15th. That's plenty of time to recover for someone in peak physical condition like Benn. Not like the ASG counts as a strenuous activity anyway.

MetalGodAOD*

HCGG said he could play on Tuesday too. That would be 10 days. It's quick but possible. What's the danger with that type of surgery, ripping stitches?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
HCGG said he could play on Tuesday too. That would be 10 days. It's quick but possible. What's the danger with that type of surgery, ripping stitches?
It's laproscopic surgery, so the incisions are limited to 1-2 inches each (there's actually three incisions - one for the camera, one for the cutting tools and one for the bag to remove the appendix). From my reading, they're usually stapled shut. If the appendix did not burst, and his didn't because he'd be a lot sicker now if it did, then they are careful to tear as little muscle as possible, so recovery can be pretty fast.

So what they're probably waiting on is incising healing and the pain to go away.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hopefully he can at least go up there and get the experience, even if he can't actually play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad