Confirmed with Link: James Stefan signs a 3 year ELC with the Oilers

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This was Eberle's D+2 year:
Look at all those Top scorers that never made the NHL
1711376517090.png

Being top of the scoring means little without the context,
The context is that Eberle played the kind of game that translated to the NHL which is why he was a 1st round pick.

Leading scorer Kozun was 5'8" and nothing he could do in Junior translated to the NHL.
He was drafted in the 6th round because of HOW he played, not his raw stats.

Had a 20 game stint with the Leafs, and a failed PTO with the Avs.

Jordan Weal's 17 year old season looked impressive, but it was largely because he was centering WHL MVP as a linemate in Eberle. He was also only 5'9" Which was why he was drafted as a 3rd rounder.
Same shit, he didn't play the kind of game that translated into the NHL.
He stagnated as a junior player putting up similar numbers 3 consecutive seasons, and peaked as an AHL star who managed 200 NHL games. Typical journeyman player.

Calvert is a solid NHL journeyman
Schenn was a star

My thing with the Stefan signing is that he seems to fit into the overage category of:
Cunningham Wahl Sylvester - Journeymen who might have a sip of coffee in the NHL if they're lucky.

So unless the scouts see that he has NHL caliber skating or instincts or skills that translate to the NHL, it's doubtful he becomes anything more than an AHL lifer.

So no, there is very little comparable between him and Eberle aside from raw stats.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think the Rob Schremp OHL MVP year shows what a weak draft class looks like:

It's a collection of overage players who made very little impact in the NHL (Bolland broke through as a very solid role player on a Hawks mini-dynasty).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even if the guy can't make the show, if he can be a higher end AHLer it's a win. Having stability in the AHL when others are being called up also helps the organization as a whole.

Reactions: Biltmore

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
View attachment 841268

The context is that Eberle played the kind of game that translated to the NHL which is why he was a 1st round pick.

Leading scorer Kozun was 5'8" and nothing he could do in Junior translated to the NHL.

Jordan Weal's 17 year old season looked impressive, but it was largely because he was centering WHL MVP as a linemate in Eberle. He was also only 5'9" Which was why he was drafted as a 3rd rounder.
He stagnated as a junior player putting up similar numbers 3 consecutive seasons, and peaked as an AHL star who managed 200 NHL games. Typical journeyman player.

Schenn was a star

My thing with the Stefan signing is that he seems to fit into the overage category of:
Cunningham Wahl Sylvester - Journeymen who might have a sip of coffee in the NHL if they're lucky.

So unless the scouts see that he has NHL caliber skating or instincts or skills that translate to the NHL, it's doubtful he becomes anything more than an AHL lifer.

So no, there is very little comparable between him and Eberle aside from raw stats.
They should get Hyman to talk to him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He had 101 points in 67 games. That is good numbers for a junior player. It doesn't mean he is going to make the NHL, but I think this is a good signing. I hope he makes it.
This is a good post. This kid doesn't need to crack the NHL for this to be a good signing, just as every draft pick doesn't need to make the NHL to be a good pick. That's the hope of course, but if this guy is a long term force at the AHL level, its a great signing too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
View attachment 841268

Schenn was a star

It's a free prospect with similar value to a 3rd rounder IMO. If Stefan plays even one NHL game, this is a win.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is a good post. This kid doesn't need to crack the NHL for this to be a good signing, just as every draft pick doesn't need to make the NHL to be a good pick. That's the hope of course, but if this guy is a long term force at the AHL level, its a great signing too.
100% correct to some degree.

The only danger in this is we need guys we're absolutely betting on becoming NHLers (1st 2nd rounders) to get a bunch of playtime, and our organization has a tendency to bury our top prospects behind a bunch of higher performing veterans, or guys who clearly don't have NHL skills.

I'm a bit worried this dude doesn't have NHL skills but can still put up great numbers in the AHL, and take away development time from one of our key prospects.

(kinda like most of our top-6 currently in the AHL).

Most of our AHL scoring leaders are over 25, including Caggiula, Griffith, Pederson, McKegg... which has me thinking we're burying Holloway and Bourgault down there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The only danger in this is we need guys we're absolutely betting on becoming NHLers (1st 2nd rounders) to get a bunch of playtime, and our organization has a tendency to bury our top prospects behind a bunch of higher performing veterans, or guys who clearly don't have NHL skills.

I'm a bit worried this dude doesn't have NHL skills but can still put up great numbers in the AHL, and take away development time from one of our key prospects.

Most of our AHL scoring leaders are over 25, including Caggiula, Griffith, Pederson, McKegg... which has me thinking we're burying Holloway and Bourgault down there.
I don't think Bourgault is as good as people think and or want to think he is. Not to say he won't get there, but he isn't there.

#5 and #6 on points from the back end are 1 or 2 points behind him. That's not good, at some point it's on the player

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Well, in all fairness, Holloway hasn't been down there long enough to be among the top scorers with his injury and NHL time. Bourgault I think is closer to being a bust than we want to admit. His transition to the AHL wasn't smooth, and you don't hear much positive about his progression. I'm not sure if its that he is being buried, or if it is more that he isn't working out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Bourgault is as good as people think and or want to think he is. Not to say he won't get there, but he isn't there.

#5 and #6 on points from the back end are 1 or 2 points behind him. That's not good, at some point it's on the player
17 points in 51 games in his Draft+3 is disappointing no matter how you cut it. It's a big step back from last year and it's not like he shot the lights out last year either.

I don't think Chaulk is great or is doing a good job utilizing him but the player and the organization owns some of this too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
17 points in 51 games in his Draft+3 is disappointing no matter how you cut it. It's a big step back from last year and it's not like he shot the lights out last year either.

I don't think Chaulk is great or is doing a good job utilizing him but the player and the organization owns some of this too.
There is only so much a coach can do though. If the guy can't figure out the basics in a limited role, not sure just gifting him 1st line time is the answer either.

Every time his name comes up on the radio with people who follow the Condors, nothing great is ever said about the player.

The guy really is going to have to listen at year end sit downs and work this summer. The shine of being a 1st round pick is over. Every year there is a new wave of prospects coming in to fight for spots and he's trending in the wrong direction. I don't even know that he'd be in the AHL if it weren't for that draft position.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There is only so much a coach can do though. If the guy can't figure out the basics in a limited role, not sure just gifting him 1st line time is the answer either.

Every time his name comes up on the radio with people who follow the Condors, nothing great is ever said about the player.

The guy really is going to have to listen at year end sit downs and work this summer. The shine of being a 1st round pick is over. Every year there is a new wave of prospects coming in to fight for spots and he's trending in the wrong direction. I don't even know that he'd be in the AHL if it weren't for that draft position.
90% of this board wanted Wallstedt.
And then the added salt in the wound is the pick right after was Wyatt Johnston.

That said, if we want him to get better, we need him to play 1st line minutes with PP time.
Earned or not.

We could bury a LOT of players behind 27 year olds veterans. That's not what the farm team is for.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

That's the thing, I think his grasp of the basics is pretty decent. He's got the fundamentals down, but in doing that he's lost all the offensive spark he had as a junior player and now he's looking like a Janmark replacement one day at best. He's just meh.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
90% of this board wanted Wallstedt.
And then the added salt in the wound is the pick right after was Wyatt Johnston.

That said, if we want him to get better, we need him to play 1st line minutes with PP time.
Earned or not.

We could bury a LOT of players behind 27 year olds veterans. That's not what the farm team is for.
He's not buried. Every AHL team has veterans as the AHL isn't to just throw all your top picks on the first line and let them do whatever the hell they want.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's not buried. Every AHL team has veterans as the AHL isn't to just throw all your top picks on the first line and let them do whatever the hell they want.
Our top-6 is literally ONLY older vets. especially given Sam Gagner is also now down there.

I kinda feel like the 'Sink or Swim' has to happen in the AHL.

Why is it imperative that we give prime minutes to 31 year old leading scorer Seth Griffith?

Does that help our prospect development? Giving him all the top PP time, favourable
zone starts and better linemates with more minutes??

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Our top-6 is literally ONLY older vets. especially given Sam Gagner is also now down there.

I kinda feel like the 'Sink or Swim' has to happen in the AHL.

Why is it imperative that we give prime minutes to 31 year old leading scorer Seth Griffith?

Does that help our prospect development? Giving him all the top PP minutes, favourable
zone starts and better linemates with more minutes??
This gets said many times in the Condors thread and always gets shut down for being BS.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough. I disliked the Borg pick day 1, but whatever.
I wanted Wallstedt too, but when it came to forwards had no idea what was what.

I just don't see the need to blame coaching all the time. 1st round picks should overcome adversity and push the point.

Also worth mentioning that Borg was struggling becoming a pro living in a big city. Could still be a factor.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
We just have very poor amateur scouting, and it's been a weakness of Holland and Tyler Wright dating back to their Detroit days.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad