The Sun: James Reimer making the best of it as Maple Leaf

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I have been pulling for Reimar ... But just have zero faith in him. With Bernier's history of injuries I think the a leafs are in big trouble again if he goes down. It would be a huge decision for the a Leafs but I would much rather prefer Markstrom and his potential

Frankly,,. I have more confidence in Reims if berny goes down for a stretch, IMO games in a row = rythem/timing in his game

I have far less confidence in JR as a pure spot back up

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reimer had a shaky start but closed the door when it mattered, played a flawless first game, and finished strong for a win last night. I see it as a positive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reimer had a shaky start but closed the door when it mattered, played a flawless first game, and finished strong for a win last night. I see it as a positive.

If the score was 5-3 instead of 6-3 when Reimer let in that 4th goal by McCormick on a shot from nearly the blue-line this game might have ended differently. Most goalies should be able to stop that 4th goal.

Not sure Reimer himself would be pleased with a 4.0 GAA and a .895 sv% against last years 30th place NHL team.

I like Reimer, but that kind of a performance is not going to push Bernier too much challenging for the #1 position. IMO

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the score was 5-3 instead of 6-3 when Reimer let in that 4th goal by McCormick on a shot from nearly the blue-line this game might have ended differently. Most goalies should be able to stop that 4th goal.

Not sure Reimer himself would be pleased with a 4.0 GAA and a .895 sv% against last years 30th place NHL team.

I like Reimer, but that kind of a performance is not going to push Bernier too much challenging for the #1 position. IMO

That shot looked tipped to me, causing it to change directions. The backhand goal was another, but he did make stops when it mattered too, as Leafs were outshot again last night. So we have one very good game, and one good and bad one. One thing about Reimer that we have seen, he plays to the score, going back to that playoff run we had in 11-12, generally he keeps teams in games, and generally he is on the right side of the W column. We will see how he plays the rest of preseason, even if he does not knock Bernier out of #1G which I think we both know it would not have mattered what he did this preseason, he could have played like Johnny Bower and it would not mattered, but only if Bernier struggles in reg season, he is a good 2ndary choice if RC needs to switch things up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That shot looked tipped to me, causing it to change directions. The backhand goal was another, but he did make stops when it mattered too, as Leafs were outshot again last night. So we have one very good game, and one good and bad one. One thing about Reimer that we have seen, he plays to the score, going back to that playoff run we had in 11-12, generally he keeps teams in games, and generally he is on the right side of the W column. We will see how he plays the rest of preseason, even if he does not knock Bernier out of #1G which I think we both know it would not have mattered what he did this preseason, he could have played like Johnny Bower and it would not mattered, but only if Bernier struggles in reg season, he is a good 2ndary choice if RC needs to switch things up.

The key for the Leafs and Reimer is if he can stay sharp and win games consistently in the regular season playing 1 game every couple of weeks and 20-25 a season as the backup.

Reimer tends to get in a rhythm when he gets more games and gets on a role. Playing sparingly and remaining sharp seems to be an issue with him and his confidence.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Last night was Reims 1st win in a very long time. He played well in his half game Wednesday too. Small steps to get him back to where he was. He needs to shut everything out and play focussed.

With the sloppy play in front of him I think being a back-up on this team is the preferred position anyway. Let him make his money and wait for the right ticket outa town to a more stable organization to resume his career path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad