Player Discussion Jakub Zboril II (re-signed 2Yrs @1.1 AAV)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Back to Zboril...............

Does anyone think a trade request is coming from his agent this off-season (if it hasn't happened already)?

He sat for basically 3 months. Almost a lost year of development.

Right now, he's still 4th on the LD depth chart. His clock to establish himself in the NHL and potentially make life-changing money is ticking away. If he can't establish himself as a regular player in the NHL next year, it's likely the end for him in NA pro hockey if he's being honest with himself. No guarantees the Bruins can offer him regular playing time with the current roster. No guarantees either Gryz or Forbort are shipped out.

Change of scenery-type trade requests for guys like Zboril happen every off-season, all around the NHL. Probably a lot more than we know. Guys just want a opportunity to show what they can do.

He can play both sides, so that is in his favor. I doubt Orlov is back, and Clifton is likely gone. Someone else or two will probably have to go, hopefully Forbort at least, so I think the opportunity is there for Zboril if the team is willing to give it to him. Sweeney can keep him on the roster, but Monty will have to commit to playing him regularly for a period to really see if there is any "there" there.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know if he can be a third pair regular for the B's, but I do think it's hard to develop consistency when you get almost zero ice-time. In my view, the Bruins need to give him an extended run in the lineup next season and give him the chance to work through his issues. He might not end up being any good, but the cap problems they have would seem to make it necessar for them to try.

Are there not other D-men in the wide-world of hockey that would play for the Bruins for the exact same amount as Zboril? I have to think there free agent D-men who will play for 1.1 million and are better and more established than Zboril. It shouldn't take much. Then again, this pro scouting group still stinks. Florida's pro scouts laugh at the Bruins.

It's actually gross how much time/money/effort has been spent on Frederic and Zboril, to little to no payback. At some point, a bad investment in an employee is just that, a bad investment. When is it time to cut the cord and invest in someone else? Happens everyday in other workplaces.

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He can play both sides, so that is in his favor. I doubt Orlov is back, and Clifton is likely gone. Someone else or two will probably have to go, hopefully Forbort at least, so I think the opportunity is there for Zboril if the team is willing to give it to him. Sweeney can keep him on the roster, but Monty will have to commit to playing him regularly for a period to really see if there is any "there" there.

The guy can't seem to gain traction on his natural side. Maybe he's like Seidenberg (better on his off-wide) but if they want to offer him a spot next year, not sure the right side would be all that enticing. Then factor in they will likely sign at least one NHL caliber right-shot D-man (Clifton is gonzo IMO) that the coaches will likely always favor over Zboril on his off-side (unless he knocks it out of the park).

No guarantees the Bruins can move Forbort. Or if they are even willing to move Gryz. All the Bruins have to offer are really empty promises that may or may not come to fruition.

He's under contact. The Bruins don't have to do anything. But if I'm his agent, I'm working with all parties to find my client a better opportunity.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He (Tkachuk) put up 10 pts in 12 games in 2021-22 playoffs at 24. Now has 29 in 27 combining his Age 24 and 25 years. Frederic at the same ages (24 and 25). ZEROs.

I'm not comparing 22-year old Tkachuk to Frederic at 24 or 25 either. Are we really comparing a Trent Frederic to a Hart Trophy nominee?

Not sure what home-grown matters. And he's about to become less cost efficient with arbitration rights and a raise forthcoming after his recent two-year bridge. At his current salary (1 million-ish), despite my dislike of this player, I'd take him back to see if he can be the 4th line center they need. Mostly because the Bruins need as many guys as possible in that 775k - 1.25 million range.

But Trent Frederic with a raise? I've seen enough to say good riddance. Yeah for some players, it takes longer for the light-bulb to go on. But seeing some sort of huge step-up at the age Frederic is? It's rare and the exception. 99% of the time what a skater is at age 25, is what he is.

Tkachuk was coming off a 100 point season on one of the best lines in hockey. While not a complete ghost like he had been, he definitely underwhelmed and his line was eaten up at even strength. Most Calgary fans would agree that his playoff time, he didn't perform as hoped and was too focused on the extracurricular stuff. Kane got into his head in one of the series.

I think you're moving further and further away from the original point from that other poster, which you're doing because you don't like the player. That's fine, but the point he had made is still a valid one.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tkachuk was coming off a 100 point season on one of the best lines in hockey. While not a complete ghost like he had been, he definitely underwhelmed and his line was eaten up at even strength. Most Calgary fans would agree that his playoff time, he didn't perform as hoped and was too focused on the extracurricular stuff. Kane got into his head in one of the series.

I think you're moving further and further away from the original point from that other poster, which you're doing because you don't like the player. That's fine, but the point he had made is still a valid one.

I'm sorry, but I don't think Tkachuk and Fredric are comparable in any way. Not now, not when comparing their earlier years. Even in 2021-22, even if they (Calgary fans) say Tkachuk underwhelmed, him underwhelming at 10 pts. in 12 games is a far, far cry from the complete and total ineffectiveness that has been Trent Frederic at playoff time.

There are likely comparables out there for Frederic in terms of later development and playoff performance. Matthew Tkachuk isn't one of them.

False Start

May 8, 2018
What he really needs is seasoning. He has all of the tools to be a NHL defenseman but he has no confidence.

He makes great plays from time to time but balances it out with low IQ plays.

Most coaches don't have the patience to stomach the bad plays. He needs TOI to develop.

I'm not sure if this is the place he can get regular minutes. Can the Bruins afford to play a player like him even on the third pair?

I think for his money the value is there, but I can also see the team moving on.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm sorry, but I don't think Tkachuk and Fredric are comparable in any way. Not now, not when comparing their earlier years. Even in 2021-22, even if they (Calgary fans) say Tkachuk underwhelmed, him underwhelming at 10 pts. in 12 games is a far, far cry from the complete and total ineffectiveness that has been Trent Frederic at playoff time.

There are likely comparables out there for Frederic in terms of later development and playoff performance. Matthew Tkachuk isn't one of them.

You're still missing the point here. It's not comparing talent levels or numbers, it's just a simple comparison statement that showed how one player can finally blossom into a playoff performer in their mid 20's after a few ineffective runs. Frederic isn't as useless a player as you think ( which is where maybe the disconnect is coming from ) so there's hope he can find his playoff groove as he matures as a player.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Are there not other D-men in the wide-world of hockey that would play for the Bruins for the exact same amount as Zboril? I have to think there free agent D-men who will play for 1.1 million and are better and more established than Zboril. It shouldn't take much. Then again, this pro scouting group still stinks. Florida's pro scouts laugh at the Bruins.

It's actually gross how much time/money/effort has been spent on Frederic and Zboril, to little to no payback. At some point, a bad investment in an employee is just that, a bad investment. When is it time to cut the cord and invest in someone else? Happens everyday in other workplaces.

I am going to disagree with you only in that I don't think Zboril is finished yet. He might be. As for wasting money and time, this from a club that sat $3m Mike Reilly in Providence or the 9th floor most of his time here, and John Moore (at a lower rate but more than Zboril) before him. And they roll out Derek Forbort night after night even though he sucks. They've got JZ under contract, are losing at least two guys (Orlov and Clifton) so there is a spot for him. Let's see what he can do with an extended look before signing some other low cost third pair JAG that might or might not work out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You're still missing the point here. It's not comparing talent levels or numbers, it's just a simple comparison statement that showed how one player can finally blossom into a playoff performer in their mid 20's after a few ineffective runs. Frederic isn't as useless a player as you think ( which is where maybe the disconnect is coming from ) so there's hope he can find his playoff groove as he matures as a player.

Your point is some guys blossom later. My point is most guys are what they are by the time they reach Frederic's age. Yes, there is a chance Frederic takes a jump next year or the year after. But the reality is, the likely-hood is rather low. Giving him another crack in Boston, hoping that next year will finally be the year the light bulb goes on, is like placing a wager on a long-shot team. Sure you might win in the end, but chances are, you just wasted your money based on his past history, and other players of his ilk.

I can't discuss Frederic any more in this thread as I'm likely to get my knuckles racked here soon.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am going to disagree with you only in that I don't think Zboril is finished yet. He might be. As for wasting money and time, this from a club that sat $3m Mike Reilly in Providence or the 9th floor most of his time here, and John Moore (at a lower rate but more than Zboril) before him. And they roll out Derek Forbort night after night even though he sucks. They've got JZ under contract, are losing at least two guys (Orlov and Clifton) so there is a spot for him. Let's see what he can do with an extended look before signing some other low cost third pair JAG that might or might not work out.

It's not just cap space though. It's time, and effort, and opportunity, that also cost money. When the coaches are working with Zboril means they aren't working with someone else. All the ice-time he's gotten in the AHL and NHL that could of been going to someone else, opportunity costs. Being exposed to an NHL environment when someone else could be benefitting from the exposure. It all adds up when looking at players and their development from an investment point-of-view. If you had an employer who was grooming someone for a management job, but after 5-6 years they still don't seem ready for that new role, chances are it's time to move on and groom someone else. I look at Zboril (and Frederic) much the same way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I find it interesting that he was one of the higher goal-scorers on the team this year 5 on 5, but still couldn't get a single look on either PP unit. Says something about old Trent and what his coaches think of him, 17 goals EV or not.

Doesn't play on power play because he can't make a play.

Even strength assists Frederic was 13th.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Luke Schenn?

Jack Johnson?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's not just cap space though. It's time, and effort, and opportunity, that also cost money. When the coaches are working with Zboril means they aren't working with someone else. All the ice-time he's gotten in the AHL and NHL that could of been going to someone else, opportunity costs. Being exposed to an NHL environment when someone else could be benefitting from the exposure. It all adds up when looking at players and their development from an investment point-of-view. If you had an employer who was grooming someone for a management job, but after 5-6 years they still don't seem ready for that new role, chances are it's time to move on and groom someone else. I look at Zboril (and Frederic) much the same way.

All this assumes there is someone else to spend those resources on. The Bruins are not exactly brimming with good D prospects. Who should have gotten Zboril's development time? It wouldn't have been a Bruins draft pick, so it would likely be someone else's failed project, or an undrafted FA, or a player you give assets up to acquire. And even then, you never truly know what you are getting. I personally would have had Ahcan up, but he's small, so a non-starter with Grizz on the roster (stupid thinking but that is the NHL culture). Zboril is here, he's under contract, he's cheap, and at least to me, he has shown flashes of being able to be something. You are ready to move on, fair enough. We'll see what the Bruins do with him this summer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Luke Schenn?

Jack Johnson?

I think Schenn is getting a decent contract this summer. His stock has risen. Looked solid paired with Reilly and it got him a fair bit of exposure. I don't think the Bruins can afford him.

They need (IMO) three D of 7 next year making between 775k and 1.25 mill to be cap compliant and still have depth elsewhere. I'm OK with one of those being a vet like Johnson. The other two spots I'd like to see go with someone younger than Johnson but not named Jakub Zboril.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All this assumes there is someone else to spend those resources on. The Bruins are not exactly brimming with good D prospects. Who should have gotten Zboril's development time? It wouldn't have been a Bruins draft pick, so it would likely be someone else's failed project, or an undrafted FA, or a player you give assets up to acquire. And even then, you never truly know what you are getting. I personally would have had Ahcan up, but he's small, so a non-starter with Grizz on the roster (stupid thinking but that is the NHL culture). Zboril is here, he's under contract, he's cheap, and at least to me, he has shown flashes of being able to be something. You are ready to move on, fair enough. We'll see what the Bruins do with him this summer.

Hindsight being 20/20 any of those three options would of been better.

The investment part is a generalization. There may or may not have been a specific example of someone who should of gotten the opportunity as a pro that Zboril has. It's not so much a complaint as it is a principle on how to run any business with employees. I can't justify him being here next year because he's under contract and the Bruins won't cut the cord.

Ulitmately for me, this was a prospect they liked because of all-world physical skills. Strong skater, heavy shot, not massive but large enough to be effectively physically and he is strong for this stature. They tried to teach him the pro game, but his main weakness has always been his hockey IQ. Decision making with and without the puck has always been what keeps him out of the line-up on a regular basis. Obviously there is something the coaches this year didn't like, enough to give him one game in 3 months. I just don't think he's ever going to overcome his lack of hockey IQ to be really effective at the NHL level. His main drawback today is the same drawback he had the day he was drafted. Maybe a different coach (or coaches) could of gotten more out of him. Teach him to play safe and efficient. We may never know. He may want out at this point himself. At this point, I'd rather take a chance with some other franchises "Jakub Zboril".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad