Prospect Info: Jakub Malek (100th Overall)

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Ilves with a 3-2 OT win to get back in the series. Malek made 18 saves on 20 shots. No chance on goals. Game 4 on Wednesday.
Well Ilves lost 4-2 in regulation and KalPa can clinch the series today in Tampere. Malek made 22 saves on 25 shots but probably shouldve had atleast one of the goals in the third when Ilves had the lead.

I've seen all the games and I would argue he's the main reason theyre still playing today. Ilves (#2 seed in regular season, 120 pts) is one of the biggest favorites to win the championship and they've been completely outplayed in this series (KalPa, #7 seed 94 pts, had to get to quarter finals through a play-in round)

But Ilves coach must disagree since he has benched the kid for game 5 today. Lets see how that works. Here's the highlights from game 4.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Not so good... Gunnarsson gave up 4 goals on 18 shots and Kalpa is leading 4-2 with about 7 minutes left to play.
Yeah. KalPa with a huge upset to beat Ilves in 5 games. Dont think I've seen a bigger chokejob in Liiga since early 2010s.

Dont know whats next for Malek. He signed an extension with Ilves earlier this year that takes him to 2025, but I'm sure if the Devils would like him to go to Utica/Adirondack that can be arranged. Devils havent signed him to ELC yet and I think we hold his rights for another year? Theres a chance he gets signed and then loaned back to Ilves for another year.

Kinda hard to know what Devils want since no clue what happens with goaltending at the NHL level or AHL level. Maybe one of Schmid or Daws goes in a trade.

As of whats next right now. He played for Czechia in EHT this season and didnt do amazing. Next EHT games arent until another month just before World Championships which are held in Czechia too. I guess he could join a training camp roster and try to make the team.

Here are his full stats since leaving Czechia to go play in Liiga.

MALEK.png

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
His stats aren't blowing me away (a .920+ would do that) but .915 in the top league in Finland is nothing to ignore. He also did .910 in the playoffs and that's higher pressure. Ilves didn't do him any favors it seems.

I think we have to sign him and get a look at him. We don't have the luxury of being lax with this position. And if we end up with Daws, Schmid, Poulter, and Malek (and maybe Brennan) all being candidates for AHL/NHL roles that means we could move one or two in a trade.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His stats aren't blowing me away (a .920+ would do that) but .915 in the top league in Finland is nothing to ignore. He also did .910 in the playoffs and that's higher pressure. Ilves didn't do him any favors it seems.

I think we have to sign him and get a look at him. We don't have the luxury of being lax with this position. And if we end up with Daws, Schmid, Poulter, and Malek (and maybe Brennan) all being candidates for AHL/NHL roles that means we could move one or two in a trade.
Given Poulter Schmid and Daws i think if we can stash Malek in Europe for another year or two. that would be for the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad