Prospect Info: Jakob Pelletier, Left Wing, 26th Overall

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good on Jakob for one helluva season, he deserves some recognition.

Of all our prospect pool, I think his NHL likelihood is the most certain. Now, being honest, I don't know if he'll be a top line player for example, but he's a guy who could carve our a long career playing in the top 12 of a team. Just has the toolbox to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a top line caliber player, just as I wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a Byron type career.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Lost in the fold here was Pelletier was also one of the three finalist for the Guy Carbonneau award, the Qs version of the Selke. Possibly my favorite attribute of his at the WJC was his ability to strip pucks seemingly any time during the play and turning it around for a great chance the other way.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
That's a terrifying notion.
Maybe not so much, tho'? If Zary advances too, and Tkachuk resigned and is a positive "Captain", and A Ruzicka is a viable top6/9 C and Dubs and Mangie are the new leading core, along with E Lindholm. We might not miss Johnny G and the $Money-man?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Maybe not so much, tho'? If Zary advances too, and Tkachuk resigned and is a positive "Captain", and A Ruzicka is a viable top6/9 C and Dubs and Mangie are the new leading core, along with E Lindholm. We might not miss Johnny G and the $Money-man?
With Lindholm Mangiapane, Dube and Tkachuk still on the roster? Pelletier isn’t that good.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Posposil would probably even be considered to make the team ahead of Pelletier because of his size.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If he's truly "talented" enough to make the roster, it shouldn't matter who he plays with.

leon Draisatl had 2 points in 6 AHL games before being called up and putting up 51 points in 72 games in the NHL. Some guys need to play with good players. Pelletier was the best player in prospect camp. He was one of Canada’s best players. He didn’t do much in the preseason games but got almost no pp time, played with shite players in two games where the majority of our defence fails to make a nice pass. But drawing conclusions on any player in those two games would be a false representation of that players actual ability.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Won't lie I expected more from Pelletier in the two pre-season games he played but he'll have his chance to turn heads in Stockton.

Like most late-1sts, he's a project. He probably won't be a mainstay on the team until two years from now. His ceiling isn't that big that it's surprising he didn't make the team this year

Reactions: Darth Vladar

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Johnny and the Money Man were hard up for cash, they stayed up all night doing what?

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
It almost does if you want him to start in a more defensive role.

I mean, he won't because of the more experienced guys on the roster. But still would like to see him get a few games with NHL tier talent.

He should have to earn those opportunities, and nothing so far in preseason (in an albeit small sample) convinces me (and Sutter, apparently) that he has.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I mean Sam bennett kinda proves who you play with matters too, no?
Kind of a double edged sword. Bennett could also be used to make a pretty strong argument, as to why players should develop, playing top minutes in the AHL. Thrusting a player into the NHL, before they're ready, while playing lesser roles with limited opportunities, can destroy fragile confidence, in very young players. I think watching guys like Mangi and Dube surpass Bennett, is a pretty good indication of this.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Kind of a double edged sword. Bennett could also be used to make a pretty strong argument, as to why players should develop, playing top minutes in the AHL. Thrusting a player into the NHL, before they're ready, while playing lesser roles with limited opportunities, can destroy fragile confidence, in very young players. I think watching guys like Mangi and Dube surpass Bennett, is a pretty good indication of this.

I'm 100% on board with letting him get top minutes in the ahl, my point was you can't say linemates don't matter when we have seen first hand a player really struggle at the bottom of the lineup and when given a chance with skill he goes off. Some guys are secondary players that don't necessarily carry the play but do well at contributing to higher skill plays.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Pelletier looked great in the rookie camp, but like a boy among men at times during preseason imo

Also, I'll wait to see how Bennett does this year in a bigger role. 10 games isn't much to go on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad