Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gosh, 9 million is what a dork like Dorion would offer. I am hoping that Staois is a lot more realistic with his number, if there is one. Like stated above numerous times, sometimes I am in love with the guy, then at times, most of the time, I am ready to poison all his raw meats. I still am a really firm believer that this guy does not gel with the group as it is quite obvious. Today I am saying trade the misfit.
Dorkion? Not bad Not bad

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chychrun is the strangest player for me. I change my opinion of him every game. He makes some glaring mistakes now and then but other times, there are many, many plays where he defends really well using his stick and body position. He is really mobile and gets into lanes well. I find that both Sanderson and Chychrun are much better at chasing down plays and using their feet than Chabot. So on some days, I'm thinking the Sens have GOT to keep him. And then other days, it seems like he can't do anything right. Lol.

Man!! I disagree completely. I find Chychrun lost more often than not. I find his positioning to be terrible (most games) and he seems to get muscled off of pucks consistently.

If we were about to be hemmed in our end he would be the very last D I would send out there. Including Hamonic.

IMO, he needs to go.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
5 is not realistic. My guess is they move on from him, but I can't see the market for him being as low as your evaluation. He's probably worth somewhere between 6-7 in a vacuum but probably wants 7-8.
I dont think he's worth anymore so I hope they do. I dont see any team giving him 7 a year no way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wouldn't go a penny above 7x8.
While I think his inability to play his offside is overblown and with strong coaching he and chabot could make it work, chychrun is just not good enough. I mean he has a good shot. Other than that? What exactly are this guys strengths?

Can’t defend. Afraid of physical play. Bad first pass. Doesn’t command the o zone either

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dont think he's worth anymore so I hope they do. I dont see any team giving him 7 a year no way.
Hype is worth a lot. Just look at the hype when he was available in phoenix. Starting to think no body watched phoenix. I know no fans did

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
While I think his inability to play his offside is overblown and with strong coaching he and chabot could make it work, chychrun is just not good enough. I mean he has a good shot. Other than that? What exactly are this guys strengths?

Can’t defend. Afraid of physical play. Bad first pass. Doesn’t command the o zone either

"Can't defend" is not a correct assessment.

He has great ability in taking space away using his body/stick, top-4 D quality hockey IQ and a great shot.

His weaknesses are lack of physicality (oddly enough), mediocre passing and inability to box-out effectively.

I would give him a C- rating on the year, but hold out hope that he could bounce back given a better system to work under. I think Staois moves him once his value perks up a bit.

I have a feeling Chychrun's camp knows this so they'll be pushing Staois to move him. Unfortunately I don't see Staois doing anything until next year's deadline.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
"Can't defend" is not a correct assessment.

He has great ability in taking space away using his body/stick, top-4 D quality hockey IQ and a great shot.

His weaknesses are lack of physicality (oddly enough), mediocre passing and inability to box-out effectively.

I would give him a C- rating on the year, but hold out hope that he could bounce back given a better system to work under. I think Staois moves him once his value perks up a bit.

I have a feeling Chychrun's camp knows this so they'll be pushing Staois to move him. Unfortunately I don't see Staois doing anything until next year's deadline.
Okay. I don’t see him take away much space and he looks lost and in incorrect position more often than not.

I think being number 1 d on phoenix helped his rep may more than it hurt his rep

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He would be a positive asset to a team at $5 mil a season.

Anything more than $6 and you have an anchor contract for an injury-prone player.

And there's two outcomes here....either he continues to play soft as charmin and leaves a team frustrated with his non-compete...or he competes hard and has value for the 40-50 games a year he plays, and might, or might not, play a few games in the playoffs.

In either case, I really don't want him on the roster long term. I'd rather have a guy who is a bit less talented, but you know what you'll get on the ice from game to game, and who is more durable.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Methot had a recent tweet comparing Chabot and Chychrun. In that tweet he said "I prefer Chychrun defensively" Make of that what you will. For me personally it aligns with what I see. Chychrun has bounced between left and right and really hasn't had a stable situation all year. I think he's playing a little softer than he's historically played and that might be due to his contract and perhaps needing to prove he can stay healthy.

The flip side for me is I'm at my wits end with Chabot. @bert had some comments from Martin on Chabot. They were bad. Really bad. He's 27. He's not a kid. He's likely on the downside of his career. Yet he needs to train and be stronger? That's something you say about a kid.

I think the only reason we might see Chabot here next year is because the team doesn't want to pay the price to be rid of him.

Back to Chychrun. Hanifin signed for 7.35. Chychrun isn't getting that. So it's most likely 6 something. I'd do that deal if Chabot can be moved.

And I wouldn't dismiss running a left side of Sanderson, Brannstrom and Kleven and moving them both.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Loach

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I wrote this in the game thread yesterday, but when Chychrin scored against Bonsto, look at the secondary passer who assisted, Tkachuk, holy smokes, no arms in the air that they just scored, no excitement and barely a recognition of the goal scorer. There is some serious bad blood. Chychrun disrupted something, big time, in that locker room.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I can't believe Chychrun played 82 games. Props to him for staying healthy and I hope other GMs think all the weird meats he eats means he won't be injury prone anymore.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wrote this in the game thread yesterday, but when Chychrin scored against Bonsto, look at the secondary passer who assisted, Tkachuk, holy smokes, no arms in the air that they just scored, no excitement and barely a recognition of the goal scorer. There is some serious bad blood. Chychrun disrupted something, big time, in that locker room.

wish he disrupted something in the locker room but he fit right in. More concerned about money than winning.

They are peas in a pod.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Or, and I’m just spitballing here, we were already leading, it was the last game of the season, and it was a disappointing season.

Could be wrong though….

• Haha
Reactions: StoicSensFan

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I've seen Giroux act the same way after some goals. Don't think it's anything at all.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Meh don’t think so. Also chychrun doesn’t look like he has the personality to be disrupting shit in the locker room.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Or, and I’m just spitballing here, we were already leading, it was the last game of the season, and it was a disappointing season.

Could be wrong though….

That's entirely too logical.

I dislike Chychrun the player as much as anyone on these boards but the body language experts nitpicking every detail every time he scores are a little much.

Reactions: JD1 and Ice-Tray

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That's entirely too logical.

I dislike Chychrun the player as much as anyone on these boards but the body language experts nitpicking every detail every time he scores are a little much.
It's like the time where Brady didn't smile when Jacques was giving a locker room speech and people alluded this to him hating him.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Nice podium reveal, this guy is out of here! Good riddance to the carnivore

Meh don’t think so. Also chychrun doesn’t look like he has the personality to be disrupting shit in the locker room.
This was clearest day, this guy hates it here. He’s not welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad