Injury Report: Jake Gardiner has concussion symptoms

Apr 1, 2010
The hit itself wasn't that bad, Gardiner got caught with his head down. It wasn't interference (Gardiner had the puck a second or so prior to the hit), it wasn't charging, and it wasn't a hit from behind (shoulder to shoulder contact). It was a clean hit, that unfortunately resulted in an injury.

It's his head bouncing off the ice that most likely caused the concussion.

I didn't think his head hit the ice.

I saw the game and a few replays, but I missed it if he actually make contact with the ice with his head. I remember him shaking his head while laying on the ice before getting up, but no contact with the ice.

But I don't think he has a concussion anyway so it doesn't really matter. ;)

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I didn't think his head hit the ice.

I saw the game and a few replays, but I missed it if he actually make contact with the ice with his head. I remember him shaking his head while laying on the ice before getting up, but no contact with the ice.

But I don't think he has a concussion anyway so it doesn't really matter. ;)

I hope you're right.

Apr 1, 2010
I hope you're right.

To me he was looking at the one guy and trying to move the puck and the other guy came around the other side of the net and could have just killed him. Gards neck was twisted the other way and I think that is where the injury is. In the Neck. It looked to me like the other guy held up. He takes one more stride, adds 5mph to his speed, and really throws his weight into it and Gards might still be seeing tweety birds.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's why you don't admire your passes. He put himself in a vulnerable position. He didn't do it unpurpose to try to avoid the hit (like some idiots turning their backs to an incoming hit along the boards), but he did nonetheless. Hopefully, he makes a speedy and complete recovery, and learns a valuable lesson from this experience.

Those are the hits that the NHL is trying to get rid of.....he had no chance to protect himself. Blindsiding the player after the puck was gone.....it was a dirty hit.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Those are the hits that the NHL is trying to get rid of.....he had no chance to protect himself. Blindsiding the player after the puck was gone.....it was a dirty hit.

Like others said, the Rochester guy does appear to hold back. Gardiner looked like a guy playing shinny hockey, making the pass and turning to admire it, instead of being in a position to absorb a hit. He was straight up, instead of having a low center of gravity, and his body was twisted awkwardly. The hit itself didn't look dangerous, actually it appeared pretty harmless, it's the manner in which jake is twisted when he gets hit that looks like it could cause injury.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

porterhit.jpg

It's very close to a North-South hit. Gardiner admiring his pass is the only thing that made it blindside.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
To me he was looking at the one guy and trying to move the puck and the other guy came around the other side of the net and could have just killed him. Gards neck was twisted the other way and I think that is where the injury is. In the Neck. It looked to me like the other guy held up. He takes one more stride, adds 5mph to his speed, and really throws his weight into it and Gards might still be seeing tweety birds.

The only thing that concerns me is the rapid snap back of his head as soon as it hits the ice. I've watched it frame by frame a few times, and the 2nd replay angle seems to show it the best. He plants his elbow first to absorb the majority of the contact, and then it looks like he faceplants into the ice.

Like I said, I pray that I'm wrong on this.

JVR2112

Jun 29, 2012
Reminds me of the Torres hit on Seabrook in the playoffs. As someone already said, the guy didn't hit Jake too hard. He could have destroyed him.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Oh how I miss the good old days when instant justice was meted out. Someone should have jumped that ****er and pummeled him.

For a clean hit? :propeller

[and I know there was a penalty on the play but that just proves AHL refs are as bad as those in the NHL].

Yea, there is a reason. So that next time there's a hit to be made, they think twice about doing it. It's all mind games.

Why not just pick up your game, play hockey and nail the other dudes with a clean hit or 5?

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
maybe the hit was iffy but it doesnt look like its any intent other then to finish a check, 0 headhunting watched it live and it was just a fast play. People get drilled like that often behind the net.

I imagine its just sore because of how he had his head turned when hit and his body just got wrecked up. not a real brain rattler

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The hit itself was perfectly clean, Porter was just finishing a shoulder to shoulder check. It wasn't late, it wasn't charging, it wasn't boarding, it wasn't to the head, there was simply nothing wrong with it. Gardiner got caught watching his pass instead of watching where he was going, and he got hit.

Gards will likely be fine, I'd be surprised if he got anything more than a minor concussion and/or minor whiplash from that hit, it just did not look too bad. Looks can be deceiving, but still, it doesn't look like a career altering hit at all. Even if he did hit his head on the ice, his helmet was on, and he would have absorbed most of the impact with his arm/body before his head hit, so I doubt it would have been that bad. He got up pretty quickly too, clearly wasn't close to being knocked out.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This is why your head needs to be on a swivel at all times. Potter even held back; If that were some fourth line grinder in the NHL, he would have destroyed Jake.

Jake needs to pay more attention.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Now you guys get to experience HF's Pejorative Slured logic. Gardiner's value will be diminished by being labelled "injury prone" from this moment on.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sprained neck maybe whiplash but if that concussd him he is soft. Real soft, 2 weeks I say

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
i've watched the clip over and over, i see no scrum. i see a couple of guys who looked at porter. perhaps they asked him not to do that anymore. :shakehead

There was nothing wrong with the hit. No need for a fight, and this is coming from a guy who loves hockey fights, just not when guys get jumped after big clean hits.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yea, there is a reason. So that next time there's a hit to be made, they think twice about doing it. It's all mind games.

I take it you haven't played or if you did you were a weasel, because those are the only 2 reasons to think a hockey player won't make a hit because of the fear of a fight.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He left his feet a little before the hit, obviously that's a charging call if you're reading straight from the rule book, but Porter let up quite a bit and had no malicious intent. I wouldn't of given him a penalty, but the ref did because of Gardiner's reputation.

Really?

9l8y2w.jpg

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I take it you haven't played or if you did you were a weasel, because those are the only 2 reasons to think a hockey player won't make a hit because of the fear of a fight.

Yea, lets ask McSorley or Semenko what their thoughts are on clean hits. It won't stop everyone, but you're crazy to think a beat down won't have some players thinking twice.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yea, lets ask McSorley or Semenko what their thoughts are on clean hits. It won't stop everyone, but you're crazy to think a beat down won't have some players thinking twice.

Never stopped me or anyone who was laying me out.

I think jumping someone is the sign of a *****. Challange him later, but don't jump him after a clean hit.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The hit itself wasn't that bad, Gardiner got caught with his head down. It wasn't interference (Gardiner had the puck a second or so prior to the hit), it wasn't charging, and it wasn't a hit from behind (shoulder to shoulder contact). It was a clean hit, that unfortunately resulted in an injury.

It's his head bouncing off the ice that most likely caused the concussion.
clean hit or not, doesn't matter. the best player on our team got hammered and nobody came to his defense. rightly or wrongly, we usually see a scrap after this type of hit on this type of player.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There was nothing wrong with the hit. No need for a fight, and this is coming from a guy who loves hockey fights, just not when guys get jumped after big clean hits.
perhaps you're right. i guess that's why the other marlies on the ice simply asked porter not to do that anymore.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
He got up pretty quick after the hit. He may have lost consciousness very briefly or suffered some form of amnesia that you can't tell from just a video, but if I was to guess I'd say he doesn't have a concussion.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

Welcome to the 21st century.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
clean hit or not, doesn't matter. the best player on our team got hammered and nobody came to his defense. rightly or wrongly, we usually see a scrap after this type of hit on this type of player.

On some teams who like to goon it up, yes. The majority of the teams wouldn't even bother with a facewash party after a hit that was obviously clearn. When that kind of stuff happens, you don't get mad (won't do any good), but you get even. The concerning part is, the Marlies didn't even bother to try that, but were pretty indifferent to the play for the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad