Waived: Jake Dotchin on Unconditional Waivers

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Any particular reason why?

I thought he was NHL caliber even in a low capacity.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs should take him...

Rielly - - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Dotchin

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
This makes no sense I thought he be part of their future moving forward cause they have a lot veteran d men that are free agency at the end of the year.

Reactions: Morrison

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Really kind of odd. He was listed on the morning group for training camp this morning, but never made it on the ice.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There must be some off ice issues.

Didn’t he play with Hedman on the top pairing quiet a bit last year?

Reactions: Chris Cutter

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
We just had no space for him. We were carrying 8 Dmen and we have more promising youth in the wings. Plus we are probably going to give Koekkoek more of a shot. Dotchin took a step back last year. Actually kind of shocked we couldn't find a taker for fourth or something.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Played 18+ minutes a night two seasons ago, 16+ minutes a night last year. Didn’t get in all the time because of depth but he looked like an NHLer.

Teams don’t throw big young RHD to the curb for no reason. There’s got to be a pretty sizeable reason why behind the scenes. Did he show up to camp 50 pounds overweight or something?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
We just had no space for him. We were carrying 8 Dmen and we have more promising youth in the wings. Plus we are probably going to give Koekkoek more of a shot. Dotchin took a step back last year. Actually kind of shocked we couldn't find a taker for fourth or something.
this isn't waivers because he couldn't cut it. The reasoning is a "material breach" of contract. Which could be any number of things really. Weird situation

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

That’s my thought as well. 6’3 RHD that’s only 24 and showed he can play at the NHL level, teams would have been lining up to toss a low pick Tampa’s way. Something must have happened off-ice.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
There must be some off ice issues.

Didn’t he play with Hedman on the top pairing quiet a bit last year?
He was carried by Hedman. He has flashes but nowhere near that spot. Our right side is pretty heavy with Stralman, Girardi, and Sergachev. Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn playing the left. Koekkoek is our seventh D, so there was no point in carrying Dotchin.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
this isn't waivers because he couldn't cut it. The reasoning is a "material breach" of contract. Which could be any number of things really. Weird situation
Just read that. Must be him violating drug policies. I might be mixing it up with someone else, but I remember he got pinched for it by the team before.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What the actual f***? Alright so anyone looking for information lol yeah right. Good luck. The Lightning literally tell us nothing. Your guess is as good as ours....... seriously. YOU let US know if you hear anything.

There's no rhyme or reason other than the fact that we are carrying a gluttony of defensemen and Dotchin regressed last year after being outstanding with Hedman the season prior. He was also inexplicably suspended by the team for almost all of the preseason for a reason that was never publicly disclosed and promptly spent the whole year in the doghouse. He was clearly a product of Hedman's greatness but to Dotchin's credit he did exceedingly well in that brief period of time.

I honestly think this is an issue with Dotchin's sobriety and it must be very serious. It could explain last year's suspension by the team and why his play fell off a cliff. I just hope the kid is okay

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad