Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The cap is going up, lets throw around some money. Thats how you end up with Forbort, Reilly and Moore contracts at 3 million. Then the Foligno, Beleskey and Backes contracts. How many buyout money on the cap and how many picks they traded away to correct those errors?

Jake lacks constancy for years and I remember how everybody was disappointed with his regular season despite playing in a contract year. Is the broken hand the excuse for this now? Why was he still playing then? To me he showed he too many flawed character traits since he is with the team. For the contract he will demand I would put another one million or two on top of it and get a real difference maker.
Last year, Jake was 42nd in points and 29th in goals for Left Wings. If you slot him as a RW instead, he was 38th in points and 33rd in goals.

Over the past 3 years, Jake ranks 42nd in points and 29th in goals for left wings. Improves to 35th and 23rd if you call him a RW.

Over the past 3 years in the playoffs, he's 12th in points and 11th in goals for Left wings. 7th in both points and goals as a RW.

This is absolutely second line wing production at worst, and improves in the playoffs.

The subtle nod to "character traits" is the reference to his down year under Cassidy and Covid - i.e. his admitted mental health struggles. There's nothing else to point to.

If Jake was as consistent as people seem to want (and there was absolutely consistency in his 200 foot game the past few years), he'd be a $9M player. It continues to feel like people don't understand what second line production really looks like.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I could be wrong, but I thought it was weird that after game 7 he brought up his broken hand in the second half of the season and that his production in the playoffs was due to his hand healing.

Injuries are usually brought up during exit interviews.
Well Bergeron did the same thing last year saying he was playing with a disc in his back...

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Last year, Jake was 42nd in points and 29th in goals for Left Wings. If you slot him as a RW instead, he was 38th in points and 33rd in goals.

Over the past 3 years, Jake ranks 42nd in points and 29th in goals for left wings. Improves to 35th and 23rd if you call him a RW.

Over the past 3 years in the playoffs, he's 12th in points and 11th in goals for Left wings. 7th in both points and goals as a RW.

This is absolutely second line wing production at worst, and improves in the playoffs.

The subtle nod to "character traits" is the reference to his down year under Cassidy and Covid - i.e. his admitted mental health struggles. There's nothing else to point to.

If Jake was as consistent as people seem to want (and there was absolutely consistency in his 200 foot game the past few years), he'd be a $9M player. It continues to feel like people don't understand what second line production really looks like.
Some good points here but are you saying we can't have selke calibre guys that score 100 points for 4 mil a year and are PPG during the playoffs? Shame

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Well Bergeron did the same thing last year saying he was playing with a disc in his back...
It was a playoff injury that made him miss games in the playoffs not a regular season injury like DeBrusk mentioned, after being eliminated in game 7 in the playoffs, hindered him during the season not the playoffs. It comes off as him trying to raise his value.

Nevertheless, I do think the Bruins should try to re-sign him, but I think the chances it happens aren't that great, especially since his name was thrown out there before the trade deadline and no one wanted him unless they got him basically for free from the Bruins.

When Fluto and Joe McDonald write articles about DeBrusk and how he wants to stay and win a cup, it seems the hold up is regarding how much DeBrusk's camp is asking which kind of contradicts his statements of wanting to stay a Bruin and win a cup as other players on the team like Marchand and Pastrnak have taken less to do so. Let's see what management says about their upcoming UFAs/RFAs tomorrow.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The cap is going up, lets throw around some money. Thats how you end up with Forbort, Reilly and Moore contracts at 3 million. Then the Foligno, Beleskey and Backes contracts. How many buyout money on the cap and how many picks they traded away to correct those errors?

Jake lacks constancy for years and I remember how everybody was disappointed with his regular season despite playing in a contract year. Is the broken hand the excuse for this now? Why was he still playing then? To me he showed he too many flawed character traits since he is with the team. For the contract he will demand I would put another one million or two on top of it and get a real difference maker.

Being desperate for LHD is how you end up with those guys. When you start to approach FA and the only LHD you have under contract is Gryz, you need to sign 2, Sure they could have signed Dan Hamhuis, and another guys at a similar level to combine for 40 min a night, but then your not trying to compete

Reactions: bob77 and Dr Hook

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Being desperate for LHD is how you end up with those guys. When you start to approach FA and the only LHD you have under contract is Gryz, you need to sign 2, Sure they could have signed Dan Hamhuis, and another guys at a similar level to combine for 40 min a night, but then your not trying to compete
They also hurt more when you run straight into a forced flat cap due to Covid. We’re looking at a minimum $10M increase over the next three years, probably $12M+. I don’t think people can calibrate to that yet.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I’d have zero issue paying him big money if he deserved it. Problem is he is highly overrated by people like you and others.

Last offseason we had droves of people calling him 30+ goal scorer and others calling him a 35+ goal scorers when he’s never hit those numbers.

And that same group of people were in here calling him a $7m-$7.5m player.

That’s where the discrepancy is in these discussions.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sweeney knows he needs to pay a center from somewhere this summer, and cap space goes fast. Even with projections of increases over the next couple of seasons, you also have contracts due in that same time frame so while not a true wash, it us unknown. If Jake is looking for more than Charlie Coyle money he probably won't get it here until and unless the Bruins get someone in to play C and they know what they are looking at cap-wise.

Consider also they still need to pay Sway, and we don't know if Ullmark will actually get moved. A lot of these speculations depend on freeing up that $5m which may not happen.

Reactions: Bodit9

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If they need his cap hit to make a clear and obvious upgrade at wing or center, bye bye Jake.

If they use his money to sign another guy of the same level they are going to get a worse deal than just keeping Jake.

I’d have zero issue paying him big money if he deserved it. Problem is he is highly overrated by people like you and others.

Last offseason we had droves of people calling him 30+ goal scorer and others calling him a 35+ goal scorers when he’s never hit those numbers.

And that same group of people were in here calling him a $7m-$7.5m player.

That’s where the discrepancy is in these discussions.

This is revisionist history. Folks were always saying that if he had another season like he just had he was going to be a 7-7.5m guy. That was and continues to be true.

But, he didn't.

And while the broken hand certainly must have played a factor in his season totals... he didn't exactly light it on fire in the first half of the season either.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is revisionist history. Folks were always saying that if he had another season like he just had he was going to be a 7-7.5m guy. That was and continues to be true.

But, he didn't.

And while the broken hand certainly must have played a factor in his season totals... he didn't exactly light it on fire in the first half of the season either.

Not revisionist history at all there were plenty of people actively calling for an extension before he hit free agency and to give him $7m+.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It’s
hard to argue Forbort Reilly were bad signings when they become part of the chemistry of a team that goes out and has the best regular season in NHL history. I’m sure there are teams out there that feel they need a player with Forbort defensive skills, especially if they couldn’t kill penalties. Some team will sign him, even if his use here might be over. Same with Reilly. He played fairly well for the Islanders this year. Also, Forbort was injured the entire year. And, he played with his injuries, including both his groin and his thumb. He didn’t just get both of these injuries and then not play anymore. I’d be curious how many games he actually played injured. It’s hard to grade his play knowing all this. Same even with Gryz. Watch them all sign w another team, be healthy, and have good years.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
and hes way more engaged with that usage - something that a large portion of boston fans will criticize him for but what other forward on the bruins consistently performs well on the pp and then gets dropped for months at a time off it. put him on pp1 and leave him there for a year and see what happens.

i feel like hes a goner and well regret it immediately.
He's better than #63 now for PP purposes.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Obviously a high end center is priority #1 but with JDB it's a question of if they can get a guy who produces more (and when it counts) for less.

If he can be had for under 6 then pull that trigger IMO.

Reactions: Ladyfan

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You wanna pay this guy or do you want to pay a center. If he leaves, let him. We’ll get back retained when the team that signed him gets sick of him.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am not sure if we will ever know, but it appears to me that management has made zero effort to re-sign DeBrusk ??. A team that clearly lacks the forwards necessary to win a cup ? Not trying to re-sign one of there top forwards leaves me with a lot of questions ?????

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I am not sure if we will ever know, but it appears to me that management has made zero effort to re-sign DeBrusk ??. A team that clearly lacks the forwards necessary to win a cup ? Not trying to re-sign one of there top forwards leaves me with a lot of questions ?????

No during the year both sides were definitely trying...

Reactions: bme44

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think Sweeney would've signed Jake yesterday if he could, let alone during the season. My guess is Jake and/or his agent (probably the latter) were asking for too much. IMO, his agent will be in for a rude awakening when Jake doesn't get the contract that he was hoping for.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I know DeBrusk is estimated to get a deal between $5M-$6M, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team offers him $6M or more.

Regarding the Bruins top 6, they have Pastrnak, Marchand, and Zacha. The Bruins need a winger that is better than Marchand, and I personally don't think DeBrusk is the player to be the second-best winger on the team when Marchand retires. He does make the Bruins a competitive team next season though especially if the goal is to add one or two centers.

Reactions: Sevendust

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Sweeney would've signed Jake yesterday if he could, let alone during the season. My guess is Jake and/or his agent (probably the latter) were asking for too much. IMO, his agent will be in for a rude awakening when Jake doesn't get the contract that he was hoping for.
I think someone pays up this offseason won't be like last year. He's never topped 40 points you can't exactly cut him a blank check or go 7/8 years.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

There was plenty of effort, Jake has a seriously inflated view of his market value

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm pretty indifferent to signing or not signing Jake. Maybe after the fact I'll think differently.

I think Jake's 200-foot game is overrated here. Certainly it has improved. But I don't see Selke votes coming.

I've never heard of a player playing with a broken hand (in the regular season) before. Sounds odd.

I think someone pays up this offseason won't be like last year. He's never topped 40 points you can't exactly cut him a blank check or go 7/8 years.

Do you mean 40 goals?

Because he usually tops 40 points.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I'm pretty indifferent to signing or not signing Jake. Maybe after the fact I'll think differently.

I think Jake's 200-foot game is overrated here. Certainly it has improved. But I don't see Selke votes coming.

I've never heard of a player playing with a broken hand (in the regular season) before. Sounds odd.

Do you mean 40 goals?

Because he usually tops 40 points.

glad I wasn't the first one to say this re: broken hand - something really stinks there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad