Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I just don't understand how there isn't consistent discussion revolving around the true delta from this year to last year.

Their center went from Patrice Bergeron to Charlie Coyle.

Both Jake and Brad are having worse years 5 on 5.

Jake went from 30 points in 64 games to 25 points in 80 games. Corsi went from 58.4% to 48%.

Brad went from 32 points in 73 games to 28 in 82. Corsi went from 57% to 49%.

Jake (and Brad) were tilting the ice last year with a real 1C. How can you possibly judge DeBrusk in a vacuum while one of the best wingers of the last 10 years is producing at the same exact (and also reduced) rate 5 on 5?

Btw, Coyle is virtually having the same exact year point-wise (5 on 5) that he did last year. He's also getting out chanced 1131 - 927.

Bergeron 22-23: 27-31-58
Coyle 23-24: 25-35-60

I dunno man. Heinen and Geekie have 1 and 3 pts less than Jake. Lesser lines (most of the year). Lesser PP. In Heinen's case 6 less games. We gotta stop making excuses.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I just don't understand how there isn't consistent discussion revolving around the true delta from this year to last year.

Their center went from Patrice Bergeron to Charlie Coyle.

Both Jake and Brad are having worse years 5 on 5.

Jake went from 30 points in 64 games to 25 points in 80 games. Corsi went from 58.4% to 48%.

Brad went from 32 points in 73 games to 28 in 82. Corsi went from 57% to 49%.

Jake (and Brad) were tilting the ice last year with a real 1C. How can you possibly judge DeBrusk in a vacuum while one of the best wingers of the last 10 years is producing at the same exact (and also reduced) rate 5 on 5?

Btw, Coyle is virtually having the same exact year point-wise (5 on 5) that he did last year. He's also getting out chanced 1131 - 927.

I guess it all depends what is the most likely scenario going forward..

Debrusk with Patrice Bergeron quality center or Debrusk with Charlie Coyle quality centers.

From there we will be able to determine what his future production will more likely resemble. It’s a big reason why I’ve been saying the Bs need a legit #1 center

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston

I dunno man. Heinen and Geekie have 1 and 3 pts less than Jake. Lesser lines (most of the year). Lesser PP. In Heinen's case 6 less games. We gotta stop making excuses.

As I've already noted the increase is Coyle's stats isn't from more 5v5 time or better line mates, it is purely from additional powerplay production.

We could (and should) have Coyle on the 3rd line with the exact same production.

A center's job isn't just to produce on their own, they need to be elevating their line mates. Coyle isn't able to do that in the way Bergeron was and it's evidenced by Coyle's line having a worse rate of production, and a worse rate of chances for/chances against.

This isn't to say I think Coyle is bad or anything like that, I just think Coyle is deployed better on the 3rd with Frederic and another grinder type where they can exploit weak 3rd and 4th lines.

DeBrusk has literally never, ever produced well on Charlie Coyle's line. Marchand is having the exact same issue right now. IDK why we're so shocked DeBrusk's statline doesn't look great and are just saying he's not trying or w/e.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I guess it all depends what is the most likely scenario going forward..

Debrusk with Patrice Bergeron quality center or Debrusk with Charlie Coyle quality centers.

From there we will be able to determine what his future production will more likely resemble. It’s a big reason why I’ve been saying the Bs need a legit #1 center

Yeah, I think we've all been saying it. It's definitively our Achilles heel.

It'll be hard to get a PB quality center (for a very long time) but we can find people whose offensive talent and vision can get our 2nd line producing at a higher rate.

Specific to DeBrusk I think he will get the chance to play with someone of that offensive caliber again, and we'll miraculously see his production rise again. It's just I don't know if it'll be with us or someone else.

Reactions: UncleRico

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Blaming Marchand's production on Coyle and not on Marchand's age + hip is weird.

Marchand's skating and shot haven't looked right for large chunks of the season. If you do the advanced stats thing without watching the games, things like this come out.

Let's be actually honest, Marchy doesn't look like Marchy at 30-31. Specially with his shots. Something has been affecting his shot, and I promise you it's not the ghost of Charlie Coyle.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I'm sorry, but comparing Coyle to Bergeron by just "points production" is flat out absurd and wrong in so many ways, my God.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn’t fit the Bruins culture. He’s soft and doesn’t hustle. It might be overlooked if he were a prolific scorer, but he’s not.
He’s not soft at all lol

He made the mistake of saying he had struggled/dealt with depression and boom - he’s soft

There is a stigma especially in this area of the country if you admit to seeing a therapist you are soft

Seriously, how is he soft? Look at his recent goal where he scored it

I do get it because I know and understand people better then 99 % of people but I don’t see DeBrusk soft without saying the depression stuff

And culture ? :laugh: He’s as popular as anyone on that team

I’m assuming you are trolling but figured I’d take the bait

Basically anyone here who is on meds in therapy or depressed is soft in Bruins fandom

Oh and doesn’t hustle - dude he gets back more then any forward

Holy shit Batman

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Hate to say it; Jake is more Robin than Batman. He's more the sidekick than the super hero.
His impact upon the team is frustrating because I really want him to do well. The team needs Jake to play to his potential in these playoffs. I'm still hoping.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hate to say it; Jake is more Robin than Batman. He's more the sidekick than the super hero.
His impact upon the team is frustrating because I really want him to do well. The team needs Jake to play to his potential in these playoffs. I'm still hoping.
I want him to do well also. Pasta and Brad will be the top targets for the Leafs. We need other players to step up.

I hope Jake brings his best to the playoffs.

IMO he is no leader and seems to need other players to help him along.

Reactions: JAD

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
You and I both. I think the playoffs will show us if DeBrusk wants to remain a Bruin or not. Playing the leaf's in the first round is the perfect situation for him to excel

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Blaming Marchand's production on Coyle and not on Marchand's age + hip is weird.

Marchand's skating and shot haven't looked right for large chunks of the season. If you do the advanced stats thing without watching the games, things like this come out.

Let's be actually honest, Marchy doesn't look like Marchy at 30-31. Specially with his shots. Something has been affecting his shot, and I promise you it's not the ghost of Charlie Coyle.
Thank you and thank you again for watching what is happening on the ice, not just statistics. This is not a a knock on Marchand, but if watch the games he is not the same player, you might see flashes but not the same player, these things happen to all players at sometime in their career .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Robin was banging
I want him to do well also. Pasta and Brad will be the top targets for the Leafs. We need other players to step up.

I hope Jake brings his best to the playoffs.

IMO he is no leader and seems to need other players to help him along.
i know very few leaders in life

Not being a leader is not a negative to me

The Bruins have 3 leaders - their Captain and their 2 highest paid players

Pastrnak was not even close to a leader till pretty much this year- and it’s super impressive how he’s grown into it

This version of Pastrnak would not have fallen off a curb inebriated in 2019 and likely cost the Bruins a cup

DeBrusk is now soft, not a culture guy, lazy and not a leader

This place is depressing me

Going to go find out what meds I can get for this and make an appointment for therapy

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
DKH, the guy being the most controversial player on the ice also being the guy who every teammate says can't pack a suitcase (at age 27?) is no coincidence. There's a mental toughness thing here, pretty clearly.

His physical gifts are not in question.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
R

Pastrnak was not even close to a leader till pretty much this year- and it’s super impressive how he’s grown into it

This version of Pastrnak would not have fallen off a curb inebriated in 2019 and likely cost the Bruins a cup

DeBrusk is now soft, not a culture guy, lazy and not a leader

This place is depressing me

Going to go find out what meds I can get for this and make an appointment for therapy
Actually, we noticed how much Pasta had grown into a leader last season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He’s not soft at all lol
He made the mistake of saying he had struggled/dealt with depression and boom - he’s soft
There is a stigma especially in this area of the country if you admit to seeing a therapist you are soft
Basically anyone here who is on meds in therapy or depressed is soft in Bruins fandom

Holy shit Batman

This is my therapy and yes, I am soft.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
He’s not soft at all lol

I do get it because I know and understand people better then 99 % of people but I don’t see DeBrusk soft without saying the depression stuff

And culture ? :laugh: He’s as popular as anyone on that team

I’m assuming you are trolling but figured I’d take the bait

Holy shit Batman
Holy overreaction, Batman.

My view of him has nothing to do with therapy or depression. Many friends and relatives of mine are in therapy (and not because I put them there lol).

My dissatisfaction with him echoes how many others feel about him: He plays small, takes too many nights off, is kinda streaky, and floats much too much. He’s been good in shootouts and has done very well in the playoffs but I’m overall not satisfied with what he brings.

If he actually were the player you see him to be, then we wouldn’t have had a dozen threads over the past few years asking what should be done with him.

PS: Question for you: When Harry Sinden says, “there’s always a DeBrusk on the team”, what do you think he means?

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

well said, he`s still an amazing player but well said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad