Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How are the blueberry muffins ? Is this the one in Lowell

That is the one

I go to North Andover but they have others..

Lowell (maybe Dracut)
Methuen
Haverhill
A few others

All of their pastry is good.

Not a big fan of their bagels…but I’m a bagel snob.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
DeBrusk 18-21-39 +7

Frederic 18-21-39 +9

Geekie 16-22-38 +7

Who has actually been the best player this season?

Tough to say; they've all had good stretches. With DeBrusk, there's expectations of more, Frederic did about what was expected, and Geekie probably did a bit more. Maybe it's time to adjust expectations of DeBrusk if he sticks around - a talented but flawed scorer who can help boost a team's depth scoring. It's too bad they won't get him back in the fold at the cap number the other two are at.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
DeBrusk 18-21-39 +7

Frederic 18-21-39 +9

Geekie 16-22-38 +7

Who has actually been the best player this season?

Geekie, to me, because he brings the most consistent effort of them all. But the conversation with Jake is broader than simple production, right? Of the three, he is the only one considered by some to be a "top 6" forward and is likely looking to get paid like one at the end of the season. Geekie and Frederic have another year under contract and both make significantly less than Jake. Those numbers and just the eye test overall lead me to think both Freddy and the Geek are in line and deserving pay bumps if they continue on in the same fashion. Jake to me is not, but he is going to get, and I don't think it should be here.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And here we are again overrating third liners.

Jake's production - again, compared to his peers - is much higher than people think. And now the trope is anyone could do what he does if they were given PP time. And yet there are scores of players who don't do that.

Jake is 176th among forwards for PP TOI by the way, and only two of his goals are powerplay goals.

But ok.

Ok you say he’s worth at least $5.5m

Among forwards:

- He’s tied for 137th in goals in the league and 152nd in points.

- Players who make $5.5m right now are tied for 98th in the league in salary.

- Players who make $5m right now are tied for 122nd in salary.

so his 137th in goals and 152nd in points is roughly equal to someone in $4.5m salary range. If you want to bump him up to $5m because of inflation and defense that is fair. But no way is he a top 100 forward.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I get the frustration with Jake, and I am someone who wants more from him and maybe it is time too move on from, but those players you mentioned are a no go for me , I would rather keep Jake.
Really? I get folks being against Bertuzzi (though I disagree) but Stephenson is kinda exactly what they need and could be relatively affordable.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ok you say he’s worth at least $5.5m

Among forwards:

- He’s tied for 137th in goals in the league and 152nd in points.

- Players who make $5.5m right now are tied for 98th in the league in salary.

- Players who make $5m right now are tied for 122nd in salary.

so his 137th in goals and 152nd in points is roughly equal to someone in $4.5m salary range. If you want to bump him up to $5m because of inflation and defense that is fair. But no way is he a top 100 forward.
Again, you're looking backwards. Can't seem to get you to understand that new contracts work differently when a big cap bump hits. Jake is worth what he would get now. Look at the UFA forwards - it's the land of misfit toys, especially if you assume Reinhart and Stamkos (along with Pavelski) resign where they are.

You don't want to pay him more than $5M and that's fine. But if he hits open market he's getting way more than that.
Really? I get folks being against Bertuzzi (though I disagree) but Stephenson is kinda exactly what they need and could be relatively affordable.
Stephenson is 30, and has 47 points this year in a minute and a half more aTOI than Jake. He's good. Not sure he's going to be affordable for what he brings though. Certainly a potential option.

Maybe, but he sure seems underwhelming on the ice for what he gets paid and what he could do physically.
This place would absolutely hate Mantha. Talk about inconsistent effort....

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Again, you're looking backwards. Can't seem to get you to understand that new contracts work differently when a big cap bump hits. Jake is worth what he would get now. Look at the UFA forwards - it's the land of misfit toys, especially if you assume Reinhart and Stamkos (along with Pavelski) resign where they are.

You don't want to pay him more than $5M and that's fine. But if he hits open market he's getting way more than that.

Oh no I get it. Cap is going up 5%. He makes in line with what players of his caliber get at $4.5m. A 10% raise for Debrusk would still put him a couple tickets under $5m.

The cap is going up $4.1m. He shouldn’t be getting 35% or more of the cap total cap increase. Which is what would be happening if we gave him $5.5m aka a $1.5m increase in salary.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Oh no I get it. Cap is going up 5%. He makes in line with what players of his caliber get at $4.5m. A 10% raise for Debrusk would still put him a couple tickets under $5m.

The cap is going up $4.1m. He shouldn’t be getting 35% or more of the cap total cap increase. Which is what would be happening if we gave him $5.5m aka a $1.5m increase in salary.
Then we don’t give it to him. But he’s get it somewhere and then some.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Stephenson is 30, and has 47 points this year in a minute and a half more aTOI than Jake. He's good. Not sure he's going to be affordable for what he brings though. Certainly a potential option.

This place would absolutely hate Mantha. Talk about inconsistent effort....
Maybe, but he hasn't gone more than 4 games without a point, and has points in 43 of 71 games. At least this year.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Talk to Caps fans and Wings fans about him…you wouldn’t want to go anywhere near him. Nice contract year run for him though.
I feel we're the same way talking about 50% of our roster.

That said, I haven't seen a ton of him, but he looks half decent with the Knights since the trade deadline.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
if we rank wingers by points per game, which I think is a more useful way to do this, Debrusk is tied for 89th among wingers in this present system/roster. If I rank all forwards in ppg, and I only consider players who have played at least 20 games this year, Debrusk is tied for 177th. Let that sink in for a second. Someone like Coyle who still catches flack on here is 97th on that same list.

177th!

Guys it's not good enough. And it's not just on this contract that you eat a steaming pile. It affects the other Bruins who renew after him. You are settling a line here for the good of the club and cap flexibility for the next 5 years.

If you want a good defensive forward, go sign one for 3M or less. If you want someone who can get half a point per game, go spend 4.5M.

Stop the madness.

Hockey may only be my 5th sport, but game theory, I understand. This isn't good game theory. It's "well this is all we have and maybe he'll come around". That's not how you make 6 year deals.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good let him go somewhere else. Bruins sign him and their entire cap increase is already covered next year by Debrusks raise and peeke.

Not ideal.

Sure but even if they use up their 4 million cap increase, they have a ton of additional cap space

if they don't sign DeBrusk they are likely going to spend even more to find a similar (or better ) player.

And a lot of those similar players come with similar or worse warts than Jake. And they Absolutely will all be inconsistent

I don't know if I want to go to 6/36 for Jake. I do know that i don't want to have to go to 6/48 to get Toffoli. Or 6/60 for Guentzel. And forget about someone like Mantha 🤮

Reactions: UncleRico

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The positive for Chandler over Jake is that he is a center, I think we have plenty of bottom six centers and I do not want to block any of them without giving them a chance, not that I am against getting a high quality center. Jakes positive is he can play bot wings, kills penalties can play on the power play, he also out hits Stephenson nearly three to one. Stephenson is older and has one season with 20 goals. I had hoped when Washington got Strome the Bruins had moved on him, young, size and some talent. I know everyone is excited about landing Lindholm, I am not one of them, I would prefer going after Shane Pinto type , I know it will cost but he is NHL proven, has size , talent and is better than any young players in the Bruins system now , sorry Merkolov and Poitras fans..........

Reactions: BBruins

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sure but even if they use up their 4 million cap increase, they have a ton of additional cap space

if they don't sign DeBrusk they are likely going to spend even more to find a similar (or better ) player.

And a lot of those similar players come with similar or worse warts than Jake. And they Absolutely will all be inconsistent

I don't know if I want to go to 6/36 for Jake. I do know that i don't want to have to go to 6/48 to get Toffoli. Or 6/60 for Guentzel. And forget about someone like Mantha 🤮

I suggested the Bryan rust deal for Debrusk of roughly 6 years $30million at $5m a year. Rusts is a couple ticks over that I forget the exact amount but I think that’s fair.

Rust is a little better and more consistent offensively, but I view Debrusk somewhere between Rust and Bunting and honestly as of late I’m not even sure Debrusk is as good as bunting who makes $4.5m.

Personally I think Debrusk is in for a rude awakening come free agency. Who knows maybe he gets the 6x6 but it’s likely coming from a dumpster fire organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad