Player Discussion Jake "Big Tuna" Virtanen | XVII Nikolaj Who...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I don't know a single person who wants Virtanen to fail, only people who believe that's what will happen. Big difference.

I want nothing more than to eat a truckload of crow on Virtanen. I want him to become the 30/30 speedy power forward that his optimistic pre draft scouting reports pegged as his ceiling.

I've been wrong on lots of prospects before and I'll be wrong on lots more in the future. It does my ego no harm by adding one more to the pile and if I'm going to be wrong, I might as well be wrong in a way that helps the team I like.

Perfectly put.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He was the regular 4C.

No, he wasn't.

Obviously not the whole picture, but..

Chaput took 5.7 faceoffs per game, a number that was pushed down because he played wing up the lineup later in the year.

Gaunce took 2.9 faceoffs per game.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, he wasn't.

Obviously not the whole picture, but..

Chaput took 5.7 faceoffs per game, a number that was pushed down because he played wing up the lineup later in the year.

Gaunce took 2.9 faceoffs per game.

Just because one takes faceoffs doesn't mean they're playing the C position.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Back on topic..

Anyone know where Jake's been training this off-season?
Home in Abby? In Van at the training facility? Where is the Canucks' training facility now anyway?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just because one takes faceoffs doesn't mean they're playing the C position.

Chaput was the regular 4C.

Gaunce played it more often earlier in the season, but describing anyone other than Chaput as the regular 4C last year would be wrong. Even the time later in the year when Chaput played on other lines, Gaunce was hurt.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I don't think he'll show up this year trying to rival Byfyglien. He posts often on his Instagram being in the gym. The only picture I've seen of him this year at that charity event he looked in shape.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think he'll show up this year trying to rival Byfyglien. He posts often on his Instagram being in the gym. The only picture I've seen of him this year at that charity event he looked in shape.

I can't keep with all these social media options..
just looked up his instagram now.

Posted a video a couple weeks ago grinding it out in Chiliwack... getting pumped to see the beast in the fall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-aIs8Dsn8/?taken-by=jakevirtanen18&hl=en

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
That video makes you a beast? Looked like he was competent at the drill but he definitely wasn't manhandling the sled that had only 90 lbs on it?

I think it shows he's in pretty good physical condition, he did the drill at good speed and kept his pace up well.

Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I can't keep with all these social media options..
just looked up his instagram now.

Posted a video a couple weeks ago grinding it out in Chiliwack... getting pumped to see the beast in the fall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-aIs8Dsn8/?taken-by=jakevirtanen18&hl=en

Hah nice, pushing a sled is literally the worst thing ever. I would make my enemies do it if I could.

I'm embarrassed to get bro-sciencey about this but I noticed the same thing in his battle ropes video: his shoulders are hunched forward. I don't know why his trainers don't have him focused on keeping his shoulder blades back and down. When you get out of whack like is when you start effing up your shoulders because they're not sitting nicely in their sockets.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Hah nice, pushing a sled is literally the worst thing ever. I would make my enemies do it if I could.

I'm embarrassed to get bro-sciencey about this but I noticed the same thing in his battle ropes video: his shoulders are hunched forward. I don't know why his trainers don't have him focused on keeping his shoulder blades back and down. When you get out of whack like is when you start effing up your shoulders because they're not sitting nicely in their sockets.

Plus his head is bent down looking at toes. Not sure when it's ever beneficial to have your head that far down. Base isn't wide enough as well. More I watch it, looks like he's giving it quite a bit to move that. Like it's more important to get it moving as fast as he has it without using proper skill building technique that will also not injure him like you say.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
None of the "workout" videos he's posted are impressive. The sled video and ropes video aren't of great length, strength of athleticism. I'm banking that he's just showing small clips proving to people he's actually working out. I'm also encouraged he's not going to show up a 231lb 50% BF slob who can't make it through a practice (yes this actually happened).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey, if Virtanen becomes a player, great! I will back this kid up all over the board.

I will very happily eat ten different kinds of crow if Jake Virtanen becomes any kind of impact NHL player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Back on topic..

Home in Abby? In Van at the training facility? Where is the Canucks' training facility now anyway?

Mcdonalds :laugh:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Back on topic..

I forgot, who are we hating now? Isn't this a Benning thread, stay on topic mofo. :popcorn:

Wow, summer sucks yet the hatred flows strong.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I forgot, who are we hating now? Isn't this a Benning thread, stay on topic mofo. :popcorn:

Wow, summer sucks yet the hatred flows strong.

The past page of this thread is full of jokes, my friend. The only comment bringing it down at the moment is yours.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
None of the "workout" videos he's posted are impressive. The sled video and ropes video aren't of great length, strength of athleticism. I'm banking that he's just showing small clips proving to people he's actually working out. I'm also encouraged he's not going to show up a 231lb 50% BF slob who can't make it through a practice (yes this actually happened).

Except 50% is a larger exaggeration, also those practices are designed to push players to exhaustion in camp, he fully came in unprepared and out of shape but it's not uncommon. Virtanen was simple unprofessional at that point and the Canucks gifting him a roster spot was directly responsible for his approach to being a professional athlete.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So now it has come down to critiquing Virtanen's workouts and complaining they are not impressive enough?

I wonder how impressive Elias Petterson's work outs would be??

Virtanen looks pretty trim and seems committed to his fitness now. I think that is what matters. How about we wait and see how he looks on the ice at camp?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only workout video that would get me super excited about Virtanen is if the video contained him in the film room watching tape.

His IQ has always been his achilles heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad