Signing(s): Jake Arrieta signs with the Phillies (3 years, $75 million)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Phillies were the favorite for longer than today. I've been hearing his name around here for weeks. Good for them, especially at this term.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is a great signing. Only for 3 years and they needed another pitcher after Nola.

Only three years but woof at that AAV. I get the Phillies spending money cause they have money to spend but sheesh they'd have been better off buying Lynn on his deal and Cobb than spending $25 million a year on Arrieta.

Reactions: Voight

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I think the 2018 Phillies are still only like the 5th or 6th best team gunning for an NL Wild Card. That said they're going to be very interesting in 2019. Would not be surprised to see them get Harper or Machado.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Could've returned to Chicago but why stay with a team in decline when you can join someone going places. They'll get Harper next season.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
He looked to be labouring in the games I watched him pitch last season. Everything points to decline but luckily for the Phils it’s a short term deal.

I will love it when the boring Nationals decline and the Braves, Mets, Phillies compete for the division like it should be.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Term is good. This may be the new norm. GM's getting smarter not paying guys in their 30's to crazy long terms.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The phils aren't really going anywhere, they have money to spend so really what they need is some solid vets to help the younger players especially the young arms progress.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Poor Jake.

From a team with that's a WS favorite for the next three years to the bottom feeder of the east.

As somebody who has watched Jake be the best pitcher in the NL and his downward slide since, even this contract is too long and two much. He doesn't have it any more because if he did, there's no way the Cubs would have let him go considering they print money.

Complete overpay from the Phil's who just made a move for the sake of showing others that they still matter. Jake doesn't move the needle back or forward, he's just there.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They revamped their bullpen big time (their issue last post season) and Chatwood could very well surpass Jake this year.
True and Miles Mikolas could win the Cy Young this year. Combine that with MVP favorite Tommy Pham and it’s clear the cardinals are the team to beat in the Central

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad