Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (50% retained) traded to the Devils for cond. 2025 3rd (2025 2nd if Allen plays in 40+ games and team qualifies for playoffs next season)

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Honestly, I like that we moved Allen. But I really don't want to go into next season with Armia and Dvo on the roster, on top of Anderson and Gallagher. I want to keep one retention spot for Savard, but I'd be open to using it on moving Armia or Dvo in the summer. Then, you move the other for a bad contract that you can bury in Laval.
Armia isn’t hurting them at all.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He's not helping. He only shows up when they need to lose. If they get an offer for him - 3rd round pick or higher move him. If he does nothing in the first half of the season he is not only hurting the team but making himself untradeable.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He's not helping. He only shows up when they need to lose. If they get an offer for him - 3rd round pick or higher move him. If he does nothing in the first half of the season he is not only hurting the team but making himself untradeable.
He absolutely has been helping. He’s been good on the forecheck, protects the puck well, blocks shots, and has scored like 10 goals. You’re thinking of the Armia from before he got sent to Laval. I thought he did a great job killing penalties last night.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On Devil's board I read that their GM suggested he tried to trade for Allen earlier in the year, but Allen wouldn't waive...

Wonder if the offer was the same, higher or lower.

Either way, kinda sucks for Primeau that Allen blocked the trade
Not really imo. It's Primeau 1st year where he had success at the NHL level. He also was at a age where something had to happen. I think not having the pressure to be either number 1 or number 2 was not a huge problem for him. He's still young it might have helped him make the transition.

With Montembeault, Primeau, Dobes and Fowler we have a good chance to have a real number 1 goalie in the lot.

Reactions: tazsub3

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not really imo. It's Primeau 1st year where he had success at the NHL level. He also was at a age where something had to happen. I think not having the pressure to be either number 1 or number 2 was not a huge problem for him. He's still young it might have helped him make the transition.

With Montembeault, Primeau, Dobes and Fowler we have a good chance to have a real number 1 goalie in the lot.

Don't forget Volokhin, dude's a beast.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Not having Allen to finish the year will be awful for the tank :

#NameGPMinGAGAAWLTENGSOSavesSvPct
30Cayden Primeau15869412.83662024140.910
35Samuel Montembeault311852973.1413125009180.904
34Jake Allen211216743.656123006120.892

19-18-7 with Primeau and Monteambeault. 45 points in 44 decisions. That would put us at 66 points in 65 games i.e. in no man's land.
I wouldn’t get too depressed. They barely beat a severely depleted Columbus team last night. Those 2 will need to stand on their heads every game to make a real difference. The Habs were sorely outplayed last night. Those kinds of wins aren’t common.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pick isnlikely a 3rd, which is fine.

If he's playing 40+ they're probably not making the playoffs. Devils have the room to get Markstrom, so it's likely they make the playoffs, but Markstrom gets them there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Armia has been easily one of our best players for a while now and is entirely earning his pay. We should absolutely hang on to him over the summer and see if he can keep this up next season. The demotion, and working with the mental side of his game has done wonders for him. He has outstanding chemistry with Roy which will go a long ways towards building a strong top 9 next season with the return of Dach.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Pick isnlikely a 3rd, which is fine.

If he's playing 40+ they're probably not making the playoffs. Devils have the room to get Markstrom, so it's likely they make the playoffs, but Markstrom gets them there.
I don't think KH thinks he can realistically get that 2nd. He covered his ass just in case Allen would have the greatest season of his career and would steal the number 1 spot in NJ. It wont happen. I know it. You know it. KH knows it. But just in case ...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Armia's playing decently. But he's definitely not a part of the future. I'd rather see the ice time go to a player that potentially is a part of the future.

I agree but his strong play might result in exactly that as he might become tradeable.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Armia's playing decently. But he's definitely not a part of the future. I'd rather see the ice time go to a player that potentially is a part of the future.
He’s not but you can’t just push all the vets aside and throw someone in there. Out of the guys on the roster, I’d say Roy gets good ice time. RHP to me, had his 15 minutes. I don’t see him on the roster next year. Same with Ylonen. There’s no one else and I’d absolutely not have called up another young guy.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't think KH thinks he can realistically get that 2nd. He covered his ass just in case Allen would have the greatest season of his career and would steal the number 1 spot in NJ. It wont happen. I know it. You know it. KH knows it. But just in case ...

I have not looked into the fine print but have we ruled out counting games this season towards the 40? If this seasons games count then he doesn't need to be a #1 as just being a 1B or a backup who ends up playing more due to injuries is very possible. I am also nearly certain that his games played still count if he is traded from New Jersey.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Armia has been easily one of our best players for a while now and is entirely earning his pay. We should absolutely hang on to him over the summer and see if he can keep this up next season. The demotion, and working with the mental side of his game has done wonders for him. He has outstanding chemistry with Roy which will go a long ways towards building a strong top 9 next season with the return of Dach.
There was nothing wrong with the mental side of his game except that he only shows up a few times a year. He has no trouble turning it up for International Tournaments. If he wanted to play for a contender he should have played well the whole season and there might have been interest in him.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I have not looked into the fine print but have we ruled out counting games this season towards the 40? If this seasons games count then he doesn't need to be a #1 as just being a 1B or a backup who ends up playing more due to injuries is very possible. I am also nearly certain that his games played still count if he is traded from New Jersey.
The games this year don't count for the 40 games. You are correct it is 40 games total next year and it doesn't matter what team Allen is playing for during the season. Another condition is the team Allen is on needs to make the playoffs for the pick to turn into a 2nd.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Armia and Dvo are on last years of Contracts next season. next years goal is to make Play-offs. See what happens!? Not win it all.. Just be better and make some Noise!!!!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s not but you can’t just push all the vets aside and throw someone in there. Out of the guys on the roster, I’d say Roy gets good ice time. RHP to me, had his 15 minutes. I don’t see him on the roster next year. Same with Ylonen. There’s no one else and I’d absolutely not have called up another young guy.
I'd still like to see more of RHP and Ylonen.

Plus, I think Hughes will pull another Newhook/Dach deal this summer.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There was nothing wrong with the mental side of his game except that he only shows up a few times a year. He has no trouble turning it up for International Tournaments. If he wanted to play for a contender he should have played well the whole season and there might have been interest in him.

There clearly was everything wrong with the mental side of his game as has been well established by MSL this season and with the addition of a mental performance coach, Jean Francois Menard who has worked extensively with Armia this season.

Armia is an very good hockey player who has struggled mightily with the mental side of the game.

Playing in International tournaments that are Mickey Mouse level relative to the NHL is a ridiculous comparison and only goes to show how much better he is when he is not overwhelmed by anxiety and expectations to earn his contract. He does not choose to not play well, he just really struggles to focus retain confidence when things go poorly in the NHL where the expectations and scrutiny are orders of magnitude more intense, especially in Montreal

I get it when people are frustrated with a player but this is just another example of mob behaviour where fans typically vilify players who do not meet their expectations and resort to tribal marginalization of the offending player where they will twist themselves into a cynical pretzel in order to find any way to blame the player for anything that is wrong with their favourite team.

The games this year don't count for the 40 games. You are correct it is 40 games total next year and it doesn't matter what team Allen is playing for during the season. Another condition is the team Allen is on needs to make the playoffs for the pick to turn into a 2nd.

Does it explicitly say that this year's games don't count or is that an assumption? If so, thank you for clearing that up.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Does it explicitly say that this year's games don't count or is that an assumption? If so, thank you for clearing that up.
It explicitly states that the games don't start until next year. This is the wording on the conditions from Canadiens website on the trade.

The third-round pick will become New Jersey’s second-round pick in 2025 if Allen plays in 40 or more games during the 2024-25 season and if Allen’s club at that time (New Jersey or otherwise) qualifies for the 2025 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Don't forget Volokhin, dude's a beast.
Mother of God.
1710375625639.png

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Would make for a potentially very interesting trade deadline. Say Allen starts next year as a 1A/1B in NJ and plays reasonably well, gets into 30-35 games by the week leading to the deadline and NJ is not in the playoff hunt. At 50% retention from NJ, Allen has a very reasonable cap hit so a team like Colorado inquires about trading for Allen to shore up their backup G position. Now the risk of Allen getting 40G + his team makes the PO is a strong possibility which upgrades the pick going to Montreal from a 3rd to a 2nd. NJ then has to ask the moon for Allen, otherwise it's:

A) don't trade Allen, lose a 3rd
B) trade Allen and decide that what they get has to be worth more than the difference between their 2nd and 3rd rounder.

They'd almost need the contending team's 1st to make it worthwhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad