Rumor: Jacob Trouba close to 7 Year extension with NYR. Between $7.5m - $8m per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
General manager Jeff Gorton had substantive contract talks with Jacob Trouba’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, at the draft in Vancouver, The Post has learned. The parties did not reach an agreement, but the pending restricted free agent defenseman, acquired on June 17 from Winnipeg for the 20th-overall pick in the draft and Neal Pionk, is expected to sign a seven-year deal in the tony neighborhood of $7.5-8 million per season.

According to Larry Brooks

Where Rangers will draw the line on Artemi Panarin

Reactions: BHD

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Why wouldn't it?

If the report is true that Panarin wants 12+, like around 11 even if it isn't, Rangers would need to make a trade, or two, given they still have RFAs to sign.

This Trouba deal leaves them with 9-10 mill in cap space.

I mean, more trades is what the fans want... Even if they're likely minor trades.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was hoping around 7 million. That really is managable. If we go after Panarin we will be competing for a playoff spot as soon as next season, imo. Hopefully make a little noise and really get our young guys a little taste of playoff hockey. Not gonna tank with these guys on the roster.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
And this finalized what a coup that trade was for the Rangers. That’s a lot of cash but compared to rumors of guys like Tyler Myers looking for a similar amount in the open market and a guy like Kevin Hayes basically getting the same contract...this is a total win for the Rangers.

Teams need to be smart and realize sometimes liquidating assets for players who aren’t UFAs yet is smarter than overpaying an UFA for free. Yes, Trouba is essentially (to borrow NBA terminology) a “pre-agent” since he’d have been an UFA in the summer of 2020 but that extra year still left the Rangers with some wiggle room to negotiate a contract, that in comparison with what this summers UFA market is shaping up to be, is a relatively good deal for the team.

It’s why I want the Avs, a team with a lot of assets, to explore the trade market for cost-controlled players even if it costs some of those assets versus totally hamstringing future finances for “free” in the UFA market.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If the report is true that Panarin wants 12+, like around 11 even if it isn't, Rangers would need to make a trade, or two, given they still have RFAs to sign.

This Trouba deal leaves them with 9-10 mill in cap space.

I mean, more trades is what the fans want... Even if they're likely minor trades.
I mean, they traded for him with the intention of signing him long term. If they get Panarin it's not like they'd let him walk. They'll just trade Kreider or other pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad