Value of: Jacob Markström to San Jose

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
With San Jose locking up Karlsson long term, it seems they wish to sustain themselves as cup contenders for the forseeable future. However, there is clearly a glaring weakness in net, and I feel with a great goalie between the pipes, San Jose can truly achieve fantastic things with this current core.

Jacob Markström is coming off a stellar season, being much of the reason the Canucks weren't the bottom dwellers this last season. However, it was only one season of this consistent, elite level play, and the risk is obviously that he drops back down to earth once again. There is also the chance that he remains at this level for years to come, having finally reached his true potential that so many thought he once had.

While the Canucks would do well to keep him around, they also want to make room for Thatcher Demko. There are questions as to whether or not he is ready to get regular starts in the NHL, with most thinking he may not be capable yet. However, I feel this is a risk the Canucks can take as long as they have a veteran goalie that he can split time with.

What would San Jose be willing to give up to acquire Jacob? San Jose run the risk of his play dropping off, but they could also greatly benefit if his play remains at an elite level, like it was for most of the Canucks' season.

Keep in mind, he only has one year left making $3.6~ million, and would effectively serve as a rental, but he is exceptionally valuable for what he brings to what is going to be a decently cap strapped team in the Sharks after they make all of the signings they will need to.

Thoughts?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
With San Jose locking up Karlsson long term, it seems they wish to sustain themselves as cup contenders for the forseeable future. However, there is clearly a glaring weakness in net, and I feel with a great goalie between the pipes, San Jose can truly achieve fantastic things with this current core.

Jacob Markström is coming off a stellar season, being much of the reason the Canucks weren't the bottom dwellers this last season. However, it was only one season of this consistent, elite level play, and the risk is obviously that he drops back down to earth once again. There is also the chance that he remains at this level for years to come, having finally reached his true potential that so many thought he once had.

While the Canucks would do well to keep him around, they also want to make room for Thatcher Demko. There are questions as to whether or not he is ready to get regular starts in the NHL, with most thinking he may not be capable yet. However, I feel this is a risk the Canucks can take as long as they have a veteran goalie that he can split time with.

What would San Jose be willing to give up to acquire Jacob? San Jose run the risk of his play dropping off, but they could also greatly benefit if his play remains at an elite level, like it was for most of the Canucks' season.

Keep in mind, he only has one year left making $3.6~ million, and would effectively serve as a rental, but he is exceptionally valuable for what he brings to what is going to be a decently cap strapped team in the Sharks after they make all of the signings they will need to.

Thoughts?
We can't afford him. Need to dump Dell and bring up one of our young guys from the AHL as a cheap backup.

San Jose will live and die by Jones and we are more or less praying he bounces back

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
We can't afford him. Need to dump Dell and bring up one of our young guys from the AHL as a cheap backup.

San Jose will live and die by Jones and we are more or less praying he bounces back
I think you definitely could. He's only making 3.6 mil and the Canucks can easily take back Dell, as they'll need a veteran backup for Demko anyways if that's the route they want to go.

As a one year rental, I think he would be a great target for you. There is a chance, just like with Jacob, that Jones never returns to the form he was once capable of. At least you would have some insurance in Markström if Jones sucks again next season. It was a shame to see such a good team be let down by goaltending.

I think both teams can benefit from a trade, here.

aircobra

May 4, 2013
I think you definitely could. He's only making 3.6 mil and the Canucks can easily take back Dell, as they'll need a veteran backup for Demko anyways if that's the route they want to go.

As a one year rental, I think he would be a great target for you. There is a chance, just like with Jacob, that Jones never returns to the form he was once capable of. At least you would have some insurance in Markström if Jones sucks again next season. It was a shame to see such a good team be let down by goaltending.

I think both teams can benefit from a trade, here.

No, they can't. That money needs to be used on more pressing issues, like forward depth. And Jones did return to form during the Vegas series. They didn't lose to the Blues because of him. 3.6 is far too much for a back-up goalie for this team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Based on the complaints I've heard from some SJS fans, doesn't it make more sense to build the deal around Markstrom for Jones+? The cap works better for SJS too and I don't think Vancouver would have as many issues absorbing Jones.

Jones would go closer to home and that change of scenery might work. Worst case, he's still a decent vet option to guide Demko into the league.
SJS get a similar calibre goalie in Markstrom to Jones, but with lower cap and perceived higher upside than Jones' potential of bounce back.

All I'm saying is, as a Flames fan, the Pacific warfare is already looking nasty if Seattle is primed to join and EK is going to be staying in the division long term. I'd be more scared of SJS running a Markstrom/Dell combo with salary to spare than an SJS with a more rigid roster due to salary of Jones/Markstrom.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
No, they can't. That money needs to be used on more pressing issues, like forward depth. And Jones did return to form during the Vegas series. They didn't lose to the Blues because of him. 3.6 is far too much for a back-up goalie for this team.
Aaron Dell has a 1.9 million dollar cap hit.

Markström has a 3.6 million dollar cap hit.

that's 1.7 million you're taking in if the Canucks take back Dell. I don't see how that's a huge issue to the Sharks.

Anyways, if you want to bank on Jones being the guy, that's fine. I think, however, having insurance in Markström would be a lot more valuable than you might suspect now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Based on the complaints I've heard from some SJS fans, doesn't it make more sense to build the deal around Markstrom for Jones+? The cap works better for SJS too and I don't think Vancouver would have as many issues absorbing Jones.

Jones would go closer to home and that change of scenery might work. Worst case, he's still a decent vet option to guide Demko into the league.
SJS get a similar calibre goalie in Markstrom to Jones, but with lower cap and perceived higher upside than Jones' potential of bounce back.

All I'm saying is, as a Flames fan, the Pacific warfare is already looking nasty if Seattle is primed to join and EK is going to be staying in the division long term. I'd be more scared of SJS running a Markstrom/Dell combo with salary to spare than an SJS with a more rigid roster due to salary of Jones/Markstrom.

Yes but it doesn't make sense at that point for Vancouver. I can't see the Sharks moving Jones as he was statistically terrible last year and also has a three team trade list so they'd be very limited on where they could move him without his approval. And honestly, I can't see anyone taking that risk. They have to get him to rebound to make him movable.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Nah. Unless the Sharks added significantly, that doesn't make much sense for the Canucks at this point in time. Too much risk of another long term dud of a contract when we have junk like Eriksson and Sutter making over 10 mil combined. The idea would be to make room for Demko to be the undisputed #1 and have a veteran in there to back him up, rather than a guy who would expect to be getting the majority of the starts.

Markstrom would provide the Sharks with a good insurance option if Martin Jones ****s the bed again. He's far from a guarantee himself, but he's the kind of guy that can get hot at the right time and act much like a Binnington. He was legitimately the reason the Canucks stayed out of the bottom 3 last season. The Canucks were utterly dreadful otherwise, outside of Pettersson.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes but it doesn't make sense at that point for Vancouver. I can't see the Sharks moving Jones as he was statistically terrible last year and also has a three team trade list so they'd be very limited on where they could move him without his approval. And honestly, I can't see anyone taking that risk. They have to get him to rebound to make him movable.

Well... I guess in a sense though, the Canucks are still in a rebuild and realistically should stay in that mode for another season or two to avoid derailing it by exiting too early. The risk IMO would be offset that if Jones sucks, it's more playing time for Demko and a higher pick to bolster the rebuilt core... add onto the fact that if Vancouver just accepts the fate of being curb stomped for a season or two and just work on development, they will be adding some really powerful prospect going forward. However, I agree with your opinion too. If it was doable though, I'd be flipping mad because Wilson would be the type of guy to do it for a bunch of spare parts and it would be a frustrating short term and long term view from the Flames perspective in the Pacific arms race. SJS ahead now, and in a few seasons, Vancouver rises with a ton of young talent. Blegh.

Nah. Unless the Sharks added significantly, that doesn't make much sense for the Canucks at this point in time. Too much risk of another long term dud of a contract when we have junk like Eriksson and Sutter making over 10 mil combined. The idea would be to make room for Demko to be the undisputed #1 and have a veteran in there to back him up, rather than a guy who would expect to be getting the majority of the starts.

Markstrom would provide the Sharks with a good insurance option if Martin Jones ****s the bed again. He's far from a guarantee himself, but he's the kind of guy that can get hot at the right time and act much like a Binnington. He was legitimately the reason the Canucks stayed out of the bottom 3 last season. The Canucks were utterly dreadful otherwise, outside of Pettersson.

Err, I might be wrong, but you actually want Jones to play a ton of games. Throwing Demko into the front seat in the same way Markstrom was isn't a recipe of success IMO. You have to insulate the guy. Sure, this has the potential of being a Binnington/Allen tandem quickly, but if you resign to the idea that the proper way to approach your rebuild is at least another 1-2 seasons of rebuild, it's not as bad to consider. Jones crapping the bed while you wait for Demko means more potential for superstar talent. IMO, it's too early to jump into the fray for you guys especially with Seattle expansion lining up, but that expansion also probably will help you drop an excess dud on Seattle who will need contracts to meet cap floor anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad