Player Discussion Jackson LaCombe

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Wonder if Lacombe's play and size will eventually make the Zell tradeable defenseman? Drysdale, Lacombe, Minty, and Luneau coupled with Vets Fowler and Gudas are all playing or hopefully have a future with the Ducks. Does Lacombe become for valuable than Zell due to his ability to play both sides, size, and steadiness?
If we’re going to trade Zellweger we should while he has the most value. Question is that now or does he really start to explode in the AHL. Tough call on that.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Wonder if Lacombe's play and size will eventually make the Zell tradeable defenseman? Drysdale, Lacombe, Minty, and Luneau coupled with Vets Fowler and Gudas are all playing or hopefully have a future with the Ducks. Does Lacombe become for valuable than Zell due to his ability to play both sides, size, and steadiness?
Teams always need responsible two-way dman who can munch minutes in 5v5 situations or play reliably on the PK. Other veterans could be moved instead in the next season or two if Lacombe continues to develop his game.

As time goes on I think Zell vs Luneau will become our new Theodore vs Montour debates.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wonder if Lacombe's play and size will eventually make Zell the tradeable defenseman? Drysdale, Lacombe, Minty, and Luneau coupled with Vets Fowler and Gudas are all playing or hopefully have a future with the Ducks. Does Lacombe become more valuable than Zell due to his ability to play both sides, size, and steadiness?
The obvious move is to get rid of fowler…. He can’t live off the “vet presence” forever…. Mintyukov and lacombe already look more seasoned than him, and while he’s playing mins now eventually Mintyukov drysdale and lacombe start taking those mins from him.

Fowler’s fine this year, because you don’t want to put too much pressure on Mintyukov/lacombe/drysdale etc. but he’s going to have luneau, zellweger, hinds and potentially moore fighting for spots next year. And guys like minty drysdale and Lacombe will start to become those vets.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we’re going to trade Zellweger we should while he has the most value. Question is that now or does he really start to explode in the AHL. Tough call on that.

The early success of both Mintyukov and LaCombe is skewing our thoughts on the rest of our D-prospects to be just as productive and NHL-ready made. Don't understand the impatience instead of letting things develop.

I like having depth. I like having talented depth even more. Zellweger started his 3-year ELC this season. We can let him develop in the AHL without the need to rush him.

Fowler and Gudas' contract end in three years. We're going to need to replace those talents. Why would we get rid of Zellweger when we have the opportunity to let him stew in the AHL for awhile. Since Zell isn't tearing up the AHL, then it's safe to say the NHL jump is going to be more difficult for Zell. It's difficult for Luneau to play in the NHL this season. Zell can learn how to use his size against AHL pros for the next couple of seasons or more if need be.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I think the earliest time to trade him would be next offseason. And it would only be in a package for a young top 6 forward or legit forward prospect.

EDIT: Maybe as soon as the trade deadline, but only if there is a cost-controlled forward available.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Teams always need responsible two-way dman who can munch minutes in 5v5 situations or play reliably on the PK. Other veterans could be moved instead in the next season or two if Lacombe continues to develop his game.

As time goes on I think Zell vs Luneau will become our new Theodore vs Montour debates.
You see how we’ve treated luneau, he has the size that our Gm loves, to boot. He’s our man going forward imho

I think the earliest time to trade him would be next offseason. And it would only be in a package for a young top 6 forward or legit forward prospect.
Hard agree, Zellwegger isn’t being traded for draft picks.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One advantage of the current situation (i.e., a surplus of NHL ready d-men) is that there is no reason to rush Zell, Luneau, Hinds and Warren. I agree with the above posts that we should not trade any assets unless the return is a top winger. A player like Kent Johnson (who is on the outs in Columbus) or perhaps another similar player.

Reactions: lwvs84

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
So you're saying we'll eventually end up with neither one, having gotten nothing useful from trading them away? That's depressing.
I think the blame for how that situation worked out rests with GMBM :banghead:

Our organization is blessed now with an abundance of dmen talent. Our forward talent pool in juniors and AHL is almost cursed by a lack of talent. At some point PV is going to need to part with some young dmen to acquire some young forwards.

Don't know when or who will be the odd guy out on the blueline with future development timelines, but trade(s) have to happen at some point.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I think the blame for how that situation worked out rests with GMBM :banghead:

Our organization is blessed now with an abundance of dmen talent. Our forward talent pool in juniors and AHL is almost cursed by a lack of talent. At some point PV is going to need to part with some young dmen to acquire some young forwards.

Don't know when or who will be the odd guy out on the blueline with future development timelines, but trade(s) have to happen at some point.

I agree. I have the feeling that one of Drysdale and Zellweger are going to be used in a trade like that at some point, perhaps next offseason. The system is so barren of high level wingers, it's going to have to be an addition from outside the organization.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
There's virtually no chance that all of these dmen make the roster and end up playing long-term with the Ducks anyways, even if they all end up being serviceable NHL players.

With the emergence of a lot of guys this year, we'll likely have Drysdale/Minty/LaCombe as a good core for the foreseeable future (barring the health/development of Drysdale obviously). Fowler and Gudas have three years including 23/24 as well. That leaves basically one, maybe two roster spots open for Warren/Hinds/Luneau/Zellweger/Helleson/whatever other guys we draft in the coming years.

That doesn't mean there needs to be a rush to move anybody, especially since we're likely to be a fringe playoff team at best the next couple years. We have the time to let things cook a bit. But it's going to become a simple numbers game at some point. A trade for a wing seems inevitable given how much cash we're going to need to throw at our guys in a few years and how mediocre our forward depth is.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Can we get an edit on that t-shirt to say "Vote for Pavel"?
as long as he's willing to do the vote for pavel dance at the awards show when they hand the award to Pavel.
giphy4.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Lacombe will have had this season to show teams he’s already reliable etc. but could be zell for sure. I don’t see a world where fowler drysdale and zell all co exist
Fowler-Drysdale-Zellweger all on the same blue line long term I don't think is realistic, yeah. Will see... Drysdale is not playing anyway, which is super concerning.

LaCombe already logging 3:25 a night on PK, being able to play top pair minutes, being able to play either side... I see our management very interested in keeping him longterm. He brings very important attributes.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
What are the odds Drysdale injury is knee related… I would think they would’ve said something by now but are usually quiet when it’s knee related? Idk just pondering

Oct 18, 2011
If you graded him like an NFL player his grade would be pretty good, there's a couple miscues per game but for his experience level it's overall a pretty solid positive contribution to the team especially when you compare to what we had last year. Adding him, Minty, Gudas, and Lybushkin vs what we had at this time last year...big difference

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Fowler-Drysdale-Zellweger all on the same blue line long term I don't think is realistic, yeah. Will see... Drysdale is not playing anyway, which is super concerning.

LaCombe already logging 3:25 a night on PK, being able to play top pair minutes, being able to play either side... I see our management very interested in keeping him longterm. He brings very important attributes.
Good points

Reactions: Kalv

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
First time I've seen a player look much better away from Fowler.

There's been talk about him playing on the right side not being an issue, but I'm not buying it. At least not on the top pairing against other teams' best players.

He's probably our best option in that spot with Drysdale out and the other two pairings humming along, but I don't think it's optimal for him or the team this early in his professional career.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

There's been talk about him playing on the right side not being an issue, but I'm not buying it. At least not on the top pairing against other teams' best players.

He's probably our best option in that spot with Drysdale out and the other two pairings humming along, but I don't think it's optimal for him or the team this early in his professional career.
Yeah, ideally he'd be put with Gudas. I felt they worked well. But the other option currently is... Luneau

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

In a recent interview, forgot where I read it or heard it, but LaCombe said he was more comfortable on the right side b/c he played all four years in college at RD. Playing RD isn't the big issue, but playing top minutes as a rookie with Fowler are two possible issues.

Right now, it's optimal for the Ducks to have LaCombe on the top line b/c Luneau and Vaaks on the top line are not better options. Gudas might get worn down too fast playing top pairing minutes. Lyubushkin has been a great complement to Minchy and wouldn't want to mess that chemistry. I think it's a great opportunity and experience for LaCombe playing top minutes.

I guess I'm not seeing LaCombe struggling to where it affects his game all game. Sure, there are mistakes made, but he's still out there not being affected by it and it also shows while playing on the PK.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe is 3rd on the team in blocked shots, behind Gudas (142) and Lyubushkin (138). As for hits, he doesn't hit much with 47 registered hits, ranking him 15th on the team.

Cronin said that LaCombe has been one of the players that has improve the most. I decided to do some splits.

LaCombe2022-23Splits
Game SetGAPts+/-HitBlocksPlaying
1 to 65
1​
13​
14​
-25​
47​
117​
1 to 6
0​
1​
1​
1​
3​
10​
Pair 2
7 to 20
0​
2​
2​
-17​
15​
18​
Pair 1
21 to 40
0​
4​
4​
-7​
14​
41​
Pair 1 to 3
41 to 60
1​
5​
6​
-2​
13​
43​
Pair 1 to 3
61 to 65
0​
1​
1​
0​
2​
5​
Pair 1 to 2

LaCombe has improved his +/- throughout the season. His roughest segment was when he was first promoted to the top line with Fowler.

I think LaCombe could have more blocked shots if he played more on the PK, which he was taken off the PK at times in the latter 20 games or so.

The only time LaCombe played PP QB1, he earned 2 assists! Then Zell got called up and Minty returned from injury.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
LaCombe is 3rd on the team in blocked shots, behind Gudas (142) and Lyubushkin (138). As for hits, he doesn't hit much with 47 registered hits, ranking him 15th on the team.

Cronin said that LaCombe has been one of the players that has improve the most. I decided to do some splits.

LaCombe2022-23Splits
Game SetGAPts+/-HitBlocksPlaying
1 to 65
1​
13​
14​
-25​
47​
117​
1 to 6
0​
1​
1​
1​
3​
10​
Pair 2
7 to 20
0​
2​
2​
-17​
15​
18​
Pair 1
21 to 40
0​
4​
4​
-7​
14​
41​
Pair 1 to 3
41 to 60
1​
5​
6​
-2​
13​
43​
Pair 1 to 3
61 to 65
0​
1​
1​
0​
2​
5​
Pair 1 to 2

LaCombe has improved his +/- throughout the season. His roughest segment was when he was first promoted to the top line with Fowler.

I think LaCombe could have more blocked shots if he played more on the PK, which he was taken off the PK at times in the latter 20 games or so.

The only time LaCombe played PP QB1, he earned 2 assists! Then Zell got called up and Minty returned from injury.
Interesting to see the +/- splits. I kind of thought it would be like this but not this much of a difference tbh.

He's a good defenseman, imo. Sometimes playing well over 20 mins of steady hockey. I like his willingness to jump up on the play. With a better team that aspect should become even more dangerous weapon for this team.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad