Player Discussion Jackson LaCombe

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe does a lot of little things on the defensive end that goes unnoticed and big things too. He's got a low key physical game, skates like the wind, and can play RD without a hitch.

I noticed Cronin moved LaCombe to play with Fowler in the latter half of the first Boston game. Then he started off the Columbus game with Fowler despite the twitter feed showing Fowler-Vaaks. For this game, the twitter feed finally had it correct and fans noticed it.

Last year, we tried so many LHD to play RD and they all struggled except for Kulikov. It's jackpot for us that LaCombe is a LHD that can play RD no problem b/c that's all he played in college. LaCombe is showing he can play top-4 minutes and top-pairing minutes at LD or RD.

According to Hockey Reference, in the past six games, LaCombe has the lowest OZ start percentage for all defensemen at 41.9%. That's getting the tougher assignments!

OZ start % for Ducks D-men (first 6 games)
2023-24​
Ducks d-men​
First 6 games​
Player​
Games played​
OZ Start % (Even Strength)​
Mintyukov​
6​
53.5%​
Vaaks​
2​
52.6%​
Drysdale​
2​
47.8%​
Lyubushkin​
6​
47.7%​
Gudas​
6​
46.9%​
Fowler​
6​
45.0%​
Luneau​
2​
42.1%​
LaCombe​
6​
41.9%​

One aspect that LaCombe displayed in his first two games last year that isn't on par this year is shot blocking. Last year in only two games, LaCombe had 9 blocked shots. This year in 6 games thus far, he has 10 blocked shots. That's still top-5 on the team, but I kinda expected more.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The crazy thing is if this was any other year he would be getting so much praise and recognition for stepping right in, but he might be the 4th best rookie on the Ducks this year lol.

Even if he doesn't get better, he could easily be a solid second pairing guy for the Ducks. And the fact that he can play both sides is so valuable.

One aspect that LaCombe displayed in his first two games last year that isn't on par this year is shot blocking. Last year in only two games, LaCombe had 9 blocked shots. This year in 6 games thus far, he has 10 blocked shots. That's still top-5 on the team, but I kinda expected more.
I think that has more to do with the team defense. The Ducks are not in their zone for 3/4 of the game getting peppered with shots.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
LaCombe does a lot of little things on the defensive end that goes unnoticed and big things too. He's got a low key physical game, skates like the wind, and can play RD without a hitch.

I noticed Cronin moved LaCombe to play with Fowler in the latter half of the first Boston game. Then he started off the Columbus game with Fowler despite the twitter feed showing Fowler-Vaaks. For this game, the twitter feed finally had it correct and fans noticed it.

Last year, we tried so many LHD to play RD and they all struggled except for Kulikov. It's jackpot for us that LaCombe is a LHD that can play RD no problem b/c that's all he played in college. LaCombe is showing he can play top-4 minutes and top-pairing minutes at LD or RD.

According to Hockey Reference, in the past six games, LaCombe has the lowest OZ start percentage for all defensemen at 41.9%. That's getting the tougher assignments!

OZ start % for Ducks D-men (first 6 games)
2023-24​
Ducks d-men​
First 6 games​
Player​
Games played​
OZ Start % (Even Strength)​
Mintyukov​
6​
53.5%​
Vaaks​
2​
52.6%​
Drysdale​
2​
47.8%​
Lyubushkin​
6​
47.7%​
Gudas​
6​
46.9%​
Fowler​
6​
45.0%​
Luneau​
2​
42.1%​
LaCombe​
6​
41.9%​

I think Hazy or may Ahlers said that LaCombe stated that he still feels more comfortable (or something along those lines) on the right side because that's what he primarily played for the past 4 years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think that has more to do with the team defense. The Ducks are not in their zone for 3/4 of the game getting peppered with shots.

While that may be true, Lyubushkin has 26 blocked shots on the year already.

Hmmm... I do notice LaCombe winning puck battles along the boards, getting to pucks faster behind the net, and disrupting passes in the Dzone to get the puck out often. That could also be the reason why his Blocked Shots are lower b/c he's more aggressive defensively to win puck possessions now that he's in the NHL and had an NHL training camp/pre-season.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's looking like he can be the type of Dman who you can partner with anyone and in all situations. Could play on a key defensive pairing on the right side of a left handed shut down guy, or play the left beside a right handed offensive D - anything in between.

That versatility is a luxury for any team, but especially for us inevitably breaking in quite a few young D who will need time figuring out who/what they are.

I'd definitely agree that there is real offensive potential to be explored there as well. A very physically talented player who has rounded out his game massively from where he was at when drafted. Ya love to see it

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
While that may be true, Lyubushkin has 26 blocked shots on the year already.

Hmmm... I do notice LaCombe winning puck battles along the boards, getting to pucks faster behind the net, and disrupting passes in the Dzone to get the puck out often. That could also be the reason why his Blocked Shots are lower b/c he's more aggressive defensively to win puck possessions now that he's in the NHL and had an NHL training camp/pre-season.
My biggest knock on him at every level, including his small stint last year, is that he was too passive when defending. Like he'd be in great position, but then just gave the puck carrier time and space instead of closing the gap using his size and skating. Almost as if he was afraid to get beat. He's been much more aggressive defensively and using his tools thus far IMO.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My biggest knock on him at every level, including his small stint last year, is that he was too passive when defending. Like he'd be in great position, but then just gave the puck carrier time and space instead of closing the gap using his size and skating. Almost as if he was afraid to get beat. He's been much more aggressive defensively and using his tools thus far IMO.

I think he does that because that's how Minnesota taught him to play that way with his speed. They wanted him scanning around just in case he needs to defend a pass. You can see that he's always thinking on the ice. I wouldn't say he's passive, but it comes off that way.

Here with Cronin, he noticed that large gap too and wants LaCombe to play a lot closer as well as to use that speed on offense. (There was a twitter/X-video shared.) I think Cronin is trying to also make LaCombe more aggressive offensively like Mintyukov b/c of shared speed they have and offensive IQ.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Been a bit of slippage over the last couple games as it looks like he's been playing on his off side with Cam, but overall, he's been very good. Probably the only complaint I have (which is nitpicking admittedly) is there are times when he's guilty of backing off and doesn't maintain gaps at the defensive blue line, but he looks like he's gonna be a good second pairing guy for a long time.

His contract situation at the end of this year is an intriguing one and something to monitor.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Been a bit of slippage over the last couple games as it looks like he's been playing on his off side with Cam, but overall, he's been very good. Probably the only complaint I have (which is nitpicking admittedly) is there are times when he's guilty of backing off and doesn't maintain gaps at the defensive blue line, but he looks like he's gonna be a good second pairing guy for a long time.

His contract situation at the end of this year is an intriguing one and something to monitor.

Hopefully, Cronin can help iron out backing off. In recent games, he does back off and is also aggressive. Gotta adapt to NHL level of play than NCAA level of play.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He seemed pretty bad tonight IMO

LaCombe had a few hiccups and one large one, but it didn't rattle him. That's what we want from all of our rookies. Played the most time on the PK out of all of our D-men, which posted a 4 for 4 outing. That's a significant win for LaCombe, the PK unit, and the team.

Speaking of the defense PK unit, they were put out onto the ice to close the game instead of their usual partners:

Usual D-partners
Fowler-LaCombe​
Vaaks-Gudas​

PK D-partners
Fowler-Lyubushkin​
LaCombe-Gudas​

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They are rookies after all.. Keep in the mind Lacombe is playing on his offside..

LaCombe played on his off-side for all four years in college.

This year, he started off playing on his shooting side (LD), but was moved to his off-side (RD) to play top line with Fowler. But on the PK, he plays on his shooting side. We're fortunate that he's good enough to play both sides within the same game.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite and its fitting because Napoleon had a Uncle Rico and there is an uncle rico on the Ducks.
napoleon-dynamite_612x380.jpg

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I’ve always felt that Lacombe would be the one traded eventually.
Wonder if Lacombe's play and size will eventually make Zell the tradeable defenseman? Drysdale, Lacombe, Minty, and Luneau coupled with Vets Fowler and Gudas are all playing or hopefully have a future with the Ducks. Does Lacombe become more valuable than Zell due to his ability to play both sides, size, and steadiness?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Wonder if Lacombe's play and size will eventually make the Zell tradeable defenseman? Drysdale, Lacombe, Minty, and Luneau coupled with Vets Fowler and Gudas are all playing or hopefully have a future with the Ducks. Does Lacombe become for valuable than Zell due to his ability to play both sides, size, and steadiness?
Lacombe will have had this season to show teams he’s already reliable etc. but could be zell for sure. I don’t see a world where fowler drysdale and zell all co exist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad