Rumor: Jackets willing to move "every defenseman except Murray/Savard"

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I don't remember anyone talking about Moore the way that they talk about Murray. The report on Moore was filled with high praise for his skating and ability to carry the puck but criticism for his defensive play, the report on Murray was filled with high praise for his intelligence and decision-making in addition to pretty much everything else. I think the only knock on Murray was that he didn't have a real physical presence, but he was described as someone who would engage if needed and could hold his own.

Rangers fans were originally. He was McDonagh lite.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
This club desperately needs a smart top pair defender like Murray was supposed to be (and still has a diminished chance to be). I think we have a better shot of getting that out of Murray than from anything we'd get in a trade for Murray. So I wouldn't trade him for what the imagined return would be.

In other words:
What do the Jackets need? A top pair defender.
Which of the young players on the team has that potential? Only Ryan Murray.
Solution? Don't trade Ryan Murray.

Yep. We keep Murray.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't understand the fascination with Ryan Murray. Bad knees have spelled bad news for prospects in the past, and he's had two major injuries in the past three seasons. People were talking about J. Moore a lot like they are about Murray, and Moore can hardly crack the top six on the NYR.

No matter how good someone is, they can't contribute to a team from the press box.

This.. if anything I'm looking for his replacement.

Just don't trust he will ever been 100% again... seems like every time the wind blows he gets hurt.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
On the left side we have Murray, JJ, Connauton, Tyutin, and currently Leopold. I don't think depth is a big issue if we move one of them.

Depends which one we move, imo. Leopold I'm not counting because I see him going at the deadline for a 5th or so.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'd be curious about Taney from the Canucks. His name has appeared in several proposals and his possession numbers at a glance are solid.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This club desperately needs a smart top pair defender like Murray was supposed to be (and still has a diminished chance to be). I think we have a better shot of getting that out of Murray than from anything we'd get in a trade for Murray. So I wouldn't trade him for what the imagined return would be.

In other words:
What do the Jackets need? A top pair defender.
Which of the young players on the team has that potential? Only Ryan Murray.
Solution? Don't trade Ryan Murray.

THANK YOU. Thank you thank you thank you. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

* * *​
I'd be curious about Taney from the Canucks. His name has appeared in several proposals and his possession numbers at a glance are solid.

He'd be fairly expensive, but he does look like he'd be a pretty good add. That said, I haven't seen him play all that much, so... :dunno:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the stated desire of a trade is to "make our team better"
I fail to see how trading any of our top 6 D unless it is for a top 6 RW or the #1-3 draft choice accomplishes the stated goal.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Pending UFA defensemen, not including Group VI or unqualified RFA:
Mike Green
Paul Martin
Zbynek Michalek
Lubomir Visnovsky
Sergei Gonchar
Andrej Meszaros
Sheldon Souray
Bryan Allen
Kimmo Timonen
Francois Beauchemin
Johnny Oduya
Johnny Boychuk
Cody Franson
Jan Hejda
Barret Jackman
Bryce Salvador
Jeff Petry
Robyn Regehr
Eric Brewer
Andrej Sekera
Ryan Wilson
Michal Rozsival
John Erskine
Mike Weaver
Keith Ballard
Matt Bartkowski
Matt Carkner

After that are basically AHL-level guys. Of course, there are a few of those on here, but you get what I'm saying.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I fail to see how trading any of our top 6 D unless it is for a top 6 RW or the #1-3 draft choice accomplishes the stated goal.

Because our top 6 D aren't that great, so possibly packaging one with pick/prospect/forward for an upgrade would make the team better.

Maybe Jarmo trusts most of the nine (when healthy) D and doesn't mind adding a pick or two in the future while clearing the glut.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Sometimes one trade allows you to make another trade/move. I have never understood the thinking that a trade has to bring you back something you need now. Most trades should be made to maximize asset value.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sometimes one trade allows you to make another trade/move. I have never understood the thinking that a trade has to bring you back something you need now. Most trades should be made to maximize asset value.

Except when we're talking about important pieces.. you can have the better assets and never get a chance to get a #1D. They're just not for sale.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Exactly.

The trade deadline is all about teams adding for "now" and sacrificing a future asset. Some teams moving players need a roster transformation (like many cbj teams in the past), and other times you're just moving assets that others may need more than us. I don't see the CBJ revamping the roster, just tweaking it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we could use a serious upgrade on the right-side. Hopefully a top pair guy, but a second pair guy would still be useful. Right now Wiz is playing great with somewhat easier minutes, and Savard is struggling with the hard minutes. I'd go big for Boychuk who can do it all. Franson, Green, and Oduya are not so well-rounded, but anyone of them would still help our transition game and team speed greatly. Hejda wouldn't, but he is still a very effective defensive force, and we could use a shutdown guy so we could give easier minutes to the rest of the D.

The talk of subtracting a D is interesting.. I suppose we could ship out Tyutin, but Jack has some top pair gear to him, that although he rarely uses it, we should hang to.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

A high-end #1RW would be great, but here's five guys who can play top 6 RW:

Foligno
Hartnell
Atkinson
Letestu
Jenner

I do think we could use another winger but it's not a pressing need on the same level as top pair D.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Foligno
Hartnell
Atkinson
Letestu
Jenner

I do think we could use another winger but it's not a pressing need on the same level as top pair D.

But my point wasn't that we don't need a top pair D man but it was that trading one of our existing 6 guys wasn't going to bring one in here. Therefore in the spirit of the topic of the thread I suggested that I didn't see how listening to offers for one or more of our D would make us better unless it brought in a top 6 W or a 1-3 draft pick.

If we could trade JJ and Golo for Drew Doughty that would be cool. I'm all for it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Foligno
Hartnell
Atkinson
Letestu
Jenner

I don't know that Hartnell/Foligno/Jenner are comfortable on their off wing. I have no issue with them on the left side, but will they remain just as effective on the other side?

thebus2288*

So Murray is trade bait and Wennberg in untouchable?

You learn something new every day on here.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Pending UFA defensemen, not including Group VI or unqualified RFA:
Mike Green
Paul Martin
Zbynek Michalek
Lubomir Visnovsky
Sergei Gonchar
Andrej Meszaros
Sheldon Souray
Bryan Allen
Kimmo Timonen
Francois Beauchemin
Johnny Oduya
Johnny Boychuk
Cody Franson
Jan Hejda
Barret Jackman
Bryce Salvador
Jeff Petry
Robyn Regehr
Eric Brewer
Andrej Sekera
Ryan Wilson
Michal Rozsival
John Erskine
Mike Weaver
Keith Ballard
Matt Bartkowski
Matt Carkner

After that are basically AHL-level guys. Of course, there are a few of those on here, but you get what I'm saying.

These are who I would go after from an offensive standpoint:

Mike Green
Sheldon Souray- I know he's old but he's got a wicked shot and is mean and tough
Francois Beauchemin- righting a wrong?
Cody Franson- I don't know if he's even available after the trade, doubtful

From a toughness standpoint, our D is too soft in front of our net
Barret Jackman
Matt Carkner

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Mike Green
Sheldon Souray- I know he's old but he's got a wicked shot and is mean and tough

Barret Jackman
Matt Carkner

Souray and Carkner's careers are over due to injury so that won't happen. And you really want to get rid of Fedor Tyutin but sign Beachemin? That doesn't make sense to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Mike Green

Barret Jackman
Matt Carkner

Wow I thought I was pushing it with Jan Hejda.. but you reeally went for the old guys. Souray is done, BTW.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know that Hartnell/Foligno/Jenner are comfortable on their off wing. I have no issue with them on the left side, but will they remain just as effective on the other side?

I don't have numbers on it but I've seen them all play RW and didn't notice a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad