Rumor: Jackets trying to move Wisniewski

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hmm, I've never liked Wiz much but trading him would make us very shallow on the right side. If Jarmo can somehow hustle a younger right-sided D-man who doesn't suck, it'd be worth it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hmm, I've never liked Wiz much but trading him would make us very shallow on the right side. If Jarmo can somehow hustle a younger right-sided D-man who doesn't suck, it'd be worth it.
There are ways this could work out well, but I'm not exactly optimistic about the chances. I just hope I get proven wrong on that if a deal does happen.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
with the CBJ depth at C id give up wennberg and the 1st at deadline but deadline only. with kessel on the team the jackets would be a better scoring team and move up in the standings so the value falls and Kessel/RyJo/Foligno is to good of a line to pass up on.

....is exactly what Oakland's GM said when flipping first-round picks with Montreal, thus handing them Guy Lafleur...

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Unless we get a king's ransom in return, trading Wiz would be a terrible move. Only one more year at the $5,000,000 cap hit and then down to a very reasonable $3,000,000. He's a weapon on the power play and is consistent (with turnovers too I realize). Hope the Jackets don't think a guy like Connauton is going to keep producing like he has and could replace him.

Maybe there's something going on off the ice.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Unless we get a king's ransom in return, trading Wiz would be a terrible move. Only one more year at the $5,000,000 cap hit and then down to a very reasonable $3,000,000. He's a weapon on the power play and is consistent (with turnovers too I realize). Hope the Jackets don't think a guy like Connauton is going to keep producing like he has and could replace him.

Maybe there's something going on off the ice.

Cap hit doesn't change. His actual salary comes down which is another benefit to the CBJ. Has to be some disagreement internally...

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So did Wiz ask for a trade? What teams need defensive help?
Flames,Devils, and Stars were rumored to be interested in Phaneuf a couple of weeks ago. Think Ducks,Canadiens, and the Kings(but prob not Wiz type of player). Wings, Av's, Lightning, and the Oilers maybe.

Keep him mind he has a limited NTC. So I would assume the Flames and Oilers could be on it. Maybe the Devils. Not the Wings, I think he's from Michigan and it came down to us and them when he signed.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
For a new poster mikey you seem to get it. Don't be swayed by the "I wouldn't give up any Blue Jacket player or draft choice for any guy who has only averaged about .8 pts per game for his career and hasn't missed a game in 5 years" crowd.

Yeah. We shouldn't worry about little details like paying the guy $54M, with a cap hit of $8M, for the next 7 years (until he's 33/34) and trading two cost controlled young talents either. Salary, shmalary, I guess.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What do you think Jarmo wants for wiz....

A)Picks and prospects(basically a salary dump. Plans on using that money on July 1st or future trade. I would be happy if they got Boychuk on July 1st.)
B)Young forward(Devante Smith Pelly or Etem type)
C)Top 6 forward (Reilly or Eberle type)
D)Young defensemen
E)Opposite player of Wiz(player that is paid a lot but defensive)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah. We shouldn't worry about little details like paying the guy $54M, with a cap hit of $8M, for the next 7 years (until he's 33/34) and trading two cost controlled young talents either. Salary, shmalary, I guess.

So are we trying to win a Cup or save a few bucks? Other than having a bunch of people uttering a bunch of superlatives about hockey IQ, making the smart play, great vision and just about every other cliche known to hockey fans, Wennberg has not proven that he will turn out to be a good to great player. Kessel seems to be at that level now. Add him to a line with Foligno & Joey and that could be a very special line. Might not work out but nothing ventured nothing gained. Last years two Cup finalists added key players to help them get there (ironically perhaps, both got some of their best from the Jackets.)

Not making the trade could also work out well. We don't really know. Some trades work, some don't. But around here most posters are against endorsing any trade ideas or buyouts because all of our players and draft choices are just fine. That's bs and adding a guy like Kessel could really help this team next year and the year after and probably pretty darn close to when he reaches the ripe old age of 33/34. You don't get talent like that on the cheap, either in terms of what you have to give up to get that talent or what you have to pay to keep it.

Edit: After thinking some more about this I do think cap considerations have to be considered. 8 mill a year is a lot especially when Joey will probably command at least that and probably more in 2 years. I don't think it is a deal breaker in and of itself but it does need to be thought through. While impossible to undo another reason why I would have preferred buying out Umby and saving Hartnell's cap hit. I think my rant was somewhat influenced by the snarky way the cap was introduced to the discussion. Sorry.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad