Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Markus Hannikainen to an entry level contract

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If so we can always use one more or of them in package for a D man

If he has good potential to produce in the NHL why would you not sign him?

After this year you are worried about having too much of something?

Oh I don't disagree with either of you. What I find interesting is the targeting of forwards when I would hope they would be targeting D. Both in the NHL and our system we have more forwards than D that will make an impact.

I hope he does well. I don't count on it though. I'm assuming he's bound for the LEM.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I could see Hannikainen staying in Finland for one more season after signing his ELC just because he could get buried in the lineup in Erie if he does struggle.
Yeah, I wish. However I don't see him returning to Finland any time soon. He signed only for two years. If it would be three, then a year in Finland wouldn't hurt but two years is a different story. He has to get used to the NA style of play with a smaller rink.

I have faith in him. He plays like every shift is his last, he certainly has the speed to make it there, he has decent hands but he won't be star forward. I think his upside is a 3rd liner who plays a good two-way play. After all, he won the plus/minus award last season in Finland.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I thought he was behind a bunch of guys last year too, but he made the team out of camp IIRC.

So who knows. But on our depth chart he would be in the AHL all season barring lots of injuries.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I thought he was behind a bunch of guys last year too, but he made the team out of camp IIRC.
He did? I think he scored in the Monsters' first regular season game (though I'm not entirely sure), so that would seem unlikely.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Hannikainen didn't make the Jackets regular season out of training camp last year..If I remember correctly, he was injured to start the season so maybe was just up here for rehab or sent to Lake Erie a bit later than others. He did get called up to play for the Jackets for some games last season however though before Milano and Bjorkstrand got called up.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Hannikainen didn't make the Jackets regular season out of training camp last year..If I remember correctly, he was injured to start the season so maybe was just up here for rehab or sent to Lake Erie a bit later than others. He did get called up to play for the Jackets for some games last season however though before Milano and Bjorkstrand got called up.

That's right. I'm remembering that because they introduced him on opening night since he played the last preseason game and was hurt (never cut).

Then he got the surprise call up.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nope. He's behind Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Dubois, and Milano at least.

I wouldn't say he's in direct competition with the latter three. Hannikainen, Anderson, and Sedlak are all guys with lower offensive upside that the club wouldn't mind sticking on the fourth line if they win a job there. That said, Hannikainen has to beat those two along with maybe someone like Campbell to win a job. I don't think his chances are that good.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
For those saying he's headed back to Finland and is this years melart or hjalmarsson, you couldn't be more wrong.

He plays a big role in Cleveland. He was playing on a line with bjork and sedlak iirc in the playoffs. I think it's safe to assume he is committed here for the foreseeable future.

Hell he even had his own Young Guns card in last years Upper Deck set. Haha. I doubt he sees much nhl time this year, but it's more realistic than the last two signings from overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad