Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Markus Hannikainen to an entry level contract

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
6'2" 185# seems a little light.

Also, I thought we already had a glut of forwards....

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I don't really know anything about him, but you can never have too many good players for the reasons already mentioned. Depth is great. I hope we have so much depth our NHL and AHL teams are loaded.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
I haven't seen him that much in Liiga, but in the few games against my team the thing that inpressed me the most was his play near the boards. He seemed to be damn good at cycling the puck around. Hopefully it translates well to NHL-level too.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Out of all of the Euro signings that Jarmo has done in the past, this one has me excited the most and for good reason. Markus stood out, in a good way, at camp. In my honest opinion he had one of thr best camps out of all attendees. Flashed tons of confidence so to see him put up the numbers that he did in Finland doesn't surprise me much. Can't wait to see where he fits in with the big club.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Out of all of the Euro signings that Jarmo has done in the past, this one has me excited the most and for good reason. Markus stood out, in a good way, at camp. In my honest opinion he had one of thr best camps out of all attendees. Flashed tons of confidence so to see him put up the numbers that he did in Finland doesn't surprise me much. Can't wait to see where he fits in with the big club.
Looking at his stats he took a huge step this past season. He didnt really produce in Liiga until this past season but he produced at every other level that hes played at. I think once he adjusts to the NA style in a season or two he could be a really good signing.

[Tweet]590254466147999744[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I don't believe undrafted player older than 20 years, who did not play in the KHL last season, and playing in another European league(SHL, SM liiga, EBEL not important) can do more than Lake Erie next season. I've seen it in the season 12/13 Mellart and in the season 13/14 Hjalmarsson.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This years Hjalmarsson/Melart I see.

I like him, I remember him from camp. At worst he's a LE Monster or leaves back for Finland. Why not.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I would say Hännikäinen is more of an added second round draft pick to Lake Erie than another Melart or Hjalmarsson like tryout signing.

Could be compared Markus Granlund, Miikka Salomäki or Borna Rendulic.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This years Hjalmarsson/Melart I see.

I like him, I remember him from camp. At worst he's a LE Monster or leaves back for Finland. Why not.

I don't see him coming back anytime soon. He's still fairly young in his hockey career and there's plenty to still learn from the NA rinks for him. Guys his age and playing style don't come back very quickly.

viiggen

Sep 26, 2009
Luleå
I don't believe undrafted player older than 20 years, who did not play in the KHL last season, and playing in another European league(SHL, SM liiga, EBEL not important) can do more than Lake Erie next season. I've seen it in the season 12/13 Mellart and in the season 13/14 Hjalmarsson.

Well.. Just look att Zuccarello, he was undrafted and i think the most of NYR fans like him now.. Also Red Wings let their younger ones play in AHL until they get the chance in NHL, almost everyone is over 22.

I never judge a player out before he get the chance, if he is 18 or 25 dosent matter to me. :)

EDIT: I know Zucca is a kind of his own, but just sayin.. And about Hjalmarsson i cant believe how he even get a NHL-contract, he isnt that good. Maybe in a fourth line, but that he wont accept.

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
Looking at his stats he took a huge step this past season. He didnt really produce in Liiga until this past season but he produced at every other level that hes played at. I think once he adjusts to the NA style in a season or two he could be a really good signing.

I think the main reason for him not producing before in Liiga was that he played in a completely different role. He was a 4th line energy guy in Jokerit before and a top 6 forward in JYP this season. Nevertheless I think his ceiling at NHL-level is a decent 4th liner.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I don't believe undrafted player older than 20 years playing in... another European league can do more than Lake Erie /aka AHL / next season.

Well.. Just look att Zuccarello, he was undrafted and i think the most of NYR fans like him now..

Sorry, I dont see Your logic :) and where played Zuccarelo his first season?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reserving judgment until I see how he pans out. Melart and Hjalmarsson didn't cost us anything other than disappointment on the part of some who were quick to get their hopes up. Would be nice to see one of these pay off, but I'm in no rush.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I have no probklem with these types of signings. You are bound to find a diamond in the rough at some point.

Plus, I would love to see the CBJ stock Lake Erie up with guys that could give them success, and be able to hold down the fort when injuries hit the Jackets. Does this guy fit that bill? We can only hope, but no harm in giving him a shot.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't see him coming back anytime soon. He's still fairly young in his hockey career and there's plenty to still learn from the NA rinks for him. Guys his age and playing style don't come back very quickly.

I think if he was really a flight risk to go back to Finland if he didn't get NHL time, he wouldn't have signed a 2 year deal. That to me sounds like he is willing to stick around and give it a real chance to try and make in North America.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Very little risk to this signing. Has some size and he looked like he had done wheels in Dev Camp. Minimal investment for potential reward. Also a cost controlled player that can move up and down for the first few years without waivers. I think these signings are very smart for the CBJ.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This is different than the Melart and Hjalmarsson signings since Hannikainen is a multi-year ELC. So, he could go back to Finland and that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe another year over there would be helpful for his development. Teams like Detroit let their Euros develop in Europe rather than rushing them over. Even Detroit has had issues developing Euros in the AHL, and it's not always the best for players to try to both adapt to North America and learn to be skilled, offensive players.

The number of young forwards potentially in Erie next season is going to be crazy: Anderson, Rychel, Milano, Tynan, Bjorkstrand, Zaar and now maybe Hannikainen. That's assuming Wennberg and Dano remain in the NHL. Plus there's Karlsson. That could be 3 lines.

The beat reporter for the Helsingborgs Dagblad keeps suggesting that Zaar could sign with his hometown Rögle who were promoted to the SHL, rather than playing in the AHL next season. That's not up to Zaar, since he has a contract with the Jackets and they're likely to tell him he's in Erie. But a lot of European players would rather stay at home at a top level league than have to play in the minors in North America.

I could see Hannikainen staying in Finland for one more season after signing his ELC just because he could get buried in the lineup in Erie if he does struggle. Having that many rookies didn't help Springfield this season. A strategy of inserting 2-3 rookies into the Erie lineup rather than trying to coach a team that is almost entirely 1st and 2nd year players would be a better strategy.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If nothing else, he's organizational depth. Given how bad our Springfield replacements were this season, almost anything can be viewed as an improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad