GDT: Jackets at Avalanche, 9pm Eastern

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Pfft you think this team will pay for 3 coaches, a fired GM and a fired president? :laugh:.
Allowing a toad like JD to have the deciding voice on who will guide the franchise for the next decade or so instead of paying him a year of pay would be simply idiotic. Which is what this ownership group apparently is.

JD is a flipping joke. Keeping him on and allowing him to set the course for the next decade is a disgrace.

Reactions: VABUCK and EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Allowing a toad like JD to have the deciding voice on who will guide the franchise for the next decade or so instead of paying him a year of pay would be simply idiotic. Which is what this ownership group apparently is.

JD is a flipping joke. Keeping him on and allowing him to set the course for the next decade is a disgrace.

We've covered this before, you know it too. If you take JD out of it then Mike Priest is the one deciding on the next GM and we're not that dumb.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We've covered this before, you know it too. If you take JD out of it then Mike Priest is the one deciding on the next GM and we're not that dumb.
The universe of possible decision makers is not limited to JD and Mike Priest. You know that, too.

Having those two failures being involved in the GM decision is a complete dereliction of responsibility by McConnell-who is beyond redemption as an owner. He's a failure of epic proportion such that we're even debating that it's a Priest/JD alternative.

This franchise is a joke from top to bottom.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah and who do you suggest is going to hire that decision maker?
The owner, of course.

I suggested an outside agency be brought in a long time ago. McConnell never could have run Worthington like he does the CBJ. Priest should have gone a long time ago. But evidently his friendship with McConnell is such that McConnell puts that friendship far above the performance of the organization.

McConnell really needs to sell the team. For the sake of his father's memory if nothing else.

VABUCK

Oct 31, 2014
Midlothian, VA
Pfft you think this team will pay for 3 coaches, a fired GM and a fired president? :laugh:.
20+ years of sucking, at this point all that's known is the Blue Jackets will make the wrong choice. Stop giving contracts to people who are unqualified and then you don't have to worry about having to continue to pay them.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Tonight showed where this franchise really is. It's a basement dweller and a healthy Laine, Fantilli and KJ don't move the meter that much. This team is horrible.

Other than Fantilli, there's not a single player on this team who should be considered untouchable.
But Boone....Leadership..... blah blah blah.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The last time a McConnell hired our GM we got stuck with Doug Maclean.

I would rather JD pick.

I would prefer an independent firm be brought in to lay out which teams have been successful at developing a culture we would like to emulate (Boston, etc.) and identify people who have worked in those front offices who are potential GMs.

I also want to know why are we grooming Nash to be GM instead of a guy who had actual NHL success. What is Patrice Bergeron doing? That is kind of guy I’d bring in if I was looking for a player who might make a good GM. Give me a guy who wasn’t a 1st overall pick who was an incredibly hard worker who really seemed to understand the game.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017

At this point I would prefer Priest and his accounting background to hire an analytics based GM more than JD to hire from his good 'ole boys network of GM decisions based on gut feeling and what bathroom stall is being used.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Someday, we'll be an NHL team. 😢

but not today.
1711201902321.gif

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't think we want McConnell to sell. That could lead to talk of moving the team. But I think the league recognizes Columbus as a great market & would not let that happen.

I tend to agree with the comments suggesting the hiring of an outside consultant who could perform an objective review of what works around the league and then make suggestions. I also agree that such an approach would be far more constructive than JD's allegedly comprehensive review of his "good old boy" network which seems to be where we are heading now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would prefer an independent firm be brought in to lay out which teams have been successful at developing a culture we would like to emulate (Boston, etc.) and identify people who have worked in those front offices who are potential GMs.

Sure, that's what gifted the league Peter Chiarelli and Jim Benning, both out of the Boston front office. Also now the two most reviled ex GMs in recent memory.

Can I at least get you to admit that this isn't easy?

What is Patrice Bergeron doing?

I would hire him in a flash.

You want to talk about the culture in Boston, that was largely from Bergeron, not their FO. Very intelligent guy.

But I expect he won't be available and I expect we will be ruling out candidates who don't have many years of FO experience.

Reactions: squashmaple

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We can only hope that the Babcock "good ole boy" network hire was a wake up call to do something different.

However, every organizational hire we seem to make has come from an internal alumni or a friend of the one doing the hiring. Hopefully the next one is neither of those and has the balls be strong with his vision. I suspect he'll need to do some convincing of others in the organization to follow his path and not undermine him because "it's not how we do things around here."

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What in the absolute **** is being accomplished?

Why are we flying around Jiricek to sit in the press box to watch Christiansen, Bean, etc.? Let him take his lumps against MacKinnon and Rantanen. He's got to learn sometime. Might as well make it this season and not when, in theory,.you're competing.

Why is Voronkov getting yanked around playing 11-12 minutes a night while Jenner plays 22 basically every game?

Either Vincent is a moron or he's being mandated to do so by people above him in the organization.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let him take his lumps against MacKinnon and Rantanen. He's got to learn sometime. Might as well make it this season and not when, in theory,.you're competing.

I think that's bad development.

It needs to be more gradual, and Jiricek isn't at that stage yet.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What in the absolute **** is being accomplished?

Why are we flying around Jiricek to sit in the press box to watch Christiansen, Bean, etc.? Let him take his lumps against MacKinnon and Rantanen. He's got to learn sometime. Might as well make it this season and not when, in theory,.you're competing.

Why is Voronkov getting yanked around playing 11-12 minutes a night while Jenner plays 22 basically every game?

Either Vincent is a moron or he's being mandated to do so by people above him in the organization.
There's a difference between taking your lumps and being embarrassed and having your confidence broken.

From all reports he hasn't been playing spectacularly in the AHL, why should he be gifted minutes against top NHL players?

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sure, that's what gifted the league Peter Chiarelli and Jim Benning, both out of the Boston front office. Also now the two most reviled ex GMs in recent memory.

Can I at least get you to admit that this isn't easy?

It isn’t easy. It is incredibly difficult - you are looking for a person who can outmaneuver 31 other people to build a championship team.

But I would prefer an independent search firm to get involved than letting JD do it on his own. Hiring a chief executive is different than a normal HR function. Worthington Industries would bring in outside help if they were hiring a chief executive. I expect the same for the Jackets, especially given the last 3 years of dysfunction.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It isn’t easy. It is incredibly difficult - you are looking for a person who can outmaneuver 31 other people to build a championship team.

But I would prefer an independent search firm to get involved than letting JD do it on his own. Hiring a chief executive is different than a normal HR function. Worthington Industries would bring in outside help if they were hiring a chief executive. I expect the same for the Jackets, especially given the last 3 years of dysfunction.
I agree with that for the explicit reason I don't want to rely solely on JD's crony network again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad