Not open for further replies.

phtrem

Aug 16, 2002
Everywhere you aren't!
Visit site
Hi guys,

I would like to have your inputs on theses two players :
- How they are doing so far this year?
- Which one would be the first to develop?
- Is their styles comparable?
- Which one is more offensive/defensive/overall?
- What are their offensive prospects in 2, 5 and 10 years?

Thans guys!

benbouch

Nov 13, 2002
Québec
Visit site
I don't know about Lee but Johnson will be a very good player and he's doing very well since the beginning of the year. I think he's the next Dion Phaneuf

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Mind you, I've only seen one of Lee's games and none of Johnsons. But I belive that both are doing awesome.

Lee is more of an offensive D-man but can handle himself in his own end, not overally physical but outstanding positionally. Perfect for the new game...He's been compared to Brian Leech and I agree, while there is no way to tell if his career will be anywhere near Leech but their styles are very similar. Plus, Lee is a right handed shot so that's always a plus with the amount of leftie shots around (expecially on Ottawa). I think the HF ranking has for Lee is selling him abit short. They should have left it at 8.5 c rather then mysteriously changing it to 8 c. Cause I really think this kid is going to be somthing special.

Johnson on the other hand, well, think of the perfect defenceman, and then make him a little worse. He's quite frankly good at everything (possibly abit undersized, Lee is bigger) He can shoot, he can skate, he can hit, the total package. That's the best I can put it for him.

Roy G Biv*

SenSk9tSen said:
Mind you, I've only seen one of Lee's games and none of Johnsons. But I belive that both are doing awesome.

Lee is more of an offensive D-man but can handle himself in his own end, not overally physical but outstanding positionally. Perfect for the new game...He's been compared to Brian Leech and I agree, while there is no way to tell if his career will be anywhere near Leech but their styles are very similar. Plus, Lee is a right handed shot so that's always a plus with the amount of leftie shots around (expecially on Ottawa). I think the HF ranking has for Lee is selling him abit short. They should have left it at 8.5 c rather then mysteriously changing it to 8 c. Cause I really think this kid is going to be somthing special.

Johnson on the other hand, well, think of the perfect defenceman, and then make him a little worse. He's quite frankly good at everything (possibly abit undersized, Lee is bigger) He can shoot, he can skate, he can hit, the total package. That's the best I can put it for him.

Johnson is the better prospect right now.

Here are some lofty, player comparisons:

Lee = Niedermayer/Leetch
Johnson = Pronger/Blake

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
The comparison isn't close. Lee should be compared to guys like Staal, Parent, Bourdon etc. He is no where close to Johnson.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Hooter said:
The comparison isn't close. Lee should be compared to guys like Staal, Parent, Bourdon etc. He is no where close to Johnson.

if you read the thread opposed to the thread title, you would realize this wasnt meant as a player vs player, but where they are in their development and what each players ceiling is. You have to stop hating everytime a Senator is involved.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
J. Johnson is more the flashy player. Meaning he'll make a big hit, or unleash a big shot. Lee is consistant and smart. Making the right play and not always as flashy. I like the Neidermayer/Pronger comparison. Both very valuable but in different ways. Being a smart player(Lee) vs a physical player(Johnson) it will take Lee a little longer to figure it out and look good doing it. You can always just hit the oppostion and look good.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hooter said:

I think Lee vs Bourdon vs Stall would be a great comparision. I think the 2 teams that passed Staal for another defenseman will be kicking themself. That being said i might be biased because i am from thunder bay:)

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
boredmale said:
I think Lee vs Bourdon vs Stall would be a great comparision. I think the 2 teams that passed Staal for another defenseman will be kicking themself. That being said i might be biased because i am from thunder bay:)

Well, I for one would take Staal and Bourdon over Lee, and see Parent being on par. I would have said that prior to last years draft before Lee was taken by Ottawa, and one doesn't need to be from Thunder Bay to come to that conclusion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hooter said:
and thinks Lee is in Johnson league

LOL, I'm glad we're all such great hockey prognosticators as to know already which of them will have the better career. :shakehead

It's so pointless, particularly as d-men generally take a little longer to develop their game anyway.

You could be right, but you could just as easily be wrong. People making such black and white distinctions at this point are sorely misguided.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Hooter said:
Well, I for one would take Staal and Bourdon over Lee, and see Parent being on par. I would have said that prior to last years draft before Lee was taken by Ottawa, and one doesn't need to be from Thunder Bay to come to that conclusion.

That's because you're not very smart.

Look at Ottawa's draft history with defensemen. I don't think anyone should be questioning the pick.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
TheCoach said:
That's because you're not very smart.

Look at Ottawa's draft history with defensemen. I don't think anyone should be questioning the pick.

Could care less about their draft history.. Just because Ottawa makes the selection i'm supposed to hand Lee the benefit of the doubt? and place him higher then the players I mentioned, when he has shown not a damn thing that really goes beyond the 3 players I mentioned as an overall defenceman. Oh, but wait, he was handed a spot on the US WJC team (controversial and questionable pick I might add) and looked completely out of place. Taking Staal or Bourdon ahead of him, and considering Parent on par is no insult to the guy, and is far from an opinion that should lead to one having their intelligence questioned. If you think Lee is the better prospect just because of Ottawa's past history it is you who is not very smart.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Hooter said:
Could care less about their draft history.. Just because Ottawa makes the selection i'm supposed to hand Lee the benefit of the doubt? and place him higher then the players I mentioned, when he has shown not a damn thing that really goes beyond the 3 players I mentioned as an overall defenceman. Oh, but wait, he was handed a spot on the US WJC team (controversial and questionable pick I might add) and looked completely out of place. Taking Staal or Bourdon ahead of him, and considering Parent on par is no insult to the guy, and is far from an opinion that should lead to one having their intelligence questioned. If you think Lee is the better prospect just because of Ottawa's past history it is you who is not very smart.

Hasn't shown anything?
- Was on the WJC Team ahead of Jack Johnson. Controversial or not, he was selected as a 17 year old, which is impressive. And the fact that he may have looked a little out of place is not surprising, considering the fact that he was in high school and he had to play against the likes like Carter, Richards, Crosby, etc.
- Is almost at a PPG pace in his first year in college hockey, and has already established himself as the powerplay quarterback on his team. Once again, all of this as a freshman.

Whether he is better than the other guys is yet to be determined. We'll know that when they begin their NHL careers.
However, to just dismiss him out of hand like you have, without probably ever having seen him play, is just ridiculous.

Furthermore, the Senators draft history has plenty to do with this argument. Drafting defensemen like Volchenkov and Meszaros the past few years tells me that they sure know what they're doing. Therefore, if their scouting staff believes that Lee is a better prospect than Bourdon or Staal, I'm going to have to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad