Jack Hughes vs Moritz Seider

who would you rather build your franchise around?

• Total voters

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
This one’s tough. Ill homer vote for Hughes, but the real answer very well could flip flop depending on the season. Zegras can definitely enter the conversation too.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Jack Hughes since getting healthy from his shoulder injury has 47 points in 33 games - I think he should be getting the nod right about now due to the position and contract he already has

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Seider
Zegras
Hughes

lol

Honest question. What does Hughes have to do to impress you?

I remember the Kakko vs Hughes poll from before the start of the year where he said Kakko>Hughes because Kakko will be Landeskog and Hughes will be Gaudreau. That's a take that has aged extraordinarily well in more ways than one

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
Hughes for me but that is purely positional. I would prefer a top center than top d to build around. I would not be upset with building around either though.

Reactions: xigon

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Franchise C > Franchise D

And Hughes is looking every part of that of a franchise C.
It may have taken him a few more seasons than some of the previous 1st overalls that were super hyped, but he is looking like the player that any team with a 1st overall pick would like to grab.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This is probably one of the hardest polls for me because both players are fabulous. However I will say getting a legit top pairing RHD with size and skill is just too hard to pass up for me. Hughes has been money this season and honestly you can't go wrong with either but if had to vote Seider gets mine. What a draft and Zegras is dynamite as well I might add.

Reactions: Realgud

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Franchise C > Franchise D

And Hughes is looking every part of that of a franchise C.
It may have taken him a few more seasons than some of the previous 1st overalls that were super hyped, but he is looking like the player that any team with a 1st overall pick would like to grab.

Him coming in slower ended up working out for the best for us since his upcoming contract is going to be a massive steal. It's reminiscent of MacKinnon not breaking out until he was already on his next deal

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Homer vote for Seider, but you could easily make an argument for both guys, and both positions.

There isn’t a bad answer here, outside, “AINEC.” Honestly, a too close to call option would’ve probably won the poll.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Him coming in slower ended up working out for the best for us since his upcoming contract is going to be a massive steal. It's reminiscent of MacKinnon not breaking out until he was already on his next deal
Maybe, maybe not. If Hughes is asking in the 8.5-9 million range do you really think NJ would be adamant that the number be in the 7's? Because Mack didn't have his massive breakout until the second season of his contract, whereas Hughes is having said breakout right before it. His slower career start may prevent him from getting a Matthews/Marner level contract for his first contract, but I also could see it being a couple million more than Mack's.

I do believe though that whatever contract Hughes signs will be a steal, in that he will be worth way more than whatever he ends up signing for, similar to a lot of the top franchise players in the league.

Mar 26, 2010
Jack Hughes for me. This kid is going to be the real deal.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Maybe, maybe not. If Hughes is asking in the 8.5-9 million range do you really think NJ would be adamant that the number be in the 7's? Because Mack didn't have his massive breakout until the second season of his contract, whereas Hughes is having said breakout right before it. His slower career start may prevent him from getting a Matthews/Marner level contract for his first contract, but I also could see it being a couple million more than Mack's.

I do believe though that whatever contract Hughes signs will be a steal, in that he will be worth way more than whatever he ends up signing for, similar to a lot of the top franchise players in the league.

He’s already signed. He signed when he came back from the injury for 8x8. It’s not an exact 1-1 comparison because MacKinnon’s huge breakout came in year 5 when he was on year 2 of his new deal while Jack’s is year 3 but the comparison comes in because they both signed before they had their big breakouts which kept their contract lower than what it could’ve been.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Seider.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be in the Norris conversation within a year or 2. Not sure you can make an argument that Hughes will be in the conversation for the best C in the NHL at any point during his career, so by this logic, it's Mo.

I like Hughes though, so I'll respect the people voting for him. I just think Seider's ceiling will be a more dominant player.

• Haha
Reactions: NJ DevLolz

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Seider.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be in the Norris conversation within a year or 2. Not sure you can make an argument that Hughes will be in the conversation for the best C in the NHL at any point during his career, so by this logic, it's Mo.

I like Hughes though, so I'll respect the people voting for him. I just think Seider's ceiling will be a more dominant player.

there isn't anyone at other positions as good as McDavid though so I don't think that's an entirely fair analogy, this is a guy that has a legitimate shot at being a top 5 player of all time once it's all said and done

I think Hughes could definitely be in the conversation with the Centers in the tier below that in a couple years

anyways personally as far as the poll goes I would be willing to trade Seider for Hughes if given the chance at a 1:1 swap so I voted for him here

Reactions: xigon
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
there isn't anyone at other positions as good as McDavid though so I don't think that's an entirely fair analogy, this is a guy that has a legitimate shot at being a top 5 player of all time once it's all said and done

I think Hughes could definitely be in the conversation with the Centers in the tier below that in a couple years

anyways personally as far as the poll goes I would be willing to trade Seider for Hughes if given the chance at a 1:1 swap so I voted for him here

You're entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree. That would not be a good trade for the organization at all. Our defense is in absolute shambles as it is, and I can't imagine how bad it would be without Seider. Although we could definitely use some more skill up front, offensive production is the least of our concerns at the moment.

I don't think many Wings fans would agree with you on this one.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Seider.

That logic is pretty irrational though. There is no defenseman that is comparable to Mcdavid.

Any franchise would be lucky to have either, as an isles fan we need scoring help so i would want Hughes.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
As a Wings fan, defense is a bigger need for us and Seider has all the makings of a franchise defenseman.

In the abstract though, I'd generally prefer a 1C over a 1D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad