Jack Hughes vs Kaapo Kakko

Hughes or Kakko

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

izi

Apr 16, 2017
Maybe a little bit early but looking at the top prospects of the 2019 draft there´s Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko which both looks like top 5 picks. Both of them played a major role in this years U18 tournament and now i'm wondering how much better Hughes is than Kakko at the moment and if you think there will be the same rivalry between them as there were with Matthews and Laine two years ago?

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
^^ Jack Hughes
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/ground.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/pic.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This isn't even close. No, this is not Matthews vs. Laine. In all likelihood, neither is that level of hockey player, especially Kakko who I know the Finn's have started their big campaign for.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hughes is better at skating and vision, perhaps shot. Hands I have difficulty giving to Hughes because of how good Kakko's are. Kakko is bigger and stronger. Hughes seems stronger in IQ and passing.

This is Hughes. But next season Kakko might come closer than expected.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
This isn't even close. No, this is not Matthews vs. Laine. In all likelihood, neither is that level of hockey player, especially Kakko who I know the Finn's have started their big campaign for.
Then you obviously dont know anything about Kakko.. And didnt watch Laine tbh.. Otherway, you should know where Laine were playing, how he were ranked etc.. In his -1 draft season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here the attacks come. I knew it. Lets see if the O/U on this is five.

There was already a guy last week who was verbally berating me because I said I had Kakko ranked a few slots lower than he did.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Here the attacks come. I knew it. Lets see if the O/U on this is five.

There was already a guy last week who was verbally berating me because I said I had Kakko ranked a few slots lower than he did.
Bahaha! So that's your only defense? An a attack? Please.... Can you please then show me, where Laine played in his -1 draft season. Where he was ranked before his draft season..

You were the guy saying that Hughes and Kakko arent even on the same level as Matthews and Laine. So when you express such radical opinions, you're certainly getting disagreed.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Kakko was great in spurts but Hughes was a constant threat - I haven't watched either at all on other platforms than the WJC ones so I'm naturally picking Hughes

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Is Hughes center in NHL? Please dont judge cuz this closer than people think. Kakko having one good summer and he may be runner up.

Reactions: Ippenator

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Kakko was great in spurts but Hughes was a constant threat - I haven't watched either at all on other platforms than the WJC ones so I'm naturally picking Hughes
Pretty good post. Hughes was constant threat but Kakko flashed some serious skill at times. His skillset is excellent
for NHL but Hughes was unanimous tournament MVP so him right now. Gap is much smaller than Matthews vs Laine heading into their draft year.

Reactions: Frannel

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty good post. Hughes was constant threat but Kakko flashed some serious skill at times. His skillset is excellent
for NHL but Hughes was unanimous tournament MVP so him right now. Gap is much smaller than Matthews vs Laine heading into their draft year.

Hughes will likely go 1st but there are few differences in this fight vs Laine vs Matthews.

• Kakko will play against men, 2016 both of the top guys played against men
  • Kakko will be valued higher than Laine before draft season starts, Laine carried some question marks before his dominant eye opening u20 tourney
  • Matthews 6'3, Laine 6'4, Kakko 6'2(eliteprospects have 6'4), Hughes 5'10
Kakko's biggest weakness is that he's a W, Laine had skating& attitude questions before draft.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Hughes will likely go 1st but there are few differences in this fight vs Laine vs Matthews.

• Kakko will be valued higher than Laine before draft season starts, Laine carried some question marks before his dominant eye opening u20 tourney
Kakko's biggest weakness is that he's a W, Laine had skating& attitude questions before draft.
Kakko has all the tools to play center, which Laine doesnt have.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki

Seems rather unlikely, https://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099. Laine having knee injuries was his biggest question mark going into his draft season while having easily better d-2 season than Kakko. As for Hughes vs Kakko seems rather likely that Hughes goes earlier than Kakko

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Seems rather unlikely, https://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099. Laine having knee injuries was his biggest question mark going into his draft season while having easily better d-2 season than Kakko. As for Hughes vs Kakko seems rather likely that Hughes goes earlier than Kakko
How come Laine had "easily better" season?

Laine:
U-18: (all games) 11GP, 13P.
Liiga: 6GP, 1P.
Mestis: 36GP, 12P.
Jr.A.Liiga: 6GP, 5P.

Kakko:
U-18: 13GP, 17P.
Liiga: 6GP, 1P
Jr.A.Liiga:38GP, 55P
Jr.B.Liiga: 6GP, 11P.

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
How come Laine had "easily better" season?

Laine:
U-18: (all games) 11g, 13p.
Liiga: 6g, 1p
Mestis: 36g, 12p
Jr.A.Liiga: 6g, 5p.

Kakko:
U-18: 13g, 17p
Liiga: 6g, 1p
Jr.A.Liiga:38g, 55p
Jr.B.Liiga: 6g, 11p

Your talking about a different season I am referring to their draft -2 season aka the season which didnt get ruined by knee injuries for laine
Laine:
U-20 : 26+11=37 (40games)
U-18 : 5+6=11 (5games)
U17 WJC 12+5

Kakko:
U20 : 0+4=4 (7games)
U18 : 24+17=41(35games)
U17 WJC : Didnt play

People are really reaching if they consider Kakko to have been the better prospect than Laine when entering their draft seasons.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

I'd say Kakko is closer to 6'5" than he is to 6'2", the guy is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad