OT: Jack Hillen Retires

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Showed promise at time, never was the same after taking an Ovechkin slapshot to his head I think... small but he had heart and moved the puck decently when we had no dmen that could move the puck.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Showed promise at time, never was the same after taking an Ovechkin slapshot to his head I think... small but he had heart and moved the puck decently when we had no dmen that could move the puck.

I remember being at that game, sitting right behind the net when Hillen took that shot. Worst injury I have ever seen live in any sporting event. Scary stuff. Had a nice career for an undersized defenseman.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I remember being at that game, sitting right behind the net when Hillen took that shot. Worst injury I have ever seen live in any sporting event. Scary stuff. Had a nice career for an undersized defenseman.

Was at that game as well, we were on the other side of the ice, so did not see that magnitude, was also the turning point in the season, next day I think the wretched Dustin Kohn came up from the farm.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Was at that game as well, we were on the other side of the ice, so did not see that magnitude, was also the turning point in the season, next day I think the wretched Dustin Kohn came up from the farm.

Hillen squeezed what he could out of what he had. A lot like Olesky in that regard. Kohn on the other hand....

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
There is a nice little news article dated March 15, 2015 in the Washington post about when hillen was traded last season before the playoffs from Washington to Carolina. Just about how he was never traded before and did not know what to do after coach told him. Also how having 2 kids and a pregnant 7 month wife with their 3rd made moving everyone around tough. I don't know how to post links like you boys and girls do sorry. If someone posts it I will say thanks in advance. " thanks in advance"

He has the rest of his life now. He got to be a professional hockey player. How freaken cool is that.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Was a good soldier, I liked him. I was at the game he took the puck to the face, was really scary.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Was a good soldier, I liked him. I was at the game he took the puck to the face, was really scary.

yeah. screw anyone who goes negative here. jack hillen was a nobody prospect who came out of nowhere to make the team.it never ceases to amaze me the scorn posters here have for homegrown guys like hillen, campoli, gervais who grow up with the organization and fight their way into the lineup.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
yeah. screw anyone who goes negative here. jack hillen was a nobody prospect who came out of nowhere to make the team.it never ceases to amaze me the scorn posters here have for homegrown guys like hillen, campoli, gervais who grow up with the organization and fight their way into the lineup.

But the posts have been positive.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island

came in here to say this.....before the injury, he wasn't a bad #7dman

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC

It was painful even on TV. I was in attendance, however, for a Thrashers exhibition game when Vladimir Vujtek caught a skate blade in the face for something like 100-200 stitches.

Yitz

May 9, 2009

I hear what you're saying, and I'm sorry to derail the thread a bit here, but the Gervais hate is completely justified. That guy was so bad he could even ice the puck without it being intercepted at the blue line! I hope Chef Bruno is out of hockey and back in the kitchen where he belongs.

All that said...I really liked Jack Hillen when he was on the Isles, but as others have said he was never the same after taking an Ovechkin slapshot to the jaw. Best of luck Jack!

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
they have. it was more of a preemptive statement about how i expected people to react, based on other posts about hillen and similar guys. but im happy to be wrong.

Bruno Gervais deserves all the **** he gets. Guy was last decade's Brian Strait, in terms of somehow always being in the lineup despite being purely horrid

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Bruno Gervais deserves all the **** he gets. Guy was last decade's Brian Strait, in terms of somehow always being in the lineup despite being purely horrid

Bruno is 15th in all time games played by an islanders D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad