Player Discussion Jack Eichel - Switching from #15 to #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think the question becomes relevant why does he bother putting in the work to reach that next level if the team isn't close to a contender and he's already earned $80M. What does he gain?

Allegedly, it's his pride and will to be the best, which I've heard a lot about, but have seen very very little of.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Allegedly, it's his pride and will to be the best, which I've heard a lot about, but have seen very very little of.
I'm getting sick of the theatrical self-flagellation in post-game interviews. He's super good at saying how incredibly accountable and to blame he is. It's an elite feature of the entire team.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
He’s been really disappointing. Says the right things about leadership, but he also wants to be a pass first, second, third, and shoot fourth player.

A captain like Crosby is the guy who wants the puck at the last second because he has the killer instinct to score. Eichel doesn’t have it. Shoot, Matthews has that instinct in spades.

For Kane’s many faults, he had a poignant take on the team’s struggles—the team (Eichel) is playing too much on the perimeter, they need to be willing to take it to the net and crash the goalie. Kane has done that well and that’s one character trait that I wish would rub off on Eichel. It would turn him into a really difficult player to play against.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm getting sick of the theatrical self-flagellation in post-game interviews. He's super good at saying how incredibly accountable and to blame he is. It's an elite feature of the entire team.

I assumed you were talking about ROR. You're right it was an elite feature of the team led by Jack and ROR.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I assumed you were talking about ROR. You're right it was an elite feature of the team led by Jack and ROR.

It's true that ROR sounds even sorrier and more distressed when he gives these interviews, but I can't hold it against him as much, because for the most part, we've gotten three years of him playing to his full potential. He's a 60 point, 2-way center who plays a ton of minutes and takes tough defensive assignments. He self-flagellates whenever the team is losing because he expects himself to carry them or something, but on the list of guys who need to step the f*** up for this team to be competitive, he hardly rates.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Does Jack look slower to anyone else this year?

I don't notice him blowing by guys like he did in his rookie year.

Also he's not beating goalies from far out any more. In the last couple of years he'd be a threat to score from just about anywhere.

At times he looks like he's skating in mud. At other times he looks like his old self. So has O'Reilly and Okposo. It's due to coaching. The system is too complex or it's not being taught effectively. If you're not confident in what you should be doing, you can't do it at full speed.

Reactions: Chainshot

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
It's always "the coaching". People were excited about Housley.

Reality is, how many coaches can actually effectively coach a system? Something tells me they're not available. Give a new guy a shot, it doesn't work. Give a retread a shot, it doesn't work. What are the Sabres supposed to do?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Man, I'm starting to hate rooting for Jack Eichel. He's petulent and pouty and manages to come up small in big situations. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Jack succeeds in Buffalo.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I honestly wonder if Jack does his homework and study’s game film. He has so many things that can easily be corrected if just put in the work and attention to detail that other players around the league do.

His potential is still off the charts, he needs to put the work in to fulfill that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Man, I'm starting to hate rooting for Jack Eichel. He's petulent and pouty and manages to come up small in big situations. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Jack succeeds in Buffalo.

I just saw his "back-checking" on Carolina's first goal the other night. Avert your eyes. He should have been bag-skated for that.

Reactions: Aladyyn

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Well that needs to be another “please reconnect controller” meme. Someone please make one.

Jack needs a coach will balls who he’s scared of, I’m certain of that. Bylsma and Housley are pushovers. There’s zero chance he’d see the ice next PP after that with a coach like Tortorella.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well that needs to be another “please reconnect controller” meme. Someone please make one.

Jack needs a coach will balls who he’s scared of, I’m certain of that. Bylsma and Housley are pushovers. There’s zero chance he’d see the ice next PP after that with a coach like Tortorella.

He has 80 million reasons to not really care what any coach has to say.

He needs a coach that will show that lowlight on an endless loop and call him out in front of the team. Perhaps even yank the A off his jersey.

Maybe he has a little bit of pride left and that is the button that needs to get pushed.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I just saw his "back-checking" on Carolina's first goal the other night. Avert your eyes. He should have been bag-skated for that.

Franchise player my ass

Seriously.... put him on the wing with Criscuolo and Nolan.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
With the current state of the franchise.... if we hadn't signed Jack this year... and in the coming offseason someone offered him 80 million, would you take the 4 first rounders, and actually go in to a tear down/rebuild?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Franchise player my ass

Franchise player my ass

Franchise player? Nah he’s a generational player lol.

The kids talent is just filthy and off the charts, but he hasn’t earned a quarter of what this franchise has given him. He’s not held accountable for anything, he can literally do ANYTHING he wants and will get away with it. It’s honestly a joke and I wanna break my TV every time Jack makes a line change by coasting half the ice to the bench like a beer leaguer. This kid needs to get off his high horse and and learn how to be a pro. I honestly wonder if he even watches hockey, because if he does there’s no way he can think some of the things he does are acceptable. There’s no reason this kid shouldn’t be a legit elite centermen in year 3 with his speed, shot, size and skill.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
With the current state of the franchise.... if we hadn't signed Jack this year... and in the coming offseason someone offered him 80 million, would you take the 4 first rounders, and actually go in to a tear down/rebuild?

Yes.

As long as that meant Terry and his fandom were gone as well.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
One of Jack's biggest issue IMO is conditioning. He looks strong as an ox out there along the walls, but I think he forgot about the cardio this offseason.

I think if he gets his conditioning right (and use that damn speed man), it will improve his confidence big time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I think we need a retweet storm tagging Eichel in that clip.

If the Pegulas won't hold him accountable for crappy effort...

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

That was bad but I think this was even worse. Saw it when it happened but kinda forgot about after the game til I just saw it on the main boards a little bit ago. Minute left, empty net, pushing for a tying goal vs carolina. Eichel just... gives up?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That was bad but I think this was even worse. Saw it when it happened but kinda forgot about after the game til I just saw it on the main boards a little bit ago. Minute left, empty net, pushing for a tying goal vs carolina. Eichel just... gives up?

He has had about one of these per game this year. You don’t have to look too hard to find them.

And I’m reading about how awesome he was last night all over Twitter

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He stepped onto the ice with 2:46 left in the game and played the rest of the game. He was just shy of 2mins into that shift at the time of that play. I'm guessing he was tired as opposed to a lazy pos that quit on the play.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

It's who he is....

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
He stepped onto the ice with 2:46 left in the game and played the rest of the game. He was just shy of 2mins into that shift at the time of that play.
How long was the Carolina player that got the puck on the ice for?

I figured it was probably at the end of a long shift for eichel but that's still not really acceptable when the games on the line. Whatever happened to leaving it all on the ice?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think we need a retweet storm tagging Eichel in that clip.

If the Pegulas won't hold him accountable for crappy effort...

He had just played the entire 2min PP at the time of the first Canes goal. He quite clearly looks exhausted and would be viewed that way if a few folks weren't out for blood

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How long was the Carolina player that got the puck on the ice for?

I figured it was probably at the end of a long shift for eichel but that's still not really acceptable when the games on the line. Whatever happened to leaving it all on the ice?

Carolina or Columbus?

I was talking about the end of the Columbus game. So I screwed up. In that situation (the screenshot with :52.9 secs left) he was at the end of a 1:14 shift.

He needs better and more consistent effort. No argument from me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad