Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

Bowski

I don't order fries with my club sandwich.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Jack Edwards play calling his team choking a 3 - 0 lead in a series where the bruins choked a 3 - 0 series (2:58)

Vs

former Penguins announcer Mike Lange play calling a wild regular season game where the other team ties it 7 - 7 (4:03)

Who sounds more like a homer?

Edwards was vastly overhated because he's made a couple of outrageously homer comments, he was an excellent pbp announce otherwise.

Please do yourself a favour and look up some more footage of the actual legendary Mike Lange on YouTube before spouting off.

Paul Steigerwald is one of the worst announcers and people in general (Hobey Baker "joke") of all time, who somehow keeps failing upwards in the Penguins organization's media department.

Using him as an example says something about the qualities of the comparative.

Wishing Edwards good health and a comfy retirement, but more than happy to see the dweeb at the bus stop finally leave the airwaves.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jack Edwards play calling his team choking a 3 - 0 lead in a series where the bruins choked a 3 - 0 series (2:58)

Vs

former Penguins announcer Mike Lange play calling a wild regular season game where the other team ties it 7 - 7 (4:03)

Who sounds more like a homer?

Edwards was vastly overhated because he's made a couple of outrageously homer comments, he was an excellent pbp announce otherwise.

Absolutely fantastic A+ illustration right here. This is why I enjoyed Edwards.

That said, that's Steigerwald, not Lange.

EDIT: Here, this might help you recognize the contrast. This is a Mike Lange call:

This is a Paul Steigerwald call:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Please do yourself a favour and look up some more footage of the actual legendary Mike Lange on YouTube before spouting off.

Paul Steigerwald is one of the worst announcers and people in general (Hobey Baker "joke") of all time, who somehow keeps failing upwards in the Penguins organization's media department.

Using him as an example says something about the qualities of the comparative.

Wishing Edwards good health and a comfy retirement, but more than happy to see the dweeb at the bus stop finally leave the airwaves.
Still fits because there's folks in this thread putting Steigerwald and Edwards in the same company and it's clearly bullshit.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Jack's struggles were apparent during Game 1 Saturday night

It appears Alex Faust will replace Edwards on NESN.
i was watching some of that and it was a really hard listen tbh, feel bad for the guy being trotted out there and struggling so badly. probably his own choice ultimately but man..

faust was the kings pbp guy for a while, he's as generic and bland as they come but he can call a really good game if he stays on topic. his biggest problem in LA imo was getting into chit chat sessions and trading inside jokes with jim fox while live instead of calling the game, maybe that won't be a problem in boston

Reactions: theMajor

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
He was a Masshole but legit one of the better PBPs in the NHL. The hate he got was overblown IMO. He was never as bad as the Avalanche homers for example, he'd get excited for other teams scoring too.

Hopefully he's okay and no serious health issues are plauging him.
I don’t think so, he was born and raised near Chicago. Went to college at Univ of New Hampshire became their hockey team’s PBP guy than moved to Boston and joined WCVB after a few radio gigs.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
These days, that's every announcer's biggest problem, except oddly enough, Jack Edwards.
Yup! One of the reasons I loved Rick Jeanneret so much was because he would call the game and even go so far as to keep the color guys quiet until a break in the play. It made for such an enjoyable watch where I was purely focused on the game on the ice with the pxp doing what it should be doing in keeping the players/puck aurally in my head while visually I tracked the game. The cohesion was perfect and made for an immersive experience.

I always hated games on OLN/Versus/national TV because those announcers would randomly decide when to call the play and when to talk about background stats. I could never figure out when they deemed calling the play important and when background stuff took precedence. I don't think they knew either.

Seemed like a while ago more broadcasts were like RJ and fewer were like national, but now that seems to have switched. I hate it.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
“Rechlicz! Being wreckless! With his face! Oh, he’s assaulting Lucic’s knuckles with his nose!”

Think he called this one a bit biased and lopsided but it was a hilarious call nonetheless.

A bit?
That is full on cult level of delusion.
Which is par for the course considering who it is.
Good riddance. Bruins broadcast should be pretty good starting next year

Sep 19, 2008
he was always broadcasting to bruins fans back before everyone could watch out of market on the internet. his bias peeved many but his main audience resided in new England.

was he a legend nationally no. he was biased but he also got just as excited when the other team scored.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Could you imagine anyone listening to someone like Johnny Most in this day and age?

Holy Mother of Moses, there wouldn’t be enough fainting couches on planet earth to catch everyone’s fall.
Most makes Edwards or Tommy Heinsohn sound like the most impartial down the middle broadcasters to ever do it

Reactions: Barnum

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

He made a joke about something that happened almost 100 years previous. Go ahead and call it questionable taste for the sake of making that joke during a live NHL game, it's far from the worst thing I've ever heard during a hockey game but I suppose the "time and a place" argument exists, but "worst people in general" by citing that joke? Give me a break.

Bowski

I don't order fries with my club sandwich.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
He made a joke about something that happened almost 100 years previous. Go ahead and call it questionable taste for the sake of making that joke during a live NHL game, it's far from the worst thing I've ever heard during a hockey game but I suppose the "time and a place" argument exists, but "worst people in general" by citing that joke? Give me a break.
Sorry Dr. Steigerwald, hope you and any loved ones never "go down real hard" with any kind of terminal disease or fatal accident so that a marble-mouthed clown gets to make fun of it almost 100 years from now.

Last edited:

broc

Dec 20, 2010
This guy was worth a laugh I guess but it wears thin pretty quick

He is like the bernmeister of broadcasting… just total homer. I wish him well..

Reactions: xVolchenkov

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Wow, just WOW

Edwards last words are calling ref Steve Kozari a coward.

This is the official that was taken off the ice on a stretcher a few weeks ago

The game will be better off without this POS in it

Kozari was exactly that. Well done Jack!

Takes the Bruins two best PKers off the ice after a typical playoff scrum, races off the ice and leaves partner to deflect the Bruins bench. After a tantrum at Marchand and another Bruin post scrum.

Kozari was lost. Clueless last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad