Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don’t like the guy’s homerism when commenting but I do feel bad for him.

Just heard him calling the Boston game last night and didn’t realize his speech got so bad. I hope he’s able to sort out his health.

Reactions: geebster

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is a great example and is something his haters should probably come to terms with. Playoffs, game 6, against a hated rival, and in the first minute of the video he excitedly calls (and praises the plays) of the opponent twice: Price's save, and Higgins' goal.

Guy just loves the game. It was time, but his peak was long and outstanding.

He was definitely excitable, and he loves his bruins. I remember one play where hamrlik went down and he intensely told him to get up. I think it's those types of calls that set him apart from other extreme cheerleader play by play types.

I also remember when a Bruin player ran a flyer player into the boards, and the flyer fans were looking for a call, and edwards turned into an evil boss from an old cartoon and started laughing hysterically.

He was definitely talented, but he was also over the top. I don't know if edwards likes wwe, but I always thought he ticked alot of boxes to be a legend in that role.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
He was definitely excitable, and he loves his bruins. I remember one play where hamrlik went down and he intensely told him to get up. I think it's those types of calls that set him apart from other extreme cheerleader play by play types.

I also remember when a Bruin player ran a flyer player into the boards, and the flyer fans were looking for a call, and edwards turned into an evil boss from an old cartoon and started laughing hysterically.

He was definitely talented, but he was also over the top. I don't know if edwards likes wwe, but I always thought he ticked alot of boxes to be a legend in that role.
He was too much many times, that is for sure. He 100% got caught up in the game. But he loved Hockey more than he loved the Bruins. And he was outstanding at his craft.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I truly hated his calls as a Penguins fan, some stuff what he said about injured players and so on, but I still wish him the best. There ain't many people who love the game more than he does.

His passion for hockey and Boston is f***ing awesome. It's a beautiful city.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
He was a Masshole but legit one of the better PBPs in the NHL. The hate he got was overblown IMO. He was never as bad as the Avalanche homers for example, he'd get excited for other teams scoring too.

Hopefully he's okay and no serious health issues are plauging him.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
He and Steigy for the pens the worst play by play to ever listen too and im talking about play by play not color because i am no fan of butch goring, enjoy retirement i guess.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack's struggles were apparent during Game 1 Saturday night

Jack was a homer and freely admitted it. He was influenced by perhaps the biggest homer of all time the Celtics Johnny Most

Boston has been blessed with some of the greatest hockey voices in NHL history. Nobody can question the greatness of Fred Cusick and Bob Wilson and they were homers. Wilson could also be sarcastic.

When Bob passed - Kevin Paul Dupont wrote in the Globe

In this context, I often think of a night in the old Montreal Forum years ago, when my assigned seat in the press box was elbow to elbow with Wilson’s broadcast position. Everyone sat in Kraft-like highchairs up there, along a kitchen countertop-like ledge. On this particular night, the Bruins were on the verge, yet again, of getting drummed out of the playoffs by the Habs.

Wilson’s pregame setup for the radio audience that night was pay-per-listen gold. He was disgusted. In full throat, he noted the Black and Gold’s painful inability to score, while the Habs, yet again, pumped in goals at will. Nothing, Wilson made clear, could stop Les Glorieux now. He rolled through the names of the Habs’ scorers, particularly emphasizing the names of the French-Canadian players, summoning the ghosts of the Flying Frenchmen. His voice was one of painful resignation.

“And who do the Bruins counter with, but . . . ”
Wilson bellowed into the mike as he read the night’s roster changes, “Lyndon Byers! . . . who couldn’t put the puck in the ocean if he was standing at the end of the DOCK!’’

Very few clips of Wilson survived as WBZ radio erased all the tapes

But he was good

It appears Alex Faust will replace Edwards on NESN.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Edwards, despite his homerism, was a great PbP guy.

It is sad that this happened to him.
He might have been a great golf, or baseball pbp guy. Personally, I feel bored watching his games. I think he's in the vein of guys who trained to be American sports broadcasters for baseball, basketball, golf, etc, who wound up in Hockey for whatever reason, and he's missing something fundamental about calling hockey. His formula of calling the play is more like golf to me.
I hope he finds health though.

Dradavich

Nov 29, 2019
Canada
Jack Edwards play calling his team choking a 3 - 0 lead in a series where the bruins choked a 3 - 0 series (2:58)

Vs

former Penguins announcer Mike Lange play calling a wild regular season game where the other team ties it 7 - 7 (4:03)

Who sounds more like a homer?

Edwards was vastly overhated because he's made a couple of outrageously homer comments, he was an excellent pbp announce otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: Viqsi

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

Lol yes, Hamrlik got pulverized and, if memory serves, didn’t even stay down for half a second

“Hamrlik goes down as if shot…GET UP!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad