J. Tavares vs B. Point

Who do you take going forward including contracts?

• JT

• BP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's hard to take contract into account when Point has 1 year left.

JT is likely the better player for a few years. Point will by far be the better value of play/points vs cap hit.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Let’s keep age away from this because that doesn’t really matter considering skill sets.

Tavares is a top 10 Center in this league. Point won’t be a top 10 Center most likely in his entire career.

I’ll take Tavares any day of the week at any contract. Tavares is a game changer. Point is not a game changer.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It's hard to take contract into account when Point has 1 year left.

JT is likely the better player for a few years. Point will by far be the better value of play/points vs cap hit.

This pretty much sums it up. Tavares is the more dominant offensive force, but Point’s two-way play, cheaper cap hit, and younger age have me going with him. Plus the kid is just a winner, plays with a maturity beyond his years, and has a nonstop motor and a knack for game-winning goals. Tavares will put up flashier numbers but Point will win more championships.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
One is a superstar the other is a very good young player. It is not a difficult choice.
Moving forward? Yes it is. Tavares is a slow player in a rapidly evolving game reliant on speed and skill. Will be interesting if Tavares doesnt regress by age 31. I dont expect him to but if he does that 11M AAV will be brutal. Plus bolts always sign their players cheap.
But yeah point will never be nearly as good as tavares.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
One is a superstar the other is a very good young player. It is not a difficult choice.

Ya really. Superstar talent costs a lot of money and aren't usually cap friendly, but it's what puts teams over the top. Point's a very good player, but until he gets anywhere close to the level of Tavares these are two strange players to compare. It's like comparing Doughty with Montour.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Moving forward? Yes it is. Tavares is a slow player in a rapidly evolving game reliant on speed and skill. Will be interesting if Tavares doesnt regress by age 31. I dont expect him to but if he does that 11M AAV will be brutal. Plus bolts always sign their players cheap.
I wouldn't exactly call Tavares slow, but his speed is certainly not elite. I know since he has become a Leaf there is talk about regression. Like you I don't believe it is likely. However, we can say if for any player, For example if Connor McDavid has an injury that he never fully recovers from and can only play at half his current level his AVV will be brutal. But, I wouldn't wish that on anyone , player or not, but we can say that for anyone who doesn't live up to their contract.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'm of the opinion that if your a superstar level player, it doesn't really matter too much as long as the cap-hit isn't inordinately high (which it isn't). It's when you get to tiers lower than that, it becomes a problem and valuation becomes a more important problem.

You build around superstars, then fill the roster accordingly.

Point may provide better value....at some point down the line. But he's a high-end guy you use to fill out a roster. Unless Point becomes a legitimate star player and can handle the brunt of the usage that Tavares has shown up to this stage of his career, which I don't deny he has the upside to be one day, you can't really go with him in this instance.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I'm fairly certain that JT will not be playing on a line alone. It also helps that on the Leafs he will never be expected to put the team on his back. The Leafs have speed to burn and can easily make up for if and when JT loses a step.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Right now, moving forward, I take Point. For salary alone, I have to.
Youth, skill, contract are all really good for the team.

Points first full 82 games season, he scored 12 more points than Tavares first full 82 game season. This kid is no slouch. He has 5 less career playoff points than JT in 8 less games.

I like JT and he will do well in Toronto, but I think Point could be a superstar in the making.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
OP said including contract so no brainer for me Point. He's not getting much more then 6 next contract but will put up similar numbers to Tavares. Tavares will out produce him but not worth the extra 4-5 million he'll get paid.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Little different when Doughty is a top 3 Dman and Tavares is not a top 3 forward.

Reality is, Point just posted a season very similar to 2 of the last 3 seasons that Tavares has had. And right now, is 1/10th the cap hit.

Hahah well Tavares was the 4th best C in the league until July 1

Point has a 40 pt and 66 pt season. How in the world does he compare to Tavares.

Rielly to doughty is closer

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
This pretty much sums it up. Tavares is the more dominant offensive force, but Point’s two-way play, cheaper cap hit, and younger age have me going with him. Plus the kid is just a winner, plays with a maturity beyond his years, and has a nonstop motor and a knack for game-winning goals. Tavares will put up flashier numbers but Point will win more championships.

Not sure that Point is leaps and bounds a winner on the "plays more of a two-way game". Tavares plays a very sound two way game (you couldn't say that when he entered the league, but now he is better now) and unlike Point, Tavares hasn't had the liberties of playing for a good team, with good management...heck not even a proper arena to really play in.

Tavares is a superstar and a game changer - Point at this stage in his career is not (albeit Point is a very good hockey player and any team would love to have him) but he isn't Tavares.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You never really count out a guy with a motor like Brayden Point, but his next contract is going to be much closer to Tavares than whatever he's making now. And Tavares is a blue chip superstar in the middle of his prime, about 5 years older than Point. I'm happy with Tavares.

Reactions: WWB

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Honestly torn. I agree that you need to build around a superstar, and SJ needs a superstar forward. Point brings everything you could ask for though. Leaning towards the guy who has proven he can carry a franchise though.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad