Player Discussion: J.T. Brown

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't get the obsession with JAM. He's a minor league scorer that's never put it together in the big leagues. JT Brown fills a fantastic role for us that JAM can't replicate.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Brown's had a very solid year. Up until the last few games, he was sitting at a +12 and was one of our better PK'ers. Is he ever going to be an offensive stud? No. But he is a solid player that plays every shift like his last, gets the puck out of the zone, and just plays smart hockey.

I'll be curious to see if we trade him this year, or give him a 2-3 year extension. I think he makes this team better, but I know not everyone agrees with me there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Screw it. Put him on a top line.

Names-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Brown

This might not be a bad time to recreate the AHL terror that was Brown-Namestnikov-Kucherov. Let Stamkos play wing with Johnson and Palat.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Brown's had a very solid year. Up until the last few games, he was sitting at a +12 and was one of our better PK'ers. Is he ever going to be an offensive stud? No. But he is a solid player that plays every shift like his last, gets the puck out of the zone, and just plays smart hockey.

I'll be curious to see if we trade him this year, or give him a 2-3 year extension. I think he makes this team better, but I know not everyone agrees with me there.

I hope he gets another deal, he has a role and a place on this team IMO. Give him a 2 year one and look what happens, I doubt he getsmuch more than 1,5m anyways, so we ain't lose much if he ****s up.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I hope he gets another deal, he has a role and a place on this team IMO. Give him a 2 year one and look what happens, I doubt he getsmuch more than 1,5m anyways, so we ain't lose much if he ****s up.

I think we could give him some term without hitting the cap too hard. At worst he'll be a fast energy guy for several more years, at best maybe a Komarov-lite. :dunno:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I prefer my boy, paquette. Wish he would get time on a top line over brown.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
May you someday be presented with an opportunity notable enough for randos to shit on.
He's a bit stiff in his intro video, although he's normally pretty comfortable on camera. He's also very fresh off retirement, so they're banking on his being a natural over experience.

There's an intentionality with having the stakes of a new NHL team, and hiring a complete newbie for the TV color commentator role that concerns me.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He's a bit stiff in his intro video, although he's normally pretty comfortable on camera. He's also very fresh off retirement, so they're banking on his being a natural over experience.

There's an intentionality with having the stakes of a new NHL team, and hiring a complete newbie for the TV color commentator role that concerns me.

Concerned about what exactly? The job is to sit their and take about hockey, there are a hundred different ways to be good at it or bad at it.

Seattle obviously thinks he's good at it, or they wouldn't have hired him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

He’s got some broadcasting experience from Twitch! :sarcasm:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Concerned about what exactly? The job is to sit their and take about hockey, there are a hundred different ways to be good at it or bad at it.

Seattle obviously thinks he's good at it, or they wouldn't have hired him.
NBC thinks they've got good on-air personalities too.

It feels rushed. They could put him on the intermission panel, or do color on the radio (which would be the first all-POC NHL radio tandem in history I'm pretty sure), in order to make sure he's got his legs. Brown is changing careers and going straight to the top. Seems risky.

Reactions: berlin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't get the obsession with JAM. He's a minor league scorer that's never put it together in the big leagues. JT Brown fills a fantastic role for us that JAM can't replicate.

One can be forgiven for saying this at the time. And you know what? Despite it playing out differently, I don't miss JAM even a little. Brown knew when to get out and he's probably gonna be really good with Seattle. JAM on the other hand becomes successful and turns into a bitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad