Line Combos: J. Moore-Mcilrath

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Am i the only one who think they together would have been more than good enough bottom pairing?
I seriously dont get why Mcilrath gets so few minutes and why we let Moore go. I understand he was a part of the Yandle trade but they let him go aswell so highly doubt they got him in that trade because they wanted him, more because AV wanted to get rid of him... I hated it the moment we got rid of him and i hate it even moore now...
Yandle-Mcilrath pair last season was maybe the best pair we had the whole year when they got to play together. How Girardi and Boyle got played before him and even Diaz getting called up in the playoffs instead of playing Mcilrath is just crazy imo. I also dont understand why Mcilrath seems to wanna fight someone every time he plays. If he was told to focus on playing hard etc and not look for fights all the time he would be very effective imo. Seems like he almost thinks he have to fight to show AV that he should be in the lineup. If he focused on just playing his games he would be very effective(which he proved with Yandle), cheap and he has tons of upside.
Both are solid and good at what they do. They would also both be very cheap which is important for a team like NYR who always are up against the cap. I might be the only one but trading for Holden who imo is worse than Moore makes me think about how many weird decisions our GM has done he last 3-4 years.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
McI should be with someone that will be able to cover for his rookie mistakes, so I don't think Moore would be that guy.

Yandle was a vet and has worked with Rookies before, so he was a good mentor. Someone like Staal/Klein/McD should be with him next season. Don't put Skjei with him either, I want him with a vet too.

I'd like to see by midseason(ignoring sides):

McD - Skjei
Klein - McI/Staal
Staal/McI- Girardi/Holden

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Am i the only one who think they together would have been more than good enough bottom pairing?
I seriously dont get why Mcilrath gets so few minutes and why we let Moore go. I understand he was a part of the Yandle trade but they let him go aswell so highly doubt they got him in that trade because they wanted him, more because AV wanted to get rid of him... I hated it the moment we got rid of him and i hate it even moore now...
Yandle-Mcilrath pair last season was maybe the best pair we had the whole year when they got to play together. How Girardi and Boyle got played before him and even Diaz getting called up in the playoffs instead of playing Mcilrath is just crazy imo. I also dont understand why Mcilrath seems to wanna fight someone every time he plays. If he was told to focus on playing hard etc and not look for fights all the time he would be very effective imo. Seems like he almost thinks he have to fight to show AV that he should be in the lineup. If he focused on just playing his games he would be very effective(which he proved with Yandle), cheap and he has tons of upside.
Both are solid and good at what they do. They would also both be very cheap which is important for a team like NYR who always are up against the cap. I might be the only one but trading for Holden who imo is worse than Moore makes me think about how many weird decisions our GM has done he last 3-4 years.

McIlrath had 4 fights last season within a 3-month span according to hockeyfights. Don't think that qualifies as "always looking to fight". Maybe if he got more consistent ice time instead of sitting for walking corpses or getting thrown in as a forward he could have found a more consistent groove to his game.

All I remember about JMoore is that he sucked. Pretty sure we're fine without him, and without seeing a McIlrath-JMoore pair.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
McIlrath had 4 fights last season within a 3-month span according to hockeyfights. Don't think that qualifies as "always looking to fight". Maybe if he got more consistent ice time instead of sitting for walking corpses or getting thrown in as a forward he could have found a more consistent groove to his game.

All I remember about JMoore is that he sucked. Pretty sure we're fine without him, and without seeing a McIlrath-JMoore pair.

I do not remember Dylan looking to fight at all. He had a fight defending Stepan. He had a fight defending McD. He had a fight with Schen after Schen jumped him for laying out Schultz with a clean check.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I do not remember Dylan looking to fight at all. He had a fight defending Stepan. He had a fight defending McD. He had a fight with Schen after Schen jumped him for laying out Schultz with a clean check.

Exactly, and there's nothing wrong with fights like that. He actually had the balls to step up and defend his teammates, and the Schenn fight was a result of McIlrath absolutely destroying Nick Schultz.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Aren't most coaches weird about putting two young defensemen together? John Moore is a guy who will still profile as a "young defenseman" when he's 29 and on his 6th team because of his huge tools/hockey IQ gap. I liked him, but not enough to miss him that much.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't know if Moore - McIlrath should be the question but I do wonder if any of the Dmen we signed are better than John Moore. I wish we kept Moore.

KreiderHouseRules*

McI should be with someone that will be able to cover for his rookie mistakes, so I don't think Moore would be that guy.

Yandle was a vet and has worked with Rookies before, so he was a good mentor. Someone like Staal/Klein/McD should be with him next season. Don't put Skjei with him either, I want him with a vet too.

I'd like to see by midseason(ignoring sides):

McD - Skjei
Klein - McI/Staal
Staal/McI- Girardi/Holden

If one was a lefty or could play the left side, STRALMAN would've been a great partner for McIlrath.

McIlrath's strengths are physicality, mean streak/toughness, and perhaps blasting the puck. He's said he wants to model his game after Shea Weber.

He's definitely improved at handling the puck and making a good first pass, or passing in general, but because he's not the greatest skater, he'd be best paired with a guy who has the mobility and wheels to simply skate the puck out of trouble.

I like the idea of a MAC TRUCK PAIRING.

McD-McI
Skjei-Klein
Staal-Holden

Having Girardi really screws the whole thing up:

- You can't pair him with Staal because that would be a nightmare since neither can skate or provide offense, and when they're not hemmed in their own zone and making turnovers, they're chipping the puck back to the other team in the neutral zone

- If you pair him with Girardi, it limits McDonagh's freedom to join the rush because we don't want Girardi as the one man back; not to mention it keeps McDonagh hemmed in his own zone more often because Girardi can't ever seem to handle or make a clean pass.

- If Girardi MUST play, perhaps pairing him with Skjei isn't the worst. At least he can skate the puck out of trouble and make a good pass. The downside is, he likely ends up spending more time in his own zone trying to cover for Girardi's mistakes instead of ideally having Skjei with someone who can cover his[/] rookie mistakes.

It just really sucks that Girardi is still on his team. F you, NHL buyout structure. F you Glen Sather.

I have a feeling Klein's going to be traded because of it (along with the fact that his value will never be higher and RD's that can log minutes are in extremely high demand right now).

It's either Klein or McIlrath as the odd man out, which is a travesty since Girardi deserves to be shipped to Vancouver or Edmonton or....Siberia.

The only other option, since we have a little cap-space, is to keep everyone, rotate Girardi/McIlrath in and out of the lineup depending on who's playing poorly at the time (yet I have zero confidence in AV to make that right decision since he benched McIlrath after his best month and a half in favor of a one-legged Girardi who was NOT healed, and couldn't even skate.) It really sucks for McIlrath's development if they go that route: how can you expect a player to progress if he's constantly yanked back and forth and roster spots aren't based on merit, but on "doing the right thing" aka AV plays his veterans no matter what.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
You know boredom has taken over when people are waxing nostalgic about somebody as awful as Johnny Moore. Lets bring back Corey Potter too!

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

While we're at it; MDZ-Mcilrath, that would've been more interesting!

Id feel pretty good about a Moore/McIlrath 3rd pairing. For that matter, Id feel okay about an MDZ/Skjei second pairing.

McDonagh/Klein
MDZ/Skjei
Moore/McIlrath

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Why do Ranger fans pine for guys who are gone and are so marginal. John Moore really ? He is not good. Why dont we just see what Paul Mara is up to these days ?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
John Moore sucks.

He looked as lost as MDZ did with NY, it was time for him to go.

Why do Ranger fans pine for guys who are gone and are so marginal. John Moore really ? He is not good. Why dont we just see what Paul Mara is up to these days ?
Because that's the Ranger Fan way, we hate the mediocre guys while they're here (cough Roszival, cough Girardi) then we pine for them when they're gone, especially if they were never in the hot seat in NY.

It is what it is and it's the NHL off season when we're all hockey starved.

Jason Strudwick ftw!
Stu Bickel signed a PTO with the Ducks....c'mon Gorto!

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
John Moore was OK for us. Ovechkin absolutely embarrassed him last year and unfortunately that's how I remember him now.

The biggest travesty in regards to him was MSG doing a Beginnings episode on him. Like, why?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
He looked as lost as MDZ did with NY, it was time for him to go.

Because that's the Ranger Fan way, we hate the mediocre guys while they're here (cough Roszival, cough Girardi) then we pine for them when they're gone, especially if they were never in the hot seat in NY.

It is what it is and it's the NHL off season when we're all hockey starved.

Stu Bickel signed a PTO with the Ducks....c'mon Gorto!

I would do it purely for the sad Stu gifs again lol :laugh:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think it's just revisionist history here.

Go back and watch all of the playoff OT loses the Rangers had during Moore's time here... There's like 6 of them.

Go watch who was on the ice... Look at the guy that was soft and missed his check...

You'll see John Moore. Rangers were not going into the playoffs with him in 2015 after that.

He's a nice guy but very sensitive, his teammates on the Rangers would consistently mess with him. Zucc and Brass had their fun with the guy.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I think it's just revisionist history here.

Go back and watch all of the playoff OT loses the Rangers had during Moore's time here... There's like 6 of them.

Go watch who was on the ice... Look at the guy that was soft and missed his check...

You'll see John Moore. Rangers were not going into the playoffs with him in 2015 after that.

He's a nice guy but very sensitive, his teammates on the Rangers would consistently mess with him. Zucc and Brass had their fun with the guy.
Even at the time, people ponderously liked John Moore. I think it was his speed. People mistook that for talent.

The fact is, John Moore is an offensive minded D-Man, who doesn't put up points, can't make a good first pass, and has only had one year where his possession numbers weren't abysmal. I don't know what it is he is supposed to do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad