IX. General Stars Talk Always Lands on its Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I saw you :laugh:

Still, somebody needs to tell the people at NHL.com that we expect better than that kind of crap. It's the same thing with game highlights. What good does it do to have high quality video only to degrade it by stretching the picture vertically. :rant:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Really odd this morning ....

10% of Dallas' season just went 1-7-0 with the one win against arguably the worst team of the past 5 seasons in the NHL.

These next 11 games into the Olympic break are brutal. We have 2 back to backs, only the two games against the Predators and Hurricane are in a similar or worse position than the Stars, the two games against the Yotes and one against the Devils are against teams in striking distance of the playoffs, and the other 6 are playoff teams fighting for position and to hold off teams behind them.

An optimistic person would say these two games against the Wild, two against the Coyotes, and one against Nashville are huge opportunities. Optimism has taken a hit lately ...

MetalGodAOD*

Despite it all, we definitely still control our own destiny. Unfortunately we probably have to win both games against the Wild and the Coyotes to have chance, but it's still doable. Losing streams to the East don't hurt quite as much, if they can pull their **** together. I don't have a lot of faith right now either though.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
Saw Val Nichushkin on a DART bus earlier today. Good to see.

Edit: on the side of the bus. Not actually Val himself riding.

Last edited:

Al Core

May 21, 2011
Illinois
Hope he didn't wreck this.

Edit: Posted this before your edit. I suck!

c82f62286cf911e395010a50c7b90523_8.jpg

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701171

A superb read from Sturm. Sums up pretty well what the problems are with what we have on the ice. A team that's run out of time to start to turn things around and have been easily shut down by a majority of good teams around the league.

We're not losers so we're not going to sell without making a push back, I think. But I think we need to sell a bit now to get the healthy assets out before the Olympic break. Give them some time to mesh with their new clubs.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I had no idea that Curtis MacKenzie was absolutely tearing up the AHL in his rookie year. Impressive.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I had no idea that Curtis MacKenzie was absolutely tearing up the AHL in his rookie year. Impressive.

yeah but just keep in mind he's playing on a line with the Sidney Crosby and the Evgeni Malkin of the AHL. Morin and Sceviour probably spend 80% of their time in the opposition end when they are on the ice, so it's not surprising that if you're out there with them you might end up on the scoresheet more often than usual.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
yeah but just keep in mind he's playing on a line with the Sidney Crosby and the Evgeni Malkin of the AHL. Morin and Sceviour probably spend 80% of their time in the opposition end when they are on the ice, so it's not surprising that if you're out there with them you might end up on the scoresheet more often than usual.

Being the Kunitz of the AHL ain't bad.

Seriously though ... he's also older than most AHL rookies. Not saying that to be negative or anything, but most prospects join the AHL in their 20 year old season. He enters the AHL 4 years after being drafted, and he'll turn 23 years old by the end of the season.

He's proven though he deserves a shot very soon on a depth line in the NHL. Obviously a more deserving man in Sceviour must get a real spot first, but I'd elevate McKenzie over Glennie (both drafted in 2009) as the next young guy up.

Peters honestly may have passed Glennie, but that likely comes down to if he's healthy or not. Peters though, you won't see his value on the stat sheet most nights. The guys is a very good defensive pivot, solid on faceoffs, and he's got a good body for the center position. Seems unimportant on most teams, but I think Dallas has an excellent future 4th line center. On Dallas, that matters with how much Ruff plays them. You'll be able to control his cost for a while as well since he's only turning 22 years old, IIRC.

aloonda*

let's move the deadwood out of the damn way and let the younguns see if they can cut it at the big boy level

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Our season SEEMS to have gone south after the "let's play for Robi!!" wore out..

Goligoski has to be the scratch tomorrow, I mean there's no other way.. If this doesn't happen, then I'm starting to doubt Ruff co. for the first time. It isn't fair to Jordie or any other D-man that his every big mistake is punished by taking him out and this other guy who makes more money gets unlimited time to try and get himself going..

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Our season SEEMS to have gone south after the "let's play for Robi!!" wore out..

Goligoski has to be the scratch tomorrow, I mean there's no other way.. If this doesn't happen, then I'm starting to doubt Ruff co. for the first time. It isn't fair to Jordie or any other D-man that his every big mistake is punished by taking him out and this other guy who makes more money gets unlimited time to try and get himself going..

Ruff frigging praises Goligoski, he's not going to scratch him...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Seems like the nosedive coincided with Daley's return. Close to it, at least.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I really am happy to see what the team did last night. It was definitely unexpected after such a pathetic effort in Nashville in an equally important game.

The 4 point swing pretty much keeps them in playoff contention, but hope is still close to lost even if you're the most optimistic person.

During a 15 game stretch in December, Dallas went 8-3-4 to make up 6 points on 9th place, and for about 15 minutes New Year's Eve night they were in 8th place.

The reason last night was huge is that 7 points out, rather than 11, is huge with 12 games remaining before the deadline. It gets dicey though ... 5 of those games are against teams in the Top 3 in their division, with the exception of Tampa Bay, you'd consider 4 among the best teams in hockey. 6 games are against teams in a Wild Card spot or just 4 points out. Only Buffalo, is a team totally out of contention. I'd say the Wild Card games are going to be more fierce and dire than any of the other games.

The other plus is Dallas really only needs to gain 3 or 4 points over 12 games to stay withing striking distance of 8th. December Dallas played over their heads, and they're obviously not as bad as they've been. In reality ... they're a team that's barely staying over .500 likely. Can that stay and play above .500 for an extended period of time ... not just up to the playoffs, but also beyond? I have some serious doubts, but it's not impossible.

At this point, I'll be pretty disappointed if Dallas doesn't at least move Robidas (should be healthy before the deadline) and Whitney. Robidas adds value to the team sure, but they're already learning to get use to him not being around. It's time to move on ... Robidas essentially confirmed that about wanting to pursue a Cup, and Dallas should grant that wish and add some assets.

If they're 2 or 3 points back after the next 12 games, I could see them holding onto Fiddler. They don't exactly have a guy to step in for him like they do Whitney and Robidas. That said, I think the smart play would be to dump him, especially if the value is as high as some are reporting.

Regardless ... I think we'll still see some sort of sell off no matter what happens moving forward, and at the very least it will be 2 or 3 of these 3 names.

I'd still like to see them go a bit bigger on the sell off, but Cole is probably staying at this point. He's playing too well, and he fits their style. My guess is he's played his way on the next year's team at this point with Nill knowing he could potentially move him next season.

I wonder though ... if they can do the unlikely and gain back enough ground ... if Nill will push any major defensive changes off until the summer.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
We have a 20% chance of making the POs.

It's not going to happen because this was a 1 in 10 game performance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We have a 20% chance of making the POs.

It's not going to happen because this was a 1 in 10 game performance.

The percentage stuff to me is most BS. It's an educated guess that doesn't factor in the ebb and flow of a team's season. If January and December were flipped with this team, Dallas would be hard charging, only 7 points back, and they'd have 12 games to gain a few points just so they aren't more than 4 out of it ... choose your limit but for me the most points I'd feel comfortable to say they were within striking distance. They'd also have the same meaningless designation of 20% chance to get in.

That's not my point though ... and I actually agree with you they miss.

My point is that like I said yesterday ... that game was huge, and they remain at least in reason with reach of the playoffs. I don't think they'll survive the gauntlet of teams they face between now and March 5th. That's just my opinion, but the people still holding out some hope have at least a leg to stand on.

4 points makes a big difference when you're getting this close to the wire. Unfortunately, even a record just over .500 saw them gain no ground in November which is why I personally believe (and I agree with you) it's over. I expect them to have another run where they're really good and picking up points, but they'll probably also have another rough patch ... probably nothing as bad as 1-8-1 ... I can't ever remember anything that bad. That was just ... I can't even comprehend how that is possible.

Last night was one of the harder games to watch for me though in recent years. That 1-8-1 stretch did a number on my confidence in them, and even late in the 3rd I was waiting for disaster to strike. So no, I don't buy they're about to make a huge run, but faced with an obvious do or die challenge, I"m happy they stepped up, and they get to survive and hang on a bit longer before it's probably really over.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think Jason was discussing the possibilities for this team... even if we go 8-2-1 over the next 13... we're still .500 and .500 doesn't make the playoffs.

But it's all semantics. Barring an absolute miracle, we're boned.

MetalGodAOD*

Comparing to November isn't quite accurate since the East-West divide has rebalanced since New Year. The West is no longer feasting on the East and actually the opposite is happening, so going on a run now likely will produce better results than in November.

That doesn't change the fact we're still boned though, yes. Too much ground to make up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think Jason was discussing the possibilities for this team... even if we go 8-2-1 over the next 13... we're still .500 and .500 doesn't make the playoffs.

But it's all semantics. Barring an absolute miracle, we're boned.

Simple addition proves that's wrong. Not to mention the fact Dallas is already over .500 (short bus .500 NHL-style).

8-2-1 is 11 games BTW ... so I'll give you the 12th as a loss. If they go 8-3-1 ... add that to their current record of 22-20-8 and you get 30-23-9.

So BS ... if they go 8-3-1 ... half of this place will be whining because they gained a ton of ground and jeopardized the sell of, and the rest will be happy the playoffs are a real, obtainable shot again.

That's a pretty awful example though. That's an extreme situation that puts them right back on the door step ... which like I already said is the reason I agree with you it's unlikely.

It's delusional though to think any real mathematics has them close to out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's insane how often this board only excepts extremes and attacks any middle of the road argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad