Ivan Fedotov -- Flyers ELS contract tolled, signed KHL deal. UPD IIHF rules NHL contract valid, sanctions player, CSKA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For those curious: the contract and NHL CBA say Fedotov’s contract should be automatically extended one year.

My question would be whether there any wrinkles with European contract law where the IIHF could find the NHL’s extension rule invalid?

From the ELC SPC (entry level standard player contract):

IMG_2953.jpeg

It’s clear Fedotov agreed that the contract he signed is subject to the CBA.

From the CBA section on Entry Level Contracts:

IMG_2952.jpeg

Fedotov did not render his playing services to the Flyers in 2022-23. This was not caused by injury, illness or disability. Hence the contract should be extended to 2023-24.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While the NHL cut off their agreement with the KHL, I’d have to think they would be none too happy with the IIHF if they ruled against them. They shouldn’t just ‘accept’ a ruling that goes against a valid contract.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
With all the russian teams banned from IIHF event will they even accpet the ruling
cant penalize them if they dont ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

The contract Fedotov signed is absolutely binding and whichever people saying otherwise should probably resign from their position for bad knowledge of contract law.

The more appropriate question is whether it's binding to third parties, and it's definitely something the NHL will fight for recognition since it will make that mechanism absolutely toothless.

And come on, that's not a valid source...

Reactions: mouser

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Things must be changing in Russia concerning military training. I thought players were getting out of that commitment quite easily.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Things must be changing in Russia concerning military training. I thought players were getting out of that commitment quite easily.

Fedotov is the only guy out of like 1,450 KHL/VHLers to get conscripted.
That's more than 99.9% not doing military duty. Its the working class/poor who are getting called.

Werent you the guy who, a year ago, was adamant hockey players were gonna be sent to Ukraine en masse?:eyeroll:

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Fedotov is the only guy out of like 1,450 KHL/VHLers to get conscripted.
That's more than 99.9% not doing military duty. Its the working class/poor who are getting called.

Werent you the guy who, a year ago, was adamant hockey players were gonna be sent to Ukraine en masse?:eyeroll:

He wasn't conscripted. Russia has a mandatory service which is just a year. He tried to avoid that and got caught. If he was actually drafted it would be for more than just a year imo.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He wasn't conscripted. Russia has a mandatory service which is just a year. He tried to avoid that and got caught. If he was actually drafted it would be for more than just a year imo.

The situation was a little more nuanced than that. He was conscripted, or more like 'outed' for avoiding his mandatory duty without a deferment.....but he was essentially conscripted as a result.
Conscription is your 1 year mandatory service.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I was referring to the mandatory service and not conscription. I know it's expected but players have been getting out of it. Things must be changing for the prized children to be held back for duties they used to be able to skip out on.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I was referring to the mandatory service and not conscription. I know it's expected but players have been getting out of it. Things must be changing for the prized children to be held back for duties they used to be able to skip out on.

it wasn't that he tried to get out of it it was how. A fake pass showing that he eithered already served or was given an exemption. He got in trouble for that.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
it wasn't that he tried to get out of it it was how. A fake pass showing that he eithered already served or was given an exemption. He got in trouble for that.
From what I have read around here that was a common practice back in the day. Again, things must be changing.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
From what I have read around here that was a common practice back in the day. Again, things must be changing.

Has it not always been situational?
Some players were recently busted for fake military cards, but that was before the Ukraine debacle. Ex-Philly prospect Vorobiev was one.

I also recall reading here players were busted for the same when Cherepanov’s death was investigated; one of which was sent to the army. Some guy from Moscow Dynamo like 10 years ago too i think.

Reactions: Zine and Mike Jones

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
He will run away. Like Malkin did.
Might not be that easy. Many of the famous defections happened when teams/countries were competing outside their own countries and in the current political climate that isn't happening.

- Stastnys left from European Cup tournament in Vienna
- Mogilny left from World Championships in Stockholm
- Malkin left from training camp in Finland

Reactions: Kleefeld

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

If you ever needed evidence that Russian media is completely full of, well, you know what....
The 4-month ban on the player is hardly any deterrant. I suppose the 1-yr ban on the team could be somewhat "inconvenient", but they'll probably be able to work around it by just deferring any agreements they make with foreign players to not becoming "official" until August 11 next summer? Or really, just ignoring it, because why does it matter to them anyway when Russia is basically already banned from IIHF activities? :dunno:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He will run away. Like Malkin did.

Might not be that easy. Many of the famous defections happened when teams/countries were competing outside their own countries and in the current political climate that isn't happening.

- Stastnys left from European Cup tournament in Vienna
- Mogilny left from World Championships in Stockholm
- Malkin left from training camp in Finland

If Fedotov wanted to 'run away' he'd have done it already. He was on holiday in Dubai last month.
On the contrary he chose to re-up with CSKA because he knows he's not NHL quality after not playing for a year...and likely doesn't want to toil in the AHL.

Interesting decision by the IIHF, nonetheless.
The Russian Ice Hockey Federation said they'd comply with the IIHF's decision. Fedotov said he'd play for whoever's contract (Philadelphia or CSKA) IIHF has deemed more valid.
Let's see what CSKA/KHL does now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadrage

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Craziness

Lol. Of course Szymon Szemberg has to involve Putin in everything.:rolleyes:

Regardless, appears the decision has been made to make the KHL more like the NHL.
Even Igor Larionov is supporting this per an interview he gave recently.
Quite interesting.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Lol. Of course Szymon Szemberg has to involve Putin in everything.:rolleyes:

Regardless, appears the decision has been made to make the KHL more like the NHL.
Even Igor Larionov is supporting this per an interview he gave recently.
Quite interesting.

With what kind of money? If they want to keep russia players in russia then they have to pay the players a whole lot more and mean a whole lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad