Speculation: IV. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Declaration of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
We'll have to agree to disagree. I do think Nill will do something tonight though. I just hope it's not Spezza or Vinny.

I predict something from out of nowhere like the Seguin trade.

Ryan O'Rielly for Chiasson + Jokipakka and exchange of first rounders!

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
What about the Sedins? They're 34 in September, declining, and signed for another 4 years. Are they expecting to hold onto them just because? What is the play here?

What are their trade clauses? No interest in having them here. Just curious.

The new regime should split them up.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Ribeiro probably rides the white lightning. Get better soon man.

And he listens to rap music.

No kidding. One time I headed down to the hotel before game to grab some autos and he had Dr.Dre Nuthin But A G Thang pumpin' in his headphones. Which I thought was awesome. Big reason why I wanted him to stick around.

Then when I was chatting with him the one night he said he likes Rick Ross and rattled off a couple other new school losers. OKAY TRADE HIM!!

Don't like throwing him under the bus because he's a super nice guy, but yeah dude was out pretty late (I'm assuming passed curfew) and was smelling like skunk, pie eyed as heck.

I know some things about some of the current and past oiler players, and it aint good (worse than the chronic). So Ribs 100% is not the only one. And like glove said, its probable that a quarter of the players indulge there (chronic). Doesn't make it right, especially if it's affecting a player's game, personal life, and relationship with players/coaches/etc.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Alright, basing my thoughts on the Seguin trade. Go through the league and look for centers that are playing out of position and have some minor issues going on between them and the team management.

So far I only know Ryan O'Rielly (contract agreement issues). I'm sure they may be a couple of others.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
BigG, where is our cap standing at right now (with whatever you think Eakin, Dillon, Rousell will get)?

Check Cap Geek. They're awesome, and I'm pretty much unnecessary.

If you want to no dollar for dollar though:

Salary is more important to the Stars than Cap Hit since they won't be a cap team. Just so it's in an easy to find place, here is where they are with the cost of potential buyouts and retained moves.

I'm going to assume the Stars will budget Nichushkin earning his A bonuses. He earned a 1/4 of them this year, and small improvement in his totals would push him to earning the full $850K bonus.

$5.25 - Benn|$5.5 - Seguin|$1.775 - Nichushkin
$4 - Cole|$3.375 - Peverley|$0.9 - Chiasson
RFA - Roussel|RFA - Eakin|$1.6 - Garbutt
XXXX|$3 - Horcoff|$0.6 - Sceviour

Forwards |$26 million

$4.8 - Goligoski|$3.5 - Daley
$0.65 - Benn|RFA - Dillon
$5 - Gonchar|$0.81 - Nemeth
$0.65 - Connauton|$1.6 - Rome

Defense |$17.01 million

Goalie |$6.25 - Lehtonen

Total |$49.26 million

Cost/Savings of Buyouts
Player | Cost | Savings
Gonchar|$1.667|$3.333
Cole|$1.333|$2.667
Rome|$0.533|$1.067

Peverley on LTIR, likely career over, would result in insurance paying his $3.375 million salary and that coming off the budget.

Using 1 regular and 2 compliance buyouts, Dallas' salary would be at $42.193 million.

Without Peverley and using 3 buyouts, Dallas' salary would be at $38.818 million.

My best guess on RFA's today is:

Dillion: 2 years for $5 million ($2.5 Cap Hit); Y1: $2.25; Y2: $2.75
Eakin: 2 years for $4.5 million ($2.25 Cap Hit); Y1: $2; Y2: $2.5
Roussel: 2 years for $2.5 million ($1.25 Cap Hit); Y1: $1.1; Y2: $1.4
Jeffrey: 1 year for $687,500 (Minimum Required QO)
Glennie: 1 year, two-way, for $600,000 ($95K AHL)

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Everyone is talking Spezza, Thornton, and the others who have been in play a bit more in the national media but one name you don't hear often that I think I read first from Heika's coverage early in the off-season was Eric Staal. Might that name have come from someone close to the Stars?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My number for Eakin should probably be a bit higher now, and I think Dillon could be higher as well.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Stars should give Thornton the hard sell, he makes us a solid contendor for the cup if we don't give up much off the roster in exchange. If I'm Nill, I promise him that if he gives us the first two years of his contract to win a cup, we'll trade him wherever he wants to go in year 3 if he's not sure about this team. Whatever it takes to ge thim to waive that NTC.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Everyone is talking Spezza, Thornton, and the others who have been in play a bit more in the national media but one name you don't hear often that I think I read first from Heika's coverage early in the off-season was Eric Staal. Might that name have come from someone close to the Stars?

For some reason I thought he was signed for another 4-5 years. His contract as it is would be doable. No idea if he would actually be available though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad