Line Combos: It's time to shake things up...

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
If Phil doesn't have the puck on his stick when rushing up and down the boards, he's not doing much else. He is not the type of guy who is going to find open spots to be hit with passes in the seams - he generates off the rush and uses his speed with the puck to create his own chances.

Grabo is more creative with the puck and attacks the zone in between the circles rather than on the perimeter. It's Mogs/Sundin all over again, for this generation.

Watching the compilation of Kessel goals, I count 16 that came from great passes where Phil found open ice for himself. The rest were walking off the half boards or came on the rush. That is a significant number. He always tries to score on the rush because he HAS to because Bozak and MacArthur aren't good at finding him or getting his passes. That's pretty obvious after the first 5 games.

2nd quote: EXACTLY, this creates room for Kessel on the half boards. He's also good at cycling the puck. Bozak is only good for taking faceoffs and being semi-good defensively.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Gunnar - phanuef
Liles - komi
Kostka - gardiner

I think this stablizes the top line, komis off to a good start and they can get more time, and see how the ahl line does together in the bigs with there chemistry they should do fine under more sheltered minutes til gardiners back....

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Gunnar - phanuef
Liles - komi
Kostka - gardiner

I think this stablizes the top line, komis off to a good start and they can get more time, and see how the ahl line does together in the bigs with there chemistry they should do fine under more sheltered minutes til gardiners back....

I still prefer Franson over Kostka for a PP shooting threat.

PP pairings:
Phaneuf - Liles
Franson - Gardiner

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Honeymoon is over for Kostka guys come on!

Honeymoon, banged her, great sex, turn over in the morning and are shocked as to what she really looks like, divorce after honeymoon.

We are THAT over with this guy. Put in Jake The Snake Gardiner and Cody Franny Pack Franson.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honeymoon is over for Kostka guys come on!

Honeymoon, banged her, great sex, turn over in the morning and are shocked as to what she really looks like, divorce after honeymoon.

We are THAT over with this guy. Put in Jake The Snake Gardiner and Cody Franny Pack Franson.

LOL, agreed!

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
nobody wants to try:
JVR-Kadri-kessel
kule-grabo-frattin
mcclement-bozak-komarov
brownie-steckle-orr

phannie-gards
liles-gunnar
fraser-komi

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
dont mind that either, just think kessel needs to play with some kids to get him going, which is why i paired him with the younger two.

I wouldn't mind one of them either, but I don't want to break up the GKJ line, since they have had success so far.

Plus I think Kessel needs someone who can bang along the boards, and it seems Frattin's game is better suited for that than JVR.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind one of them either, but I don't want to break up the GKJ line, since they have had success so far.

Plus I think Kessel needs someone who can bang along the boards, and it seems Frattin's game is better suited for that than JVR.

i think thats why komarovs name has come up. guy is a swift skater too, just wonder about his ability with the puck. or whether itd be another bozie out there

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Stick with Grab-my-ovski, Kule as a Cucumber, and Mac A Eh?

Stick with the kid line, King Kadri, Frat Pack and Koma who hits until you're in a Coma.

Shove JVR with Bozie the Clown and Kessel the Blood Vessel.

Stick with Colton I Wish I was Bobby Orr, Mike The Whitest Name In The Planet Brown, and Jay Doomsday McClement.

Stick James Timothy Jebediah Reimer in net.

Have the Ivy League nerd Ben We Ain't Winnin With Scrivens on the sideline as backup.

= Automatic win!

:laugh: love the names.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JvR - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer/Franson
Liles - Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens/Rynnas

Steckel and MacArthur just aren't right for this team once Lupul comes back.
Send Kostka and Fraser back to the AHL.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If Phil doesn't have the puck on his stick when rushing up and down the boards, he's not doing much else. He is not the type of guy who is going to find open spots to be hit with passes in the seams - he generates off the rush and uses his speed with the puck to create his own chances.

Grabo is more creative with the puck and attacks the zone in between the circles rather than on the perimeter. It's Mogs/Sundin all over again, for this generation.
Exactly. Phil and Grabs should be on separate lines. Since Grabs is able to generate offence in between the circles, he'd be very appropriate on a shutdown line. He can take on top lines and then generate on the counter attack.

Someone who further solidify the defensive side and I think McClement can be that guy. Kulemin has speed and has proven that he can be a 30g sniper. Grabs can produce similar numbers, and both have yet to peak. Someone who can play a strong defensive game - especially against the best on the PK line - would fit beautifully on a shutdown line.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Watching the compilation of Kessel goals, I count 16 that came from great passes where Phil found open ice for himself. The rest were walking off the half boards or came on the rush. That is a significant number. He always tries to score on the rush because he HAS to because Bozak and MacArthur aren't good at finding him or getting his passes. That's pretty obvious after the first 5 games.

2nd quote: EXACTLY, this creates room for Kessel on the half boards. He's also good at cycling the puck. Bozak is only good for taking faceoffs and being semi-good defensively.
Who is going to be directing the play? Grabs tends to work best on the counter-offense. That doesn't necessarily exclude Kessel - thanks to his speed - but he seems to prefer directing the play.

Besides, Bozak on the second line probably wouldn't work. He wouldn't be a great puck distributor on a shutdown line. Kulemin, in addition, works with speed, can work on counter-attack, and have demonstrated great chemistry with Grabs in the past. Kadri could work, but he doesn't have a strong two-way presence yet. I just don't see him being part of a shut down line.

Your Top-9 line up would resemble this:

JVR - Grabs - Kessel
McClement - Kadri - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - Kamorov

I don't see how that works. Hockey is a 60 minute game. One can argue that talent is limited, but it still has to be distributed in a way that allow consistency for 60 minutes. Bozak must be used effectively, because last year, his line-mate produced 1PPG due to his solid two-way play.

OTOH, one that resembles this would be much more balanced for a 60 minute game:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel ( 2 out of the 3 players worked well last season)
McClement - Grabs - Kulemin ( Previous chemistry, McClement, due to his strong PK abilities, would prevent exhaustion when against elite lines).
Frattin - Kadri - Kamorov ( Sheltered minutes. It's rookie line after all.)

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
James vam Riemsdyk - Nazem Kadri - Phil Kessel
Matt Frattin - Mikhail Grabovski - Nik Kulemin
Clarke MacArthur - Tyler Bozak - Leo Komarov
Mike Brown - Jay McClement - Colton Orr

Dion Phaneuf - Carl Gunnarsson
JM Liles - Mike Komisarek
Jake Gardiner - Mike Kostka

DaveT83*

Healthy Scratches:

1. Phil Kessel aka Jason Blake 2 aka Mat Lombardi 2
2. Celine Dion Phaneuf
3. Mike Komi aka Jeff Finger 2
4. Stekel
5. Franson

#livingthedream

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Ok let's shake it up, my way:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel

MacArthur - Kadri - Lupul (Frattin)

Kulemin - Grabovski - Brown

Komarov - McClement - Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf

Liles - Komisarek

Fraser - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
JVR Kadri Kessel
Komarov Grabovski Frattin
Kulemin Bozak McClement
Brown Steckel Orr

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Frattin-Grabovski-Kulemin
McClement-Bozak-Komarov
Brown-Steckel-Orr

I'm hoping they call up Hamilton since Lupul and MacArthur are injured. Then I'd place Hamilton on the third line, McClement 4th line and Steckel as a healthy scratch.

Let Kadri and JVR have the top line for a few games. They proved to be our best offensive players overall the past five games. They can hopefully help Kessel get the monkey off his back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad